Local cheese, label and adulteration

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

milk_lover said:
post 111729
Amazoniac said:
post 111711 The brick one from the upside down image just doesn't feel right, even though I didn't have any apparent reaction to it on the short term, I had a bit of digestive upset that I think won't be beneficial in the long term, especially consuming it frequently.
Edit: forgot to mention that it's a cheesed salt, not a salted cheese as you can confirm from the label.
And I'm still trying to find another possible explanation for that strange fat profile..
Why don't you ask the owner of the local company? You can call him and change your voice (better with high-pitched voice for further misleading) so this way he won't know it's you and your relationship with him remains intact. We need to get to the bottom of this.
Also, what is the difference between cheesed salt and salted cheese?
What's puzzling about Jenn's interesting comment is that the other cheese, from a farmer next to him, has a completely different fat profile.
He wouldn't mind any question, his farm welcomes visitors at any time, he doesn't have anything to hide.
One of them you can taste a little bit of cheese in between the salt..

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

Jenn said:
post 111789 I am not sure I understand your question?

Carotenes are Pufa's. Ruminant's can convert pufa's to saturated fats and detoxify plants because of their unique digestive system.
Ok. Only now that I understood what you mean: their bodies try to detoxify but the process, especially in cows as you guess, is not efficient enough..
Carotenes are PUFA?? I knew they were unsaturated but I didn't know they were fatty acids. Jenn, please visit the forum more often. Haha..

Jenn

It' efficient enough for them. ;) You have to keep in mind that some cows have been specifically selected to produce colored milk. It's a marketing thing that has gone on for a very long time. It depends on the cow as an individual, but some breeds are known for it and some are know to lack it. A lot of jerseys and most guernseys will make golden milk and holsteins, dexters, etc. tend to have whiter milk. It depends on the health of the cow, their vitamin E levels, how much stored feed and so on. There are other PUFAs besides beta carotene too, some people deliberately feed flax to increase unsaturated fats in the milk...and that won't show up as an increase in color.

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

Jenn said:
post 111792 It' efficient enough for them. ;) You have to keep in mind that some cows have been specifically selected to produce colored milk. It's a marketing thing that has gone on for a very long time. It depends on the cow as an individual, but some breeds are known for it and some are know to lack it. A lot of jerseys and most guernseys will make golden milk and holsteins, dexters, etc. tend to have whiter milk. It depends on the health of the cow, their vitamin E levels, how much stored feed and so on. There are other PUFAs besides beta carotene too, some people deliberately feed flax to increase unsaturated fats in the milk...and that won't show up as an increase in color.
Two more questions if you don't mind.
Do you have any idea how the fat profiles are so different between two farmers that have similar environments, cows and climates?
And could you explain why cheese is harder to pass, even though it's pre-digested.
Again, many thanks. You have no idea for how long I've been wondering about this, months before this thread..

Jenn

How do you know the fat profiles are so different? If they are, feed/minerals is going to be a big factor and some animals are just healthier than others.
Digestion starts in the mouth and finishes in the stomach, ideally. (sometimes undigested food make it into the intestines.) Assimilation happens in the intestines. Ideally, only digested food enters into the bloodstream through the intestinal wall. We know that undigested starches and other food sometimes do get through as presorption or leaky gut syndrome. some of it gets passed through until it is eliminated. Ideally, food gets eaten and digested with in an hour, 2 at the most. Assimilation and elimination is supposed to take about 24 hours. Sometimes it's too fast and people are eating but not absorbing nutrients. Sometimes it's too slow and people end op reabsorbing the toxins the body was trying to eliminate. The people with this issue can have over stretched and inflamed/narrowed sections of intestines. They may not react to a particular food for 2-3 days because that's how long that particular food took to travel. Fats are absorbed last.

The short answer is that digestion is a different process than assimilation and elimination. ;) If you have any digestion issues, you can just about guarantee there were issues with elimination, then assimilation first.

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

Brief update:
Today I found two other labeled cheeses that came from neighborhood farms of the one in question. Again, to my surprise, and I couldn't believe it's not margarine.
12g of fat and 3g of those are saturated.
About this same fat profile from the two other farms that I checked. And I thought that I've read the worst. Haha!
There's something strange from that place that cannot be explained only by Jenn's (great) guess. The cows must dip their grasses in safflower oil..

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

Should I be concerned with raw milk contamination or the antimicrobial factors in milk seem enough to prevent undesirable bacteria growing in it? I wonder if any of those compounds is lost during the cheese production.
I don't know if it's common in other places around the world but here they collect the whey and recycle for other batches. It's a laborous (and risky) procedure that all traditional producers insist that improve the quality of the final product. They also insist that raw milk is superior and that only aged cheeses are safer under those circumstances. But this might be due to the fact that traditional methods of making cheese didn't have access to refrigeration and proper sanitation back then. I'm a bit worried.
I'm also worried for the fact that the fermentation, even for fresh cheeses, is done in an open environment, and not in a controlled chamber. There must be flies and other insects because it's an artisan process. However they scrape the crust that forms before sealing and selling the product.
I have no idea how this exposure affects the fats in it. (For aged cheeses they use that classic casein resin to protect them)
Apparently fermentation reduces IGF-1. Is it reduced in significant amounts in fresh cheeses?

And then comes this:
http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?pid=S01 ... ci_arttext
The soft cheese Minas frescal is one of the most popular cheese in Brazil, which is typically manufactured in small dairy farms under unsatisfactory hygiene conditions*. To assess the risk involved in consumption of this cheese, virulence markers were investigated in 330 Escherichia coli strains isolated from 30 Minas frescal cheeses inspected by official government agency (SIF - serviço de inspeção federal), from 50 cheeses not inspected by SIF and 31 cheeses not inspected by SIF with spice added, all of them collected in the southwest of Minas Gerais State. The E. coli isolates were screened for the presence of Shiga toxin-encoding (stx 1 and stx 2), intimin (eae) genes and for the presence of (pap, sfa, afa) genes related to adhesion in epithelial cells. The only gene detected by PCR was the sfa gene at one isolate. The strains were also screened for resistance to 9 antimicrobial drugs. Predominant resistance was to cephalothin, tetracycline and streptomycin. [highlight=yellow]Multidrug resistance was found[/highlight] among isolates from cheese with SIF (16.6%), cheese [highlight=yellow]without[/highlight] SIF (8.0%) and cheese without SIF with spice added (30.0%) what is a reason for concern due to the high consumption of raw milk cheese by the Brazilian population.
Excuse me Such_, but I have to borrow your smiley this time: :ss
Inspections are so loose around here that they could probably fit pboy's intelligence in between.

Edit: *this only applies for unreliable farmers (most of them don't even bother to make cheese anymore, they prefer to sell the milk to the industry because apparently is more profitable and much less time-consuming). On the other hand, you can find some local reliable farmers that treat their cows as good as they treat their children. Making the best cheese for them means preserving their roots, and they invest everything they have to deliver the best product and that including investing in proper equipment and sanitation.

So, to sum up: raw cheese, antimicrobial factors, contamination, peroxidation of lipids in natural fermentation, and reduction in IGF-1.
Any comments?

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

Jenn said:
post 111763Hard cheeses tend to be lower in fat than some soft cheeses too.
Just to comment how right you are on this. I went recently searching for all types of fresh cheeses and comparing their profile.
I found one that has 10g of fats for every 30g of total weight, and 9g of those are saturated: unbelieveable but true. And to my surprise it was really soft. Indeed moisture and protein:fat is what makes it harder or softer, and because matiration interferes with that, aged cheeses tend to be harder. I'll upload a photo if I can, when I'm in a mood of being judged as a weirdo taking pictures of cheeses at the market..

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

Follow-up:

Attachments

• IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 50

Birdie

So interesting.
I've seen the real rennet cheese disappear from shelves in our country store as well as our Costco.
The sheep's cheese is still available. Problem is my husband hates it and it only comes in size Huge.
If I make it to one of the local dairies, I'll inquire. But usually they just have milk. The cheese available, if any, is brought in...

Back
Top Bottom