Loose stool from Magnesium Oxide

June

Can someone explain why diarrhea from taking Magnesium Oxide has slowed down. I started 2 days ago and it had me racing to the toilet after an hour of intake. Now....nothing. Some grumbling in my colon and I'm sure it will soften my stool, but nothing explosive like the first two days. I hope this is normal since I've read it's more common for Magnesium oxide to cause diarrhea =S

Phosphor

Why are you taking the least absorbable form of Mg unless you actually want diarrhea?

Phosphor

Poo pebbles often indicate dehydration. Many, many people are chronically dehydrated and have no clue because they are not thirsty. 1oz of water for every 2# (1kg) of body weight, daily. More if you live in a dry climate. At first you will pee like there is no tomorrow but after a few days your body will realize it can keep this water, and you will find it starts to retain and use the water, which eliminates the poo pebbles.
I live in the VERY dry desert, and thirst is no indicator of dehydration. Visitors come here and die when they have water on them but don't drink it because they weren't thirsty.

SamYo123

Poo pebbles often indicate dehydration. Many, many people are chronically dehydrated and have no clue because they are not thirsty. 1oz of water for every 2# (1kg) of body weight, daily. More if you live in a dry climate. At first you will pee like there is no tomorrow but after a few days your body will realize it can keep this water, and you will find it starts to retain and use the water, which eliminates the poo pebbles.
I live in the VERY dry desert, and thirst is no indicator of dehydration. Visitors come here and die when they have water on them but don't drink it because they weren't thirsty.
Weird, because im drinking plenty of milk, coffee and OJ. Something is dehydrating me. Coffee?

Phosphor

Weird, because im drinking plenty of milk, coffee and OJ. Something is dehydrating me. Coffee?
That was water intake, not milk, coffee, or OJ. Literally water. If you have not spent two weeks adhering to it, you have no idea what it would do. I measure my water every morning and make sure I drink it. I don't have pebbles.
That same protocol says if you drink a caffeinated drink, you need to add in twice that amount to your daily water intake. So if you drink 8oz of coffee, you need to add 16 oz of water.

Perry Staltic

Poo pebbles aren't necessarily a result of dehydration. I get them when I consistently take bacillus coagulens. I call it the blessed meatball experience because it sure beats pooing like a soft ice cream machine. And I drink a lot of water.

Last edited:
OP
J

June

Why are you taking the least absorbable form of Mg unless you actually want diarrhea?
I don't want diarrhea per say. I am using it for chronic constipation and immobile gut. I had a brain injury so my brain doesn't communicate that I need to go. I can titrate it so it's not diarrhea city although I haven't had a chance to test this out, cause it has already lost it's diarrhea effect. I'm genuinely curious why it went from diarrhea to what it is now, nothing. Is it because my body is now absorbing it? I'm sure I lack every mineral/vitamin on the list. But I have this paranoia that it's somehow collecting in my intestines and no longer drawing out water to help the bowel movements. Idk, just a paranoia with no proof behind it. Hoping someone can shed light. Thanks!

OP
J

June

nope i can even eat 3 cans of prunes with the juice and not have a goo poo, just pebbles
oh man..sorry to hear about that. Must be frustrating. I read about castor oil giving a good clean out. If you haven't tried that already, maybe the oiliness may help move it along. I think it was 3 tablespoons along with 3-4 cups of water spaced out every 15 mins. The water every 15 mins..not the castor oil.

tankasnowgod

There's one thread here that challenges that idea-

It seems the "least absorbable" claim is based on acute administration studies, not longer term studies with chronic supplementation (lasting weeks or months).

OP
J

June

This thread is really having me think. Maybe I'm not taking it with enough water. I'll try taking it with 2 full glasses and report back. So does diarrhea technically mean that I'm deficient in Magnesium? Hard to tell if Magnesium oxide is meant to go right through me.

Phosphor

Poo peebles aren't necessarily a result of dehydration. I get them when I consistently take bacillus coagulens. I call it the blessed meatball experience because it sure beats pooing like a soft ice cream machine. And I drink a lot of water.
Maybe the coagulens is dehydrating you.

What I take, from a recommendation of an alt doc decades ago is Mag Tab SR. I can take high doses, it is extremely absorbable, and my serum Mg is in the upper third of the range on a blood test. W/o Mg, I get neurological symptoms, or at least I did. I haven't tried going off it in a long time; I know that it's just not in the food any more as it was in the 1950s when I was growing up. I can take way less of this form than other forms that give me the runs.

If you want to move your bowels, I've always been under the impression (because I never had to try it) that you can start taking C at one gram an hour until you reach bowel tolerance, and then out it all comes.

Perry Staltic

Maybe the coagulens is dehydrating you.

My guess is that it is optimizing fecal matter coagulation (thus the name), which would mean it's not removing water from me, but from intestinal effluent, which water is then absorbed by the gut (because it ain't coming out my rear end). So it's probably doing the opposite and hydrating me.

Inaut

@June I find a glass of water first thing upon waking really stimulates my bowels. I recently started drinking more water after probably a year and a half of milk, OJ and limited water intake....I add hydrogen to the water so that is what started my drinking.

OP
J

June

@June I find a glass of water first thing upon waking really stimulates my bowels. I recently started drinking more water after probably a year and a half of milk, OJ and limited water intake....I add hydrogen to the water so that is what started my drinking.
Well glad to report that I no longer have diarrhea from the starting dose of Mag oxide and then the subsequent constipation. Like you suggested I started my day off with the magnesium and two glasses of water. Give it an hour and then it's off to the loo and I experience large release of soft stool. Maybe there was a sort of "coagulation" going on before and needed the water to flood it out. I prefer not to use anything for bowel movements but I must keep the colon clear enough as to not compound SIBO at the moment. I'm pretty content with this technique for now. All thanks to the support here.

Mauritio

Well glad to report that I no longer have diarrhea from the starting dose of Mag oxide and then the subsequent constipation. Like you suggested I started my day off with the magnesium and two glasses of water. Give it an hour and then it's off to the loo and I experience large release of soft stool. Maybe there was a sort of "coagulation" going on before and needed the water to flood it out. I prefer not to use anything for bowel movements but I must keep the colon clear enough as to not compound SIBO at the moment. I'm pretty content with this technique for now. All thanks to the support here.
Do you still use mag oxide ?

Mauritio

Hi! Yes I do but not daily. I do space it out a couple days.
Nice thanks. I started today as well to speed up transit time.