Longevity

tygertgr

Why I Hope to Die at 75

> here is a simple truth that many of us seem to resist: living too long is also a loss. It renders many of us, if not disabled, then faltering and declining, a state that may not be worse than death but is nonetheless deprived.

What is the point of living a very long time? I keep seeing totally crazy stuff about immortality crop up around here. We are born, we mature, and we die. To rebel against this obvious fact is crazy. Sure, nutrition can help prolong vitality and productivity and it's worth talking about to some extent. At the same time all my grandparents ate loads of Crisco (Tm) and lived into their 90s. (Repeated threads about Peat being notable for his age. He's simply not. Sure, many die much younger, but you can barely throw a rock without hitting a smart 80 year old who would look at you ****-eyed if you said poofah.)

New science blooms after star researchers die – To Extract Knowledge from Matter

Last edited:
B

Braveheart

Why I Hope to Die at 75

> here is a simple truth that many of us seem to resist: living too long is also a loss. It renders many of us, if not disabled, then faltering and declining, a state that may not be worse than death but is nonetheless deprived.

What is the point of living a very long time? I keep seeing totally crazy stuff about immortality crop up around here. We are born, we mature, and we die. To rebel against this obvious fact is crazy. Sure, nutrition can help prolong vitality and productivity and it's worth talking about to some extent. At the same time all my grandparents ate loads of Crisco (Tm) and lived into their 90s. (Repeated threads about Peat being notable for his age. He's simply not. Sure, many die much younger, but you can barely throw a rock without hitting a smart 80 year old who would look at you ****-eyed if you said poofah.)

New science blooms after star researchers die – To Extract Knowledge from Matter
:darts::thumbsup: