Loneliness / Isolation As Harmful As Obesity For Longevity

kineticz

You're both onto something.

I'm self employed and business is going great, but I lack identity due to having no employees or work colleagues.

I've tried looking for seminars to go to for business expertise and always watch business shows on youtube, trying to remind myself of my identity as a Managing Director and businessman and not just on the end of the phone as in customer services.

I'm definitely a cat person. I find they are less insecure than dogs.

Also, I find myself watching soap-operas sometimes after work while I make dinner, even though I hate to admit it as I feel soaps are a misguided portrayal of everyday life.

BingDing

kineticz said:
Are there any ways to stimulate the benefits of social interaction in other ways than socially interacting :)

I think that's what "retail therapy" is all about. Talking to sales clerks is a social interaction, but you don't have to hear about the abusive boyfriend or the dysfunctional marriage or the meth addict brother or the pedophile priest or....

BobbyDukes

sm1693 said:
BobbyDukes said:
If you want dominant status, you will also need to be equipped to handle it, too.

I believe you may be distracted by the word "dominant." This word is often used to describe the normal social order in non-human animals. Unfortunately, when applied to humans, it has a negative connotation. The study name could be rewritten as "serotonin lowers social status."

BobbyDukes said:
Just because you've lowered serotonin, raised dopamine/testosterone - doesn't automatically mean that life is better. A new reality brings new challenges and hurdles.

Haha, that's exactly what it means (in my experience). Why would anyone pursue this Ray Peat thing unless some form of happiness came from the result?

These could be assumptions by me, but my life experience says that people of lower social status are often less social in general. People of lower social status often self-isolate, somewhat similar to the way a sick animal will find an isolated spot to either recover from an illness or die. No matter how much any one of us social misfits wants to believe otherwise, biology seems to imply that high social status is a good thing most of the time.

That's not what I said. I was implying that any new reality brings new challenges and hurdles. Surely you don't think that your new realty as 'King Of The Jungle' is going to be a walk in the park? Hahahahaha. There will be people everywhere looking to take you down, bro'. If it means I get a girl and you don't, I'll play every dirty trick in the book to make sure that you're mug left with egg on his face and i get the girl. That's how it is, my friend. That's life. Plus, as 'King Of The Jungle', you're going to have enemies everywhere. You think that other males are just going to bow down to you? Humans are more devious than antelope.

i also didn't mention anything at all about happiness. You don't know what my opinions are on 'happiness' in reflection to this way of eating. Feel free to ask me, though.

I agree with your last point about low social ranking and health.

I hope that clarifies things for you :D

kineticz

BingDing said:
kineticz said:
Are there any ways to stimulate the benefits of social interaction in other ways than socially interacting :)

I think that's what "retail therapy" is all about. Talking to sales clerks is a social interaction, but you don't have to hear about the abusive boyfriend or the dysfunctional marriage or the meth addict brother or the pedophile priest or....

I'm addicted to online shopping/ebay, but you are right, physically going to retail outlets does strangely unload some pressure on my shoulders :idea:

Brian

kineticz said:

From my experience and casual research:

Meditation and vagus nerve stimulating activity are where it's at. Regular meditation somehow seems to help by rewiring cognition to be more focused on sensory perception in the present, which seems to lower fight and flight type reactions to your own thoughts or real life situations.

Singing favorite songs/playing musical instruments, Ujaji breathing(slight vocal chord vibration while breathing slowly), or some other pleasant vocal chord stimulation stimulate the vagus nerve in a way that sends a similar message to the brain and body as if you were in a pleasant social situation.

Daily time outdoors in nature is very helpful too for stimulating similar parts of the mind and body. I've been lucky to live next to a little wild patch of land that is only a quarter of a mile away from my home. I consider it one of the best things I do for my general health. I notice my pulse, temps, and digestion are much higher while going on a walk or relaxing there.

All these are helpful in my experience, but still no substitute for close relationships that you see face to face at least a few times a week. Although if you have an isolated lifestyle for whatever reason you will definitely need to incorporate similar activities like the ones above to maintain decent mental and physical health even with a pro-hormone/pro-metabolic diet and lifestyle.

kineticz

Brian said:
kineticz said:

From my experience and casual research:

Meditation and vagus nerve stimulating activity are where it's at. Regular meditation somehow seems to help by rewiring cognition to be more focused on sensory perception in the present, which seems to lower fight and flight type reactions to your own thoughts or real life situations.

Singing favorite songs/playing musical instruments, Ujaji breathing(slight vocal chord vibration while breathing slowly), or some other pleasant vocal chord stimulation stimulate the vagus nerve in a way that sends a similar message to the brain and body as if you were in a pleasant social situation.

Daily time outdoors in nature is very helpful too for stimulating similar parts of the mind and body. I've been lucky to live next to a little wild patch of land that is only a quarter of a mile away from my home. I consider it one of the best things I do for my general health. I notice my pulse, temps, and digestion are much higher while going on a walk or relaxing there.

All these are helpful in my experience, but still no substitute for close relationships that you see face to face at least a few times a week. Although if you have an isolated lifestyle for whatever reason you will definitely need to incorporate similar activities like the ones above to maintain decent mental and physical health even with a pro-hormone/pro-metabolic diet and lifestyle.

Thanks. I work on an industrial estate that is actually on old military base, and is in rural environment.

When I was at my worst a walk in the woods, field, and lake helped. Natural water seems very good for lowering stress.

BingDing

Those are great insights, Brian, thanks. Do you have any references for vagus nerve stimulation (as opposed to Vegas stimulation, LOL).

FWIW, for people in north america, song bird migration is just starting, hooking up with a local group to see birds is a surefire way to get out in the hinterlands. I've been hiking a local patch of forest and plan to go 3-4 times a week for the next three months. Nature runs at a different rhythm than human activity, when I slow down and see it I feel much better.

kineticz

My grandfather is a keen bird watcher and he's super calm, balanced, resilient.

It's reassuring to know I have his genes, but genes from other members of the family are causing my issues with metabolism and anxiety lol.

tara

kineticz said:

It's reassuring to know I have his genes, but genes from other members of the family are causing my issues with metabolism and anxiety lol.

Fortunately or unfortunately, epigenetic factors are more easily modified. :)

sm1693

BingDing

kineticz said:

Shoot, man, you couldn't have a better resource than your grandfather. Tell him you want to see a Louisiana Waterthrush and ask him to help you find one. It's a hoot and a half, and like tara says, breaking epigenetic patterns is always possible (I find it akin to seeing the face of God, myself).

sladerunner69

The healthiest thing isn't a high-functioning metabolism, in fact that's very secondary to the single healthiest thing which is reproduction. If ones reproductive glands are in constant use than one needn't worry of the foods or therapies involved, in fact there is a study in which half participants consumed nothing but packaged cupcake bites and rubber 0-gasket-rings and the other aprticipants use a diet of Cocnut oil, orang juice, organic milk, liver, oysters, coffeee, and aspirin, and the result was that I made that up stupid.

U.S. prison systems would disagree Georgi because we all know that solitary confinement is amazing for you. How amazing you ask?! Well it atrophies your hippocampus. Not to mention depression, anxiety, mental disorders etc hell you might talk to your self to cope. But worry not because health is isolated, health is all genetics, health has nothing to do with environment and therefore there is no hope.