Long course of rifaxamin

dogtrainer

Theoretically speaking would there be any harm in taking month or multiple month long courses of rifaxamin? I had nearly perfect digestion after the first two week (550mg 3x day) course. But subsequent courses stopped working.

anyone know anything about neomycin? Is it safe?

Jennifer

My doctor put me on the same two week course of Rifaximin as you (550mg 3x a day) and neomycin—my breath test came back positive for both hydrogen and methane producing bacteria—but the neomycin was burning my gut so I discontinued taking it after four days. After two weeks on the Rifaximin, the SIBO hadn’t cleared so my doctor prescribed me another 2 week course. She said she treats until symptoms are gone so it’s likely safe to take for a few months. Though, it didn’t clear the SIBO (I did that with dietary changes), the only negative I experienced was after I discontinued it—I broke out in a rash.

OP
D

dogtrainer

My doctor put me on the same two week course of Rifaximin as you (550mg 3x a day) and neomycin—my breath test came back positive for both hydrogen and methane producing bacteria—but the neomycin was burning my gut so I discontinued taking it after four days. After two weeks on the Rifaximin, the SIBO hadn’t cleared so my doctor prescribed me another 2 week course. She said she treats until symptoms are gone so it’s likely safe to take for a few months. Though, it didn’t clear the SIBO (I did that with dietary changes), the only negative I experienced was after I discontinued it—I broke out in a rash.
Can you describe your dietary changes? Rifaxamin didn’t ease SIBO symptoms at all for you?

are we trying to fight H. Pylori in the stomach?

Or M. Smithii in the small intestine?

For H. Pylori I find a tablespoon or two of honey on an empty stomach for 3 or 4 days really dials it back. I also experienced a complete elimination of symtpoms with amoxycillin, although it came back in a month or two. I use the honey trick if I need to. I can tell I have a problem when I take aspirin if it hurts my stomach -- that is a classic H Pylori symptom.

For M. Smithii cordyceps has been very useful. Also ozonated magnesium on an empty stomach helps tremendously. But you won't get rid of either one. These are probably far safer than these antibiotics, although I have nothing against antibiotics.

OP
D

dogtrainer

I was tested for Methanobacteraceae in a GI MAP Stool test and it came back within normal limits.

however

bacillus spp,
pseudemonas spp,
staph aureus,
strep spp

we’re all flagged as “high”

h.pylori and all its virulence factors we’re negative for me. Also had a h pylori breath test In doctors office - negative.

if there’s any other way I can test for M. Smithii let me know.

Jennifer

Can you describe your dietary changes? Rifaxamin didn’t ease SIBO symptoms at all for you?

I avoided as much fiber and starch as possible and stuck with easier to digest proteins (scallops, crab, seafood broth, marine gelatin, eggs), simple sugars (fresh pressed juice from ripe fruit, Thai coconut water, honey), and medium chain fats (coconut oil and coconut cream) so that I was reducing the amount of undigested food microbes could feed off of. With the Rifaximin, I noticed a mild relief in my symptoms (mainly the indigestion and bloating) for the first few days, but after that nothing.

I was tested for Methanobacteraceae in a GI MAP Stool test and it came back within normal limits.

however

bacillus spp,
pseudemonas spp,
staph aureus,
strep spp

we’re all flagged as “high”

h.pylori and all its virulence factors we’re negative for me. Also had a h pylori breath test In doctors office - negative.

if there’s any other way I can test for M. Smithii let me know.

Was the stool test done through Genova Diagnostics? If so, did you receive the list of antibiotics and natural anti-microbials recommended for your particular overgrowth(s) on the last page of your test results? I’ve done a couple of their comprehensive stool test and one was done while I had the SIBO and two of the recommended antibiotics and anti-microbials were Minocycline and oregano oil. If I remember correctly, my doctor had me on the Mino for close to a year, and prior to that I was taking a pharmaceutical strength oregano oil, and all my symptoms disappeared but only while taking them.

Sergey

are we trying to fight H. Pylori in the stomach?

Or M. Smithii in the small intestine?

For H. Pylori I find a tablespoon or two of honey on an empty stomach for 3 or 4 days really dials it back. I also experienced a complete elimination of symtpoms with amoxycillin, although it came back in a month or two. I use the honey trick if I need to. I can tell I have a problem when I take aspirin if it hurts my stomach -- that is a classic H Pylori symptom.

For M. Smithii cordyceps has been very useful. Also ozonated magnesium on an empty stomach helps tremendously. But you won't get rid of either one. These are probably far safer than these antibiotics, although I have nothing against antibiotics.
This is so interesting!
How did you judge the effect of cordyceps on m.smithii, tests or symptoms?

Sergey

Symptoms. Killing M Smithii relieves constipation.
Have you had any experience with valtrex or some other anti-herpes protocol? Reducing viral load seem to help with delayed gastric emptying and slow transit, at least in some cases. And cordyceps is a good antiviral. I mostly think about archaea when it comes to constipation, but connection to herpeses is also very interesting.

And for methanogens, any experience with L. Reuteri?

Last edited:
Have you had any experience with valtrex or some other anti-herpes protocol? Reducing viral load seem to help with delayed gastric emptying and slow transit, at least in some cases. And cordyceps is a good antiviral. I mostly think about archaea when it comes to constipation, but connection to herpeses is also very interesting.

And for methanogens, any experience with L. Reuteri?

never heard this. Thanks.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals