Liver Disease

HDD

My favorite was veggie Reuben..avocado, sauerkraut, mayo, sprouts, and Swiss cheese on sprouted grain. :)

Mittir

jaketthomas said:
Anyone know of any Ray Peat specific instructions or recommendations for Liver Disease?

I have had elevated liver enzymes for 15 years. I've tried various protocols, herbs, diets, etc, and while some have helped, I still haven't been able to cure it.

I feel like I'm on the right track with this diet, but I still do have liver problems. Does anyone know of any helpful Peat suggestions for helping the liver heal? Milk Thistle? Vitamin E? B Vitamins? Zinc? Anything?

Ray Peat has an article in danger of iron.
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/iron-dangers.shtml
Do you know your iron numbers?(Ferittin and, Transferrin Saturation) Accumulated iron in liver can cause liver disorders.
Lack of choline( found in egg yolks and liver) can also cause fatty liver , especially when you are ingesting lots of sugar.
Here is a study showing phlebotomy improving fatty liver disease.

Study of patients referred for elevated ferritin levels and/or transferrin saturation: significance of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease].
[Article in Spanish]
Pérez-Aguilar F, Benlloch S, Berenguer M.
Source
Servicio de Medicina Digestiva, Hospital Universitario La Fe, Valencia, Spain. [email protected]

Abstract
OBJECTIVE:
To determine the etiology of increased ferritin concentrations and/or transferrin saturation in patients in whom classical causes were ruled out.

PATIENTS AND METHOD:
We studied 43 patients (35 males and 8 females) who were referred for ferritinemia greater than 300 ng/ml and or a transferrin saturation index (TSI) greater than 40%. In all patients, glycemia, cholesterol, triglycerides, uric acid, total and fractionated bilirubin, transaminase, gammaglutamyltranspeptidase, sideremia, TSI, ferritin, HFE gene mutations, ceruloplasmin and total 24-hour urine porphyrin were evaluated and abdominal ultrasonography was performed. In 14 patients liver biopsy was performed.

RESULTS:
Fifty-three percent was overweight and 19% was obese. Alterations in carbohydrate metabolism were detected in 33%, hypercholesterolemia was found in 14%, hypertriglyceridemia in 35%, and hyperlipemia type IIb in 16%. Thirty-two percent showed isolated elevated ferritin, 12% had elevated TSI and 56% showed elevation of both. Transaminase levels were normal in 61%. No mutation in the HFE gene was found in 10 patients, the H63D/wt mutation was found in 18, C262Y/wt in 1, C282Y/H63D in 5, C282Y/C282Y in 4, H63D/H63D in 3 and Ser65cys/wt in 1. Ultrasonography revealed steatosis in 19 patients (44%). Definitive diagnoses were HFE-linked hemochromatosis (4 patients), juvenile hemochromatosis (1 patient), hepaticocutaneous porphyria (1 patient), and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (22 patients; 51%). Most of the remaining patients could be included under insulin resistance syndrome. Phlebotomy was performed in 25 patients, with improvement in clinical and laboratory parameters.

CONCLUSIONS:
Non-alcoholic fatty acid disease is frequently detected in patients with iron metabolism disorders. These patients should undergo investigations for metabolic alterations and liver ultrasonography and, if necessary, biopsy. Phlebotomy can be useful in the treatment of these patients.

Comment in
•[Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, serum iron indexes and iron concentration in the liver]. [Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2005]
[Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, serum iron indexes and iron concentration in the liver].Fernández Salazar LI, Aller de la Fuente R, Velayos Jiménez B, González Hernández JM. Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2005 Jun-Jul; 28(6):364.
PMID:
[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE

Asimov

jaketthomas said:
I'm a big fan of Ray Peat's work, but recommending people consume aspirin is just flat out careless. Aspirin is a man-made DRUG! Why not take White Willow Bark? It's a natural source of salicin that doesn't run the risk of ulcers, because the salicin is converted to the acid form post-digestion.

It's amazing to me that Ray Peat, as educated as he is, would recommend a man-made drug in his wellness protocols. I would think he would have more common sense than that.
Studies have indicated that it's not strictly the aspirin that causes stomach ulcers, but aspirin + heliobacter pylori infection causes ulcers. Aspirin minus h. pylori won't do anything to your stomach.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
:goodpost

narouz

jaketthomas said:
I'm a big fan of Ray Peat's work, but recommending people consume aspirin is just flat out careless. Aspirin is a man-made DRUG! Why not take White Willow Bark? It's a natural source of salicin that doesn't run the risk of ulcers, because the salicin is converted to the acid form post-digestion.

It's amazing to me that Ray Peat, as educated as he is, would recommend a man-made drug in his wellness protocols. I would think he would have more common sense than that.

Posted this over on another thread
and remembered this discussion of aspirin.

from "Aspirin, Brain, and Cancer"
by Dr. Ray Peat
http://raypeat.com/articles/aging/aspir ... ncer.shtml

Repeated use of aspirin protects the stomach against very strong irritants.

...aspirin was found to inactivate the enzyme that forms prostaglandins, by the transfer of the acetyl radical to the enzyme.

...salicylic acid (lacking the acetyl radical) had been widely known in the previous century for its very useful antiinflammatory actions.

Aspirin is an antioxidant that protects against lipid peroxidation, but it also stimulates mitochondrial respiration.

[Aspirin] can inhibit abnormal cell division, but promote normal cell division.

[Aspirin] can facilitate learning, while preventing excitotoxic nerve injury.

[Aspirin] reduces clotting, but it can decrease excessive menstrual bleeding.

Aspirin activates both glycolysis and mitochondrial respiration, and this means that it shifts the mitochondria away from the oxidation of fats, toward the oxidation of glucose, resulting in the increased production of carbon dioxide.

[Aspirin] action on the glycolytic enzyme, GAPDH, is the opposite of estrogen's.

So many of aspirin's effects oppose those of estrogen, it would be tempting to suggest that its "basic action" is the suppression of estrogen. But I think it's more likely that both estrogen and aspirin are acting on some basic processes, in approximately opposite ways.

Preventing blindness, degenerative brain diseases, heart and lung diseases, and cancer with aspirin should get as much support as the crazy public health recommendations are now getting from government and foundations and the medical businesses.

The recognized anti-metastatic effect of aspirin, and its ability to inhibit the development of new blood vessels that would support the tumor's growth, make it an appropriate drug to use for pain control, even if it doesn't shrink the tumor.

In studies of many kinds of tumor, though, [aspirin] does cause regression, or at least slows tumor growth. And it protects against many of the systemic consequences of cancer, including wasting (cachexia), immunosuppression, and strokes.

Aspirin protects against several kinds of toxicity, including excitotoxicity (glutamate), dopamine toxicity, and oxidative free radical toxicity.

Since [aspirin's] effects on the mitochondria are similar to those of thyroid (T3), using both of them might improve brain energy production more than just thyroid.

Aspirin, like progesterone or vitamin E, can improve fertility, by suppressing a prostaglandin, and improving uterine circulation.

Amazoniac

The role of intestinal endotoxin in liver injury: a long and evolving history. - PubMed - NCBI
"Because the activation of Kupffer cells seems critical to the development of liver injury due to alcohol, agents aimed at preventing the activation have been studied." "[..]calcium is essential to activation"

"TNF is a major mediator of LPS injury"
"Although oral antibiotics had been shown in the 1960s and 1970s to protect against acute liver injury and the cirrhosis of choline deficiency, investigators more recently demonstrated that polymyxin and neomycin offered the same protection to the high-dose alcohol-fed rat model.31 IL-10, which is an anti-inflammatory cytokine that inhibits TNFdd99 production, prevented lethality from endotoxin in galactosamine-sensitized mice, offering another possible modifier of toxic liver injury.32 Another protector against galactosamine lethality is high-dose alanine, which confers protection even up to 12 hours after toxic challenge. It resulted in increased hepatic adenosine triphosphate content probably due to high-dose alanine’s promotion of ATP synthesis. It was felt that this impressive protection and low toxicity might be an effective therapy in humans.33"
"[..]feeding of medium-chain triglycerides inhibited both free radical production and TNFWestside production in the ethanol-treated animals.34 Another study investigated dietary saturated fatty acids in the ethanol rat model and found that this dietary intervention reversed the inflammatory and fibrotic changes despite continued alcohol administration.35"

"[..]even though TNF is established as a major agent in causing liver damage, it also has an important role in immune protection. Because patients with alcoholic liver disease are more susceptible to serious infection, the whole concept of therapy to lower TNF levels may not be feasible."

The author (James Nolan) has been following this issue for a long time.

--
Hepatoprotective effect of allicin on tissue defense system in galactosamine/endotoxin challenged rats. - PubMed - NCBI

Last edited:

He recommends T3 and T4, which are also man-made you fool.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals