Long-Term L-Serine Administration Reduces Food Intake And Improves Oxidative Stress And Sirt1/NFκB S

Grapelander

Serine has recently been shown to reduce oxidative stress and inflammation, which, when occurring in the hypothalamus, contribute to age-related obesity.
The results showed that the administration of 0.5% (w/v) L-serine significantly reduced food intake and body weight gain during the experiment. Moreover, the administration of 0.5% L-serine decreased the concentrations of leptin, malondialdehyde, interleukin-1β, and interleukin-6, while it increased those of superoxide dismutase and glutathione, in both the serum and hypothalamus.

Goobz

Thanks for posting this. I take l-serine and it seems to have had good results for me with cognition, mood and sleep. I remember seeing this study a while ago, it's good to be reminded.

There is a guy out there with a theory about Alzheimer's, Parkinsons, and ALS being caused by a neurotoxin from blue green algae, which displaces l-serine. Taking l-serine as a supplement is his recommended protection against it. From memory, he even had a pilot study showing it dramatically slowed down ALS progression, which barely anything seems to be able to do. Anyone who is interested can google "Paul Cox" and "Alzheimer's" or "ALS" etc.

Elie

Forum Supporter
Serine has recently been shown to reduce oxidative stress and inflammation, which, when occurring in the hypothalamus, contribute to age-related obesity.
The results showed that the administration of 0.5% (w/v) L-serine significantly reduced food intake and body weight gain during the experiment. Moreover, the administration of 0.5% L-serine decreased the concentrations of leptin, malondialdehyde, interleukin-1β, and interleukin-6, while it increased those of superoxide dismutase and glutathione, in both the serum and hypothalamus.

0.5% (w/v) is a measure of concentration, say 500 mg per 100 ml. But any idea what a daily dose would be.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
@Elie, I realize this is an old post but figured I’d put it here for any future interest.
24E65809-26D4-4A87-A95D-150439F6FD27.jpeg

Validus

Thoughts on phosphatidylserine being more optimal than just l-serine?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
@Ionson, I’ve only tried L-Serine so don’t really know. Hopefully someone with knowledge/experience of both will reply. I just recently tried L-Serine based on a recommendation for sleep. Since sleep has been my Achilles Heel after working nights off and on for 20 years I’m game to try just about anything tbh. What surprised me the most was how much better I handle stress. I wasn’t expecting it but my stress management score from Fitbit improved by an average of 8-10 points within a couple days of starting it for sleep.
5CAACF6F-78A2-426D-A648-2FE910FE4494.png
E13CA339-9E7B-4C47-885E-D4C12AE4F88C.png

David PS

Thoughts on phosphatidylserine being more optimal than just l-serine?

I like the idea of providing the body with the components that it needs to assemble phosphatidylserine itself. Phosphatidylserine is not always without risk the appears to be true if someone is taking certain pharmaceuticals.

Foods With Most Serine and Threonine