Looking For Thoughts On My Labs

answersfound

I had these done about 2 weeks ago. At the time, I had been taking NDT for about 1.5 months. Please let me know your thoughts. My doctor wants to put me on 5 mg of Cytomel, twice a day to bring down RT3. I really just want the desiccated thyroid to work, but I don't know why it hasn't helped.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-02-26 at 6.27.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-02-26 at 6.27.56 PM.png
    50.4 KB · Views: 537
  • Screen Shot 2015-02-26 at 6.24.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-02-26 at 6.24.38 PM.png
    50.9 KB · Views: 535

aguilaroja

lookingforanswers said:
... My doctor wants to put me on 5 mg of Cytomel, twice a day to bring down RT3. I really just want the desiccated thyroid to work, but I don't know why it hasn't helped.

The TSH value is near the upper end of normal but “high” in terms of the progressive interpreters and even the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists

http://thyroid.about.com/od/gettestedan ... stwars.htm

That suggests thyroid function may be remaining low. Of course, it is always best to put the lab values together with symptoms and signs.

I think more than “reverse T3” adjustment, many people just need a different ratio of T4(levothyroxine) to T3 (liothyronine). The ratio is fixed at 4 to 1 (T4/T3) in NDT.

Cytomel (T3) is shorter acting so also has the advantage of quicker adjustments if things get too high (or too low). I wish to avoid making Cytomel sound like a cure-all. For a small percentage but noticeable percentage of people, it helps quickly. The “synthetic” T4 and T3 are “bio-identical”, meaning that it is the same chemical compound from either source-NDT or not.

You have posted on other threads and I have not read all of them. If there is concern about over-reaction, you could certainly experiment with even smaller doses of Cytomel.

SQu

Peat discusses initial doses in a few micrograms not milligrams. And t3 doesn't work for everyone. Responses vary. And I think the aim is to have also a little t4 at bedtime too.
But you might want to take the prescription ( for which I had to beg my doc) and if you can split the pill up enough, follow peat's dosing advice in the emailed help section. It worked for me when NDT made me more hypo - a common experience.

aguilaroja

sueq said:
Peat discusses initial doses in a few micrograms not milligrams....

Yes, it is an important point, perhaps representing a typo in the original post by looking4.

Both cytomel (liothyronine) and levothyroxine are usually dosed in micrograms (mcg) rather than milligrams (mg). A few MICROgrams of cytomel is a reasonable range for trial dosing. A few MILLI-grams of cytomel would generally be too much.

Quality

Get some levothyroxine, it is far better at crushing TSH down than cytomel, lower TSH = better mood aswell.
Since TSH is known to also affect secretion of prolactin.
Also try to increase your vitamin d3, it is in the range, but low imo.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals