Looking For "top 12" Vitamin/mineral Deficiency Plot

Cirion

I saw a really nice plot that clearly showed the top 10-12 or so deficiencies and it included % (how many % of people have the deficiencies) and I am upset with myself because I didn't save the picture and now can't find it, was posted somewhere in these forums, but completely forgot where.

Can anyone point me to where it is?

If it helps, the plot looked something like this:

Where the X axis was % deficiency, and the vitamins/minerals were ordered in ranking of decreasing rate of deficiency kinda like how this example plot is laid out.

Thanks...

OP
Cirion

Cirion

Nevermind! I found it!

upload_2019-5-6_17-19-38-png.13073

What Nutrients Are We NOT Getting Due To Current Agriculture?

OP
Cirion

Cirion

Yeah dunno. I don't think it's a catch all graphic, just based upon RDA, not ODA (optimal daily value).

If you look in the lens of ODA, magnesium could perhaps be #1. I'm just now realizing my magnesium intake has been way, way way way too low and could be why I have been spinning my wheels.

Rethinking Magnesium: Why You're Deficient And Need To Supplement

Suggests I might need to be as high as 2,000 mg a day and sometimes I get maybe 15-20% that.

That 93% VE number definitely makes me glad I decided to start supplementing VE again tho.

ExCarniv

Yeah dunno. I don't think it's a catch all graphic, just based upon RDA, not ODA (optimal daily value).

If you look in the lens of ODA, magnesium could perhaps be #1. I'm just now realizing my magnesium intake has been way, way way way too low and could be why I have been spinning my wheels.

Rethinking Magnesium: Why You're Deficient And Need To Supplement

Suggests I might need to be as high as 2,000 mg a day and sometimes I get maybe 15-20% that.

That 93% VE number definitely makes me glad I decided to start supplementing VE again tho.

Yes, Magnesium is a game changer imo, I'm taking 400mg on top of what I get from foods and I'm nearly 800mg daily and some days 1000mg

OP
Cirion

Cirion

The crazy thing is you can be deficient at even 1,000 mg. I'm not saying you are necessarily but just keep in mind. 1,000 is definitely better than most people get tho. The guy in that article I just linked, he said he was deficient despite getting 1,000 a day. Part of that is it seems he works out a lot, which can drain magnesium.

ExCarniv

Yes heavy workouts, stress, iron overload, bluelight, EMFs etc all deplete magnesium, so even at 1000mg one could be deficient.

rob

On minerals like magnesium and zinc, depends on absorption as well given phyates in plant sources... brings bioavailability right down. Plus magnesium deficiency inhibits calcium absorption so imagine people aren’t always getting the calcium they think they are.

Btw, amazed potassium isn’t in there alongside, as mentioned, K2.

Last edited:
OP
Cirion

Cirion

Yeah I think that plot is only vs. RDA and not vs. actual measured deficiencies so maybe it's not that great of a plot after all. Still, if one isn't getting RDA, they are probably deficient also. But one can easily be deficient and getting the RDA.

schultz

Neat. Surprised vitamin C is there. A lot of those vitamins that people are getting are probably from fortification, otherwise I would think those B's would be much higher. Lol @ carbohydrate being on there.

CLASH

No one is actually deficient in Vit A, its really a poison lol........

CLASH

Also, thank god no one is deficient in thier essential fatty acids, wouldnt want any epidemics of scaly skin rashes....

Ella

Forum Supporter
Good thyroid function is required to hang onto magnesium.

On minerals like magnesium and zinc, depends on absorption as well given phyates in plant sources... brings bioavailability right down. Plus magnesium deficiency inhibits calcium absorption so imagine people aren’t always getting the calcium they think they are.

Btw, amazed potassium isn’t in there alongside, as mentioned, K2.

Calcium-Magnesium inhibition doesnt seem to be a thing though,there is no inhibition seemingly even in high-range intakes.

_lppaiva

Interesting graphic, I'm wandering why Vitamin K isn't there.

Probably they aren't considering K2 specially, but vitamin K in general, which is abundant in plants (as K1). Also, since there is no RDA for vitamin K2, it's hard to assume what would be considered "deficient".

_lppaiva

Calcium-Magnesium inhibition doesnt seem to be a thing though,there is no inhibition seemingly even in high-range intakes.

Interesting, I have seen many studies showing calcium inhibits magnesium, and have timed my supplements accordingly to low calcium meals, as high phosphate+calcium, but not phosphate alone, has been shown to inhibit absorption, as it forms a inorganic salts.

Interaction of Calcium and Phosphate Decreases Ileal Magnesium Solubility and Apparent Magnesium Absorption in Rats

I am not sure, but unfortunately think this applies to daily intake, not meal intake. Even though avoiding consuming magnesium with calcium has been my go to, as I have "calcium rich meals", usually in morning and late evening. I take around 200-300mg of Magnesium bisglycinate + around 500 from diet (mainly bananas, OJ and potatoes).

Surprisengly, fermentable fiber and fructose has been shown to increase magnesium absorption, my guess is by slowing digestion time and increasing absorption in the large intestine, which is relatively small (5%). The downside of endotoxin formation might be an issue though.

I'd recommend taking my supplements with OJ+eggs, OJ+gelatin or any Fruit+Protein of your preference. I'd avoid high Magnesium foods though, as high intake at once leads to increased excretion.

_lppaiva

This.

"
The effect of calcium on Mg absorption has been subject
to some discussion [22, 98-100]. In the majority of the > 2
dozen rat studies reported in the literature, high levels of
dietary calcium decreased Mg absorption. Most of these
diets however were marginal in Mg and contained relatively
high amounts of both calcium and phosphorus. Mg
concentration in the human diet is typically less marginal
and calcium and phosphorus concentrations are lower than in
the rat diets. The majority of studies in humans did not
indicate an effect of consuming up to 2000 mg calcium/d on
Mg absorption [101-106]. Studies showing a negative effect
of calcium on Mg absorption were based on diets containing
marginal amounts of Mg and high amounts of phosphorus
[107], or were based on perfusion [108] and not normal
dietary intake."

I have the technological knowledge of a 60 year old man, so I don't know how to attach the file. If anyone could help out :D