Long Cycle?

thegiantess

It's basically impossible to find any reliable info out there about the causes of a long cycle. Most general info says that a cycle 21-35 days is normal. I find this hard to believe. I am wondering what is optimal? My cycles run every 31 days, but I often have light bleeding past 7 days. I think this suggests a deficiency of progesterone... does that seem right? Anyone know what makes a cycle longer or shorter? I will get a hormone panel later in my cycle to see where I stand, but in the meantime has anyone had success shortening their cycle?

tara

31 days doesn't seem extreme. I've never tried to shorten my cycle (mine was typically a bit short), but I think a sudden drop in progesterone levels can trigger menstruation. You could try cycling progesterone supplement - like daily from after ovulation till just before you think menstruation should occur, then stop it for a couple of weeks and repeat, and see if that feels good?

Peata

I used to get the prolonged bleeding too, very light that would go on for days before my period would finally "come on". And then once it did that, it would just last a day or two longer. I read it is estrogen dominance/low progesterone.

Before my mother had a hysterectomy, she got to the point where she bled all the time. In my late 30's, I mentioned to my doctor that I was having the prolonged light bleeding, and he wanted to put me back on the pill.

My periods are better since I take aspirin regularly.

OP
thegiantess

thegiantess

31 days doesn't seem extreme. I've never tried to shorten my cycle (mine was typically a bit short), but I think a sudden drop in progesterone levels can trigger menstruation. You could try cycling progesterone supplement - like daily from after ovulation till just before you think menstruation should occur, then stop it for a couple of weeks and repeat, and see if that feels good?
Idk why, but supplementing with progesterone makes me nervous. With my interest in bio hacking you would think I wouldn't be such a wimp. I should totally get over it and give it a try! Thanks.

OP
thegiantess

thegiantess

I used to get the prolonged bleeding too, very light that would go on for days before my period would finally "come on". And then once it did that, it would just last a day or two longer. I read it is estrogen dominance/low progesterone.

Before my mother had a hysterectomy, she got to the point where she bled all the time. In my late 30's, I mentioned to my doctor that I was having the prolonged light bleeding, and he wanted to put me back on the pill.

My periods are better since I take aspirin regularly.
Interesting. You would think a blood thinner would have the opposite effect.

tara

Idk why, but supplementing with progesterone makes me nervous. With my interest in bio hacking you would think I wouldn't be such a wimp. I should totally get over it and give it a try! Thanks.
You've probably seen me express caution about quite a few things on these forums, and it's taken me a while to get to trying some things.
But somehow progesterone doesn't look as dangerous to me as some of the others. The cautions I can think of would be:
- if there is a definite goiter, in which case supplementing progesterone could release a lot of thyroid hormone at once, potential thyroid hyperthyroid patch - Peat suggests dealing with goiter first.
- large doses can over-anaesthetise - avoid by taking small doses (maybe multiple, at least 10 min apart) till you find out how it affects you. taking 3 drops x5/day is unlikely to come anywhere near such effects, but sometimes people use higher doses for particular purposes. It might make you more relaxed, so first time you try it maybe pick a day when you don't have to work extra hard.
- need to have enough blood sugar available
- progest-e can irritate throat and gut if swallowed undiluted
- I think I read somewhere that it can increase sodium excretion, so make sure you can add extra salt to food if tastes let you know this is happening
- if you are trying to use it to boost or avoid manage fertility, it's more complicated

OP
thegiantess

thegiantess

You've probably seen me express caution about quite a few things on these forums, and it's taken me a while to get to trying some things.
But somehow progesterone doesn't look as dangerous to me as some of the others. The cautions I can think of would be:
- if there is a definite goiter, in which case supplementing progesterone could release a lot of thyroid hormone at once, potential thyroid hyperthyroid patch - Peat suggests dealing with goiter first.
- large doses can over-anaesthetise - avoid by taking small doses (maybe multiple, at least 10 min apart) till you find out how it affects you. taking 3 drops x5/day is unlikely to come anywhere near such effects, but sometimes people use higher doses for particular purposes. It might make you more relaxed, so first time you try it maybe pick a day when you don't have to work extra hard.
- need to have enough blood sugar available
- progest-e can irritate throat and gut if swallowed undiluted
- I think I read somewhere that it can increase sodium excretion, so make sure you can add extra salt to food if tastes let you know this is happening
- if you are trying to use it to boost or avoid manage fertility, it's more complicated
Excellent info. You're consistently helpful. Thanks so much.

Peata

Interesting. You would think a blood thinner would have the opposite effect.
Besides suppressing prostaglandins and pain, aspirin seems to work against estrogen.

The blood thinning effect stops a lot of the clotting, so things flow better, ime.

tara

The cautions I can think of would be:
Just thought of another one. :)
I figurre anything you try is subject to watching for the effects, and judging whether they are positive for you personally.
If you take progesterone transdermally, some of it may sit in the local fat for uncontrolled release some time later. This means if you want to stop, it could keep going for some unpredictable time after. Also harder to assess dosage. That's one reason why I like Peat's suggestion to apply to gums for quick absorption.

OP
thegiantess

thegiantess

Besides suppressing prostaglandins and pain, aspirin seems to work against estrogen.

The blood thinning effect stops a lot of the clotting, so things flow better, ime.
Oh that makes sense actually. I wasn't even thinking of the estrogen opposition.

OP
thegiantess

thegiantess

Just thought of another one. :)
I figurre anything you try is subject to watching for the effects, and judging whether they are positive for you personally.
If you take progesterone transdermally, some of it may sit in the local fat for uncontrolled release some time later. This means if you want to stop, it could keep going for some unpredictable time after. Also harder to assess dosage. That's one reason why I like Peat's suggestion to apply to gums for quick absorption.
Good to know. Do you use progesterone? I was thinking of haiduts product, but you mentioned progest-e.

tara

Good to know. Do you use progesterone? I was thinking of haiduts product, but you mentioned progest-e.
I've used progest-e nearly everyday for more than 2 years. It hasn't solved my key issue, but I think it's helpful. AFAIK, the Health natura formulation simply progesterone is roughly similar, and there are good reports. I've not tried Haidut's progestene. If DMSO is OK for you then that may well be a reasonable option too you could read on that thread to see reports.

OP
thegiantess

thegiantess

I've used progest-e nearly everyday for more than 2 years. It hasn't solved my key issue, but I think it's helpful. AFAIK, the Health natura formulation simply progesterone is roughly similar, and there are good reports. I've not tried Haidut's progestene. If DMSO is OK for you then that may well be a reasonable option too you could read on that thread to see reports.
Interesting. First step is getting a hormone blood panel and then on to deciding on which supp. Thanks again!

tara

First step is getting a hormone blood panel and then on to deciding on which supp.
Have you read the article on Peat's site about Tissue-bound estrogen? I think it suggests that blood tests may not reliably show body levels of estrogen. The ratio between estrogen and progesterone apparently counts for more than the absolute values.

OP
thegiantess

thegiantess

Have you read the article on Peat's site about Tissue-bound estrogen? I think it suggests that blood tests may not reliably show body levels of estrogen. The ratio between estrogen and progesterone apparently counts for more than the absolute values.
I have not. I'll look into it. Thanks.

scarlettsmum

I have not. I'll look into it. Thanks.
Giantess I wonder if I have same/similar problem. My cycles last on average 33 days and ever since the birth of my second child once finished with breastfeeding my cycles now last only really 2 days, then I have about 4 days of nothing and then I have another 5-7 days of light to once a day heavier flow incidents. It drives me nuts because I'm often unprepared not expecting/forgetting that it may not be quite finished. Coupled with my breasts lump, thickening in my right breast, I too wonder what's going on. On top of that I have a swelling in my throat and my right side is enlarged, but I don't know what it is and never bothered to get ultrasound as here if they find something they insist on biopsy immediately. So I have scheduled an appointment for ultrasound and upon checking the doctors not so favourable references I cancelled both appointments. Apparently in this case progesterone is not recommended just in case it's a goiter so I'm trying the thyroid supplement route first. I guess this too could be caused by estrogen dominance.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals