Looking For Suggestions To Soften, Liquify Coconut Oil Quickly During Winter Months

jzeno

Right now, I rely on using a hot water bath or placing a semi-conductive plate on an electric stove range coil, set the temp on low and place the coconut oil in it's container and there and just let it chill while I'm not using it until it softens and then use that again once it hardens.

I don't own a microwave.

Do you know of or use a better technique?

Thanks in advance.

marcar72

Maybe set the jar on the stove top if you have a gas range. It would be just enough heat to keep the coconut oil soft perhaps!

Literally

As I understand it, microwaves are tuned to water anyhow and aren't super effective at heating non-watery things.

I also just use a water bath, and it takes forever to melt a jar of fat. One possibility would be to portion into smaller quantity jars.

They sell resistors for heating coffee etc. basically you plug these things in and insert directly into liquid. You could try that perhaps, setting it on top of the solid fat at first. I would make sure it's not getting too hot at the point of contact.

We use an ice cream scoop when we have a big jar and heat in the skillet, for small quantities.

You can also buy in many grocery stores now "liquid at room temperature" coconut oil, which has the lauric acid (I think) removed. It's not quite as good for your but convenient in the winter months.

OP
jzeno

jzeno

I put it in the oven and leave the light on. Close the door, of course. That little 15W bulb will keep it liquid.
Nice idea

Unfortunately, my oven doesn't have a bulb! I do have a toaster oven with a "warm" setting, so maybe I'll stick a thermometer in there and see if it gets too hot for the plastic tub that the coconut oil comes in.

Thanks for the idea. I'll remember that for when I do have an oven with a light.

Right now, I rely on using a hot water bath or placing a semi-conductive plate on an electric stove range coil, set the temp on low and place the coconut oil in it's container and there and just let it chill while I'm not using it until it softens and then use that again once it hardens.

I don't own a microwave.

Do you know of or use a better technique?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20211015_085009.jpg
    20211015_085009.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 4
Back
Top Bottom