Lose Fat Not Pounds & Seeing Is Believing (before & after pics)

Dutchie

I am curious, did you guys take any aspirin when the lipofuscin appeared?

When I started experimenting with Peaty stuff in the summer of 2019 I took a lot of aspirin to prevent sunburn. During that time I developed lots of new yellow/brown'ish spots on my arms. There was another user here who reported the same thing happening from taking aspirin. Since I stopped taking it I haven't gotten any new ones and the old ones are fading away.

My theory is that aspirin chelates the iron in your body, and when this aspirin-iron chelate is exposed to UV radiation you get more lipid peroxidation. Maybe this is only a problem with excess iron levels.

There's also a connection between skin tags and insulin resistance. Some people don't do so well on OJ/milk protocol so that may be another factor.
Hi Korven

To answer your question, no I didn't take aspirinYour theory makes me theorize....aspirin is high in salicylates. I did eat (unknowingly) lots of high salicylates foods.
This makes me wonder if salicylates are the actual chelators of your theory....?

akgrrrl

Hi Korven

To answer your question, no I didn't take aspirinYour theory makes me theorize....aspirin is high in salicylates. I did eat (unknowingly) lots of high salicylates foods.
This makes me wonder if salicylates are the actual chelators of your theory....?
I did not take aspirin regularly, no.

Korven

Hi Korven

I did not take aspirin regularly, no.

Thanks for the answers, looks like my theory needs some refining LOL. Excess iron and/or PUFA and/or estrogen and/or vitamin E deficiency could also play a role in lipofuscin formation.

Also here's the thread I was thinking about: Increasing Number Of Lipofuscin On Arms, Legs

And you're right @Dutchie , the Peat diet is pretty high in salicylates which should also chelate iron the same way! Specific foods like oranges can also be photosensitizing. Since I stopped eating vegetables and most fruits (and aspirin) my skin never burns and has a more even tone.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"Even in rich cultures, protein deficiency, inappropriate exercise, and emotional tension will contribute to premature aging of the individual, and damage to the offspring.” -Ray Peat

JDreamer

Funny thing about low carb is, even "Low Carb Gurus" will state that the body needs at least 130g of glucose a day. If you aren't getting that through diet or glycogen, you have to get it through gluconeogenesis. But, converting protein to glucose isn't that efficient, and you need about 1.4g of protein to make 1g of sugar. So, on only 50g of carbs a day, you would have to convert about 112g of protein. Along with the 80-100g of protein that Peat suggests even smaller, mostly sedentary people need, you already need about 190-210g of protein just to maintain lean mass on only 50g of carbs a day.

No wonder it doesn't work so well in the long run.

A baseline of 100g of protein and about 150g of carbs should be the starting point for most people, and you can add to that based on activity levels and build and such.

This comment has really opened up my eyes. There was a period of almost 2 years where I went low-carb, low/no sugar, and was stressed out beyond all belief. I suspect I create blood sugar issues in the process.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
People always ask me what I ate in my "Losing Fat Not Pounds" experiment, and just as much as what I ate was important I also rarely ate a big meal, it was all small meal pairngs.i had forgotten about that until I heard Ray talk about that in this clip.

View: https://youtu.be/X_BKjS3rpmw

OP
Rinse & rePeat
This clip is Ray talking about the the dangers of fasting and too much meat and fats devoid of sugar. The thymus gland is particularly affected.

View: https://youtu.be/fXZhDZjsQ04

"The thymus gland is a small organ behind the breastbone that plays an important function both in the immune system and endocrine system. Though the thymus begins to atrophy (decay) during puberty, its effect in "training" T lymphocytes to fight infections and even cancer lasts for a lifetime." -verywellhealth.com

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"I have heard from several people that they think I recommend drinking whole milk, which I don't, because the amount of fat in whole milk is very likely to be fattening when a person is using it to get the needed protein and calcium. When a person wants to lose excess fat, limiting the diet to low fat milk, eggs, orange juice, and a daily carrot or two, will provide the essential nutrients without excess calories." -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"People on a standard diet will typically burn 200 or 300 more calories per day when that amount of sugar is added to their diet; but if extra fat is added, too, some of the extra calories are likely to be deposited as fat. It's important to watch the signs of changing heat production as the diet changes.
Yes, I know people who have lost weight just by eating a raw carrot every day, reducing endotoxin stress. The liver treats PUFA as it treats toxins, but when their concentration is too high, they poison the detoxifying system. Oleic acid, which we can make ourselves from carbohydrates, greatly activates the detox enzyme system." -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"Yes, that's why a resistant (antiseptic) fiber such as bamboo shoots or raw carrot helps with weight loss, it reduces endotoxin and the stress hormones, and lets the liver metabolize more effectively." -Ray Peat

Vileplume

"Yes, that's why a resistant (antiseptic) fiber such as bamboo shoots or raw carrot helps with weight loss, it reduces endotoxin and the stress hormones, and lets the liver metabolize more effectively." -Ray Peat
I recently listened to the KMUD interview titled “endocrinology part 2,” from 2017, and a woman called in who had gained 60 pounds Peating.

He recommended thyroid, progesterone, cleaning up the bowel, calcium, then sodium and magnesium. He also recommended lifting some weights to build muscle.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I recently listened to the KMUD interview titled “endocrinology part 2,” from 2017, and a woman called in who had gained 60 pounds Peating.

He recommended thyroid, progesterone, cleaning up the bowel, calcium, then sodium and magnesium. He also recommended lifting some weights to build muscle.

Yeah has soid light quick lifting of weights for a minute or two is good for building and strengthening muscles. I think I posted the quote a couple pages ago. How could someone keep doing what they are doing in the name of getting healthy seeing they are are gaining that kind of weight?

Vileplume

Yeah has soid light quick lifting of weights for a minute or two is good for building and strengthening muscles. I think I posted the quote a couple pages ago. How could someone keep doing what they are doing in the name of getting healthy seeing they are are gaining that kind of weight?
Agreed! I think if you gain that much weight, it’s more likely to be an inflammatory/thyroid/metabolic issue more so than a caloric issue

Vileplume

Maybe she didn't hear the part about ice cream being fattening!
Maybe, but she had a very low body temperature, so I think it was more about her energy production being poor. High body temp is the biggest thing for weight loss I think.

Wonder how she’s doing now, four years later.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Maybe, but she had a very low body temperature, so I think it was more about her energy production being poor. High body temp is the biggest thing for weight loss I think.

Wonder how she’s doing now, four years later.

Ohhh! Yeah you are right about that! Now that I have learned so much from Ray Peat, I feel worried about about people who are always cold. I remember 15 years ago when i was in the snowy mountains with my strong German father and he couldn't take the cold. I was so surprised how cold to the bone he was while the rest of us were fine. I tried everything to warm him, and he ended up sitting it out in the car. In retrospect I now see what was going on with him, via Ray Peat knowledge, and he has only gone downhill since. I wish I knew about body temperature back then.

Vileplume

Ohhh! Yeah you are right about that! Now that I have learned so much from Ray Peat, I feel worried about about people who are always cold. I remember 15 years ago when i was in the snowy mountains with my strong German father and he couldn't take the cold. I was so surprised how cold to the bone he was while the rest of us were fine. I tried everything to warm him, and he ended up sitting it out in the car. In retrospect I now see what was going on with him, via Ray Peat knowledge, and he has only gone downhill since. I wish I knew about body temperature back then.
Wow. I remember hearing in some other posts about your father’s grain consumption, and I’m sorry to hear about his troubling experiences. I fear the same for my mom and dad, who are slowly trying to learn more about Peat, but they just don’t really care. They don’t yet see how big of a difference can be made by these changes to our diet, even though I talk about it all the time. Like your dad getting too cold while everyone else felt fine, every symptom is a clue.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
It was odd him being cold because he is a big burly guy with ample fat and muscles, and very active too. I love having RP knowledge it is so helpful now to know what is going on inside.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“It is only in the face of excess PUFA estrogen, serotonin, cortisol and adrenaline that sugar is misused by the body” Danny Roddy.

taralynne

Considering Peat says that muscle burns fat it makes sense. I spent my whole life having a little protein with a couple of sides, and now just having protein with no sides and sugar instead makes it very easy to get in the minimum. The great thing is you don't lose the muscles you've built keeping protein and sugar high.
Hi Rinse... can you elaborate on your change to just having protein with no sides & sugar? What would a meal like this consist of for you? My apologies if you have already addressed this somewhere.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals