Liver with eggs?

J

j.

One funny thing is that that site claims that citric acid enhances iron absorption, but the reference they cite claims citric acid reduces iron absorption.

Improvement of iron nutrition in developing countries: comparison of adding meat, soy protein, ascorbic acid, citric acid, and ferrous sulphate on iron absorption from a simple Latin American-type of meal.
L Hallberg and L Rossander
Abstract

A study in 49 subjects compared different methods for increasing the absorption of iron from a simple Latin American-type meal composed of maize, rice, and black beans. The addition of meat (75 g) increased the nonheme iron absorption from 0.17 to 0.45 mg; soy protein in an amount corresponding to the protein content of the meat increased the absorption to 0.51 mg (due to the high iron content of soy flour); cauliflower as a source of ascorbic acid (65 mg) increased the absorption to 0.58 mg, pure ascorbic acid (50 mg) to 0.41 mg, and ferrous sulphate mixed into the meal in an amount (6 mg) corresponding to the iron content of the soy flour increased the absorption to 0.64 mg. The addition of citric acid (1 g) reduced the absorption to 0.06 mg (to about one-third). We conclude that several methods are available for increasing iron absorption from a Latin American meal and that the choice of method depends on several factors, particularly cost.

Link

So apparently Sprite, which contains citric acid, could reduce absorption by 66%, a greater reduction than that of coffee?

HDD

Interesting. The link in your first post says citric acid enhances iron absorption.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Zpol How To Follow RP With No Eggs, Dairy, Liver, Gelatin? Dairy, Eggs 26
M Beef liver crisps and biltong vs fresh cooked liver, raw liver, and dessicated raw liver? Diet 8
TypicalJock Antibiotics/medicine to heal gut and liver? Ask For Help or Advice 10
J Feeling incredibly Dried-Out after breakfast (includes liver): Vitamin A Toxicity? Diet 22
M Taurine vs tudca for digestion and liver health Ask For Help or Advice 7
AbundantLifeCor Liver Flush: My Experience & Addressing Skeptics Health 38
Mauritio Bromantane reduces liver fibrosis by 60%, kidney fibrosis by 50% Scientific Studies 15
M Blocking iron from eating liver Ask For Help or Advice 10
T Canned cod liver - how does Omega 3 temporarily make you feel better? Diet 1
M Copper sources if not tolerating oysters, liver, cocoa and juices? Ask For Help or Advice 34
Mauritio B. Coagulans decreases endotoxin , liver fibrosis and serotonin Digestion 57
recodetosource Differences in COD LIVER OIL? Were the vikings stupid? Diet 3
M How do you eat your liver? Ask For Help or Advice 7
M B-Complex or Bee Pollen supplement? Vitamin A supplement or Cod liver oil? Ask For Help or Advice 3
S Liver why not have 1-2 oz or 4 oz a day? Ask For Help or Advice 5
J Advice On Labs. Fatty liver ? Blood Work, Labs 11
M My symptoms got so much worse since adding Liver, Oysters and Cacao! What could I do? Ask For Help or Advice 32
Quelsatron A very confusing month? (vitamin D, magnesium, liver) Ask For Help or Advice 33
S Color Blindness Cured With Beef Liver? Organ Meat 13
Lokzo 💎TUDCA: The Holy Grail For Liver Health? Supplements 12
L Anti-Peat I Think Young Adults Should Avoid Calf/Beef Liver And Maybe Even Shellfish Debate - Anti-Peat 19
deliciousfruit Does liver from grain-fed animals contain vitamin A? Meat, Organ Meat, Gelatin, Seafood 2
Mito The efficacy of vitamin E in reducing non-alcoholic fatty liver disease E 0
Attakai Cured my fatty liver and shrank it to normal size in under a year Blood Work, Labs 38
haidut Aspirin can cure liver cancer in just 24 hours (in rabbits) Scientific Studies 2
haidut Glycine (and leucine) can treat fatty liver (NAFLD and NASH) Scientific Studies 3
haidut Vitamin D is anti-catabolic / anabolic, protects liver from cortisol injury Scientific Studies 2
youngsinatra Unidentified Anti-Fatigue Factor in Beef Liver! Organ Meat 7
Soren Eating Liver Causing Allergic Reaction? Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 0
Lokzo Taurine: Health Benefits Explained (Oxytocin, Liver Health, Cardiovascular System & Exercise) Amino Acids 5
koreus Just Got My Liver Enzymes Checked And They Are Elevated Blood Work, Labs 19
Cloudhands Fatty Liver Ask For Help or Advice 1
L Liver Detox Tips Please Ask For Help or Advice 26
K Found A Gem For Starters - Prevention Of Arachidonic Acid‑induced Liver Injury With Garlic Extracts Meet & Greet 5
haidut Alcohol Causes Liver (and Other Organ) Damage By Lowering NAD/NADH Ratio Scientific Studies 0
J Eating Liver Makes Me Feel Cold More Often And Faster, Why? Metabolism 7
B Only Liver And Orange Juice? Diet, Recipes 5
D Detoxifying The Liver : Turmeric Vs. Milk Thistle Toxins, Detoxification 5
CHEESEHEAD69 Blood Work. High AST & ALT Levels? Liver Damage? Blood Work, Labs 15
J Why Does Fresh Liver Taste So Good But Frozen Liver So Meh? Organ Meat 3
wealthofwisdom Is It OK If I Never Eat Liver? Ask For Help or Advice 25
L The Association Of Sex Steroid Hormone Concentrations With Non-alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease And Liv Scientific Studies 0
A Visceral Fat Due To Impaired Metabolism/Fatty Liver Digestion 1
David PS Two Thirds Of Americans Have Liver Damage W/ Georgi Dinkov | Mitolife Radio Ep. #077 Health 0
N Anti-Peat Saturated Fat TERRIBLE For Liver Health & Diabetes. Compared To PUFA Debate - Anti-Peat 141
P Help Lowering Cat's Liver Enzymes! Animals 15
L Dehydrated VS Freeze Dried Liver Ask For Help or Advice 1
Twohandsondeck Anti-Peat Liver And Oysters Aren't Health Foods? Debate - Anti-Peat 38
W High Fructose = Fatty Liver Risk? Diet 40
Mauritio Vitamin E Succinate Very Effective Against Liver Carcinoma ,acetate Form Increases It E 26