Looking For Advice On Supplements

brix

Hello,

I am a 27 year old male with test levels in the upper 400s, TSH over 3, hair loss, low libido, and hard time gaining muscle and losing fat, even though I work out 3x a week. It is difficult for me to know where to begin because all of these are related and want to get to the root of the problem instead of addressing individual symptoms.

I own some idealabs products
  • estroban - daily
  • gonadin - mostly daily
  • 5-DHP - 5 drops AM
  • pansterone - 2 drops AM
  • tyromix - not taking at the moment

and also supplement taurine and niacinimide occasionally. However, I have not seen much improvement. Does anyone have advice on what I am doing wrong or what can change in my protocol? Thank you!

Wagner83

What's your diet ? Weight and height? Why did you try before using these supplements to improve health?

OP
B

brix

What's your diet ? Weight and height? Why did you try before using these supplements to improve health?

6'2, 185 lbs. My diet is pretty meat/carb heavy. A few servings of fruits and veggies everyday with whey protein.
Before these supplements I tried everything... Zinc, Magnesium, Creatine, multi-vitamins, gluten free diet, no beer/alcohol. All to no avail.
Everything all happened at the same time when I was 20. Woke up one day to having an insanely itchy scalp with dandruff and hair loss. Libido tanked after and had trouble with ED ever since.

GoodOlMiak

What made a huge difference for me was cutting out poly unsaturated fats (PUFAs) and cooking with coconut oil. I am now focusing on eliminating endotoxin and estrogen from inside my gut (raw carrots daily, coconut oil, and no legumes).

Even though Ray Peat recommends avoiding nuts, I'll have two Brazil nuts everyday for the selenium content. I feel the benefits outweigh the cons.

I also add gelatin to my coffee. I've heard Ray mention in an interview with Danny Roddy that gelatin is important to consume for someone who is losing weight.

I've had success with this in keeping slim and toned without supplements (except Vitamin D3).

What kind of carbs and protein are you eating?

OP
B

brix

What made a huge difference for me was cutting out poly unsaturated fats (PUFAs) and cooking with coconut oil. I am now focusing on eliminating endotoxin and estrogen from inside my gut (raw carrots daily, coconut oil, and no legumes).

Even though Ray Peat recommends avoiding nuts, I'll have two Brazil nuts everyday for the selenium content. I feel the benefits outweigh the cons.

I also add gelatin to my coffee. I've heard Ray mention in an interview with Danny Roddy that gelatin is important to consume for someone who is losing weight.

I've had success with this in keeping slim and toned without supplements (except Vitamin D3).

What kind of carbs and protein are you eating?

It is hard for me to be low PUFA as I work at a restaurant and rely on the food there a few times a week. But at home I use coconut oil for the most part.
I eat rice, potatoes, and bread for carbs. Oats in my smoothie. Probably could be better about it. My protein intake is mostly meat (2x a day - small portion) and a scoop or 2 of whey isolates.

GoodOlMiak

That's pretty good!

I work in a restaurant as well and we use canola oil or vegetable shortening for everything. I do shred some carrots for a carrot salad.

Activated charcoal, vitamin E or carrot salads can mitigate some of the unwanted effects.

If the oats and bread don't cause you any problems you can keep eating them in moderate amounts.

I've heard Georgi a.k.a. Haidut (on the forum) talk about mixing whey protein with casein and gelatin in a 1:1:1 ratio. Supposed to help with testosterone levels and feeds the liver good amino acids to produce hormones.

I believe your diet should work for your life.

Are you looking for a particular result or "fix"?

OP
B

brix

That's pretty good!

I work in a restaurant as well and we use canola oil or vegetable shortening for everything. I do shred some carrots for a carrot salad.

Activated charcoal, vitamin E or carrot salads can mitigate some of the unwanted effects.

If the oats and bread don't cause you any problems you can keep eating them in moderate amounts.

I've heard Georgi a.k.a. Haidut (on the forum) talk about mixing whey protein with casein and gelatin in a 1:1:1 ratio. Supposed to help with testosterone levels and feeds the liver good amino acids to produce hormones.

I believe your diet should work for your life.

Are you looking for a particular result or "fix"?

Our salad has raw carrot :) and I agree that a whey/casein/gelatin mix would be amazing.
My biggest issue is hair loss. Have tried everything under the sun, even propecia, and nothing has stopped it. It has even gotten worse the last couple of weeks.

Progesterone

Our salad has raw carrot :) and I agree that a whey/casein/gelatin mix would be amazing.
My biggest issue is hair loss. Have tried everything under the sun, even propecia, and nothing has stopped it. It has even gotten worse the last couple of weeks.

Have you tried progesterone?

Right now I'm using healthnatura's simply progesterone, 100mg put into a gelatin capsule, and taken orally, once nightly. I also use a bit under my tongue and on lips.

Why am I using this orally in such a high dosage?

This was prescribed to someone on a hairloss transplant forum, by his father who is an MD. Told him NOT to use finasteride, and use this instead. It worked for him, stopped his loss and made his hair thicker, he got a transplant to fill in the hairline, worked perfect.

Considering how pro-hair progesterone is, I would highly recommend you try this as well.

I only just started the oral progesterone a few days ago however I expect to see some results in about 6months. At the very least, I hope I won't lose more hair.

Also, take taurine 9g daily, spread out in 2-3 doses throughout the day.

You can also try to use selenium based shampoo like Selsun Blue (it inhibits PGD2).

Pointless

I don't think a huge dose of progesterone is going to help him with libido and muscle mass (maybe muscle mass but definitely not libido)

Before I get into this, let me just say that you definitely have hypothyroidism, and correcting your thyroid deficiency can resolve all these problems. Not only that, but no therapy will work as well as it should without adequate metabolic energy.

I have hair loss that's exacerbated by Peating. I've lost a few inches hairline in the 2 years since I started. I've tried the standard recommendations like B6, other B vitamins that can be caused by "PUFA deficiency", high dose vitamin A up to 100,000 IU with D/E/K2, none of that has worked. You might want to try that stuff first, regardless...

What's working for me now is bag breathing 2x/day, in 2 sets of 1 minute each. I mix a little bit of baking soda with ~500 mg pure aspirin crystals with water in my hand, then I put in my cleansing conditioner and rub it in my scalp. I let it sit there for 5-10 min. and then wash it out. Twice a day I apply glycerine and water, also.

The bag breathing increases CO2 which helps blood flow and pretty much helps everything. Danny Roddy has proven that it is involved in hair loss. The aspirin inhibits prostaglandins that cause hair loss and kills the yeast that infects the follicles. The glycerine stops excessive skin cell growth and moisturizes. I've had a reduction in hair loss and definite reduction in itching, but it's still early to say for sure whether it's working 100% and will result in regrowth.

Also, since your symptoms came on so suddenly, it sounds like some kind of pathogen or infection. You might want to consider some of the endotoxin strategies which were posted above. Some other users here have had good results in slowing hair loss by addressing endotoxin and gut health. Maybe consider sublimed sulfur or even low dose antibiotics but there are some horror stories about that last one.

DaveFoster

I've heard of success with nicotine for scalp issues, and nicotine shares a great deal of overlap in function with T3 as a mitochondrial uncoupler.

Progesterone is the safest way to improve your hair, but too much will lower your libido. Thyroid will allow you to use less progesterone. Alternatively, you can drink coffee and use progesterone.

Bag breathing is a good complement to coffee, as it prevents hyperventilation and anxiety from caffeine, which helps to stabilize the mitochondria in a high-energy state.

Experienced

I've heard of success with nicotine for scalp issues, and nicotine shares a great deal of overlap in function with T3 as a mitochondrial uncoupler.

Progesterone is the safest way to improve your hair, but too much will lower your libido. Thyroid will allow you to use less progesterone. Alternatively, you can drink coffee and use progesterone.

Bag breathing is a good complement to coffee, as it prevents hyperventilation and anxiety from caffeine, which helps to stabilize the mitochondria in a high-energy state.

I sometimes get heavy headaches after drinking coffee is bag breathing a solution for it? and do you daily recommend to do bag breathing don`t you?

DaveFoster

I sometimes get heavy headaches after drinking coffee is bag breathing a solution for it? and do you daily recommend to do bag breathing don`t you?
I do it as much as possible that's comfortable. If you're getting headaches, drink less coffee with more sugar.

DaveFoster

I wanted to avoid Sucrose and being more concentrated on Fruit sugar buddy :( but what do you think about sucrose?
It's fine; just get enough nutrients from actual food as well.

sele

TSH over 3, hair loss, low libido, and hard time gaining muscle and losing fat, even though I work out 3x a week.
Theses are very common for an over burdened liver.
By any chance, do you drink alcohol or smoke cigarettes?
Is your diet high in fats?
Do you get hypoglycemic and fatigue quickly?

OP
B

brix

Have you tried progesterone?

Right now I'm using healthnatura's simply progesterone, 100mg put into a gelatin capsule, and taken orally, once nightly. I also use a bit under my tongue and on lips.

Why am I using this orally in such a high dosage?

This was prescribed to someone on a hairloss transplant forum, by his father who is an MD. Told him NOT to use finasteride, and use this instead. It worked for him, stopped his loss and made his hair thicker, he got a transplant to fill in the hairline, worked perfect.

Considering how pro-hair progesterone is, I would highly recommend you try this as well.

I only just started the oral progesterone a few days ago however I expect to see some results in about 6months. At the very least, I hope I won't lose more hair.

Also, take taurine 9g daily, spread out in 2-3 doses throughout the day.

You can also try to use selenium based shampoo like Selsun Blue (it inhibits PGD2).

I have no tried progesterone, just 5a-DHP. That makes sense because progesterone is almost identical to finasteride. I may try it soon.
I don't think a huge dose of progesterone is going to help him with libido and muscle mass (maybe muscle mass but definitely not libido)

Before I get into this, let me just say that you definitely have hypothyroidism, and correcting your thyroid deficiency can resolve all these problems. Not only that, but no therapy will work as well as it should without adequate metabolic energy.

I have hair loss that's exacerbated by Peating. I've lost a few inches hairline in the 2 years since I started. I've tried the standard recommendations like B6, other B vitamins that can be caused by "PUFA deficiency", high dose vitamin A up to 100,000 IU with D/E/K2, none of that has worked. You might want to try that stuff first, regardless...

What's working for me now is bag breathing 2x/day, in 2 sets of 1 minute each. I mix a little bit of baking soda with ~500 mg pure aspirin crystals with water in my hand, then I put in my cleansing conditioner and rub it in my scalp. I let it sit there for 5-10 min. and then wash it out. Twice a day I apply glycerine and water, also.

The bag breathing increases CO2 which helps blood flow and pretty much helps everything. Danny Roddy has proven that it is involved in hair loss. The aspirin inhibits prostaglandins that cause hair loss and kills the yeast that infects the follicles. The glycerine stops excessive skin cell growth and moisturizes. I've had a reduction in hair loss and definite reduction in itching, but it's still early to say for sure whether it's working 100% and will result in regrowth.

Also, since your symptoms came on so suddenly, it sounds like some kind of pathogen or infection. You might want to consider some of the endotoxin strategies which were posted above. Some other users here have had good results in slowing hair loss by addressing endotoxin and gut health. Maybe consider sublimed sulfur or even low dose antibiotics but there are some horror stories about that last one.

I will try bag breathing as well. I use solban topically, which has a small amount of aspirin.
Theses are very common for an over burdened liver.
By any chance, do you drink alcohol or smoke cigarettes?
Is your diet high in fats?
Do you get hypoglycemic and fatigue quickly?

I do drink somewhat regularly and also smoke... I have taken weeks off of both at the same time with little change in libido/hair loss/weight.
My diet is somewhat high in fats but nothing outrageous.
I do fatigue quickly and might get hypoglycemic too often. What would you suggest?

sele

I do drink somewhat regularly and also smoke... I have taken weeks off of both at the same time with little change in libido/hair loss/weight.
My diet is somewhat high in fats but nothing outrageous.
I do fatigue quickly and might get hypoglycemic too often. What would you suggest?
I'm sharing what I've observed over the years.
#1: Smoking and drinking is a no-no if you want to keep your hair and help your liver.
You are missing the vitamins B1,B2,and B7 from your list of supps.
Should take B3 more often.
Hormone supps will only work when you are able to give energy to the cells and stop the stress.
The B vitamins will help with glycogen production, storage and supply.
Lay off the whey. Probably has soy lecithin in it.
Creatine is estrogenic.
Protect yourself from PUFA with vitamin E.
Fried food in PUFA is a major hair killer.
Make sure you're getting 2g of calcium from food.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals