LIVE: The Yellow Vests Movement

DaveFoster

The time is 5:10 PST and 1:10 PM in France on March 23, 2019. The French government has deployed water canons and riot police in response to Yellow Vests protesters in Paris.

Here's the link for live coverage:

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

Attachments

• 1553344233957.jpg
    1553344233957.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 52

LeeLemonoil

There will be the election to the EU-parliament end of may.
Given the rise of new parties outside the establishment across Europe and the fact that this election is traditionally used to take a „protest“ vote (meaning voting differently to what you would vote domestically, usually a more polar party/non-mainstream to raise concern)
the EU needs to drastically recalibrate its course or will see huge upheaval the coming years

sladerunner69

The time is 5:10 PST and 1:10 PM in France on March 23, 2019. The French government has deployed water canons and riot police in response to Yellow Vests protesters in Paris.

Here's the link for live coverage:

Does anyone know the general beliefs and positions of the yellow vests? It seems they simultaneously want the government to fight climate change, which they perceive as carbon-related, and lower the gas-tax. They are also fighting for an increase in the minimum wage, but are angry about lack of employment opportunity. Further, they seem to want to increase retirement benefits and a stronger social net, but want taxes to generally be reduced, and to be increased for businesses and the rich.

Elect someone like Macron who has an understanding of economics and finance, and wants to reduce the budget deficit and spur economic growth, and it will go largely unappreciated because your population was educated by intellectually lazy Marxists.

It's times like these I truly wish "Basic Economics" by Thomas Sowell was adopted as required reading across the academia of western nations.

Last edited:

sladerunner69

What can you say about his policies, specifically, to which you disagree? I believe his views and actions will vastly improve the economic situation of all people in the long run (aside from the carbon tax and loose immigration).

LeeLemonoil

What can you say about his policies, specifically, to which you disagree? I believe his views and actions will vastly improve the economic situation of all people in the long run (aside from the carbon tax and loose immigration).

I disagree. Germany has executed social- , economic and labourmarket- reforms in a vein similar to what Macron tries to achieve. It’s called „Agenda 2010“ and was set in motion in 2003.

Results: a highly „liberated“ volatile employment-situation.
The richest 10% of Germans got richer, 60% don’t possess a thing.
The economy relies on heavy trade surpluses/exports that are sustained by massively reduced wages - and Germany crossfinancea its exports by Target-saldi via the EU centralbank while domestic spending is low.
Theses reforms destroyed the very good German welfare state and empoverished vast portions of the population while the rich got exceedingly rich since these reform. Believe, Germany is a more miserable place since agenda 2010, and I say this as a profiteer is the changes

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

Does anyone know the general beliefs and positions of the yellow vests? It seems they simultaneously want the government to fight climate change, which they perceive as carbon-related, and lower the gas-tax. They are also fighting for an increase in the minimum wage, but are angry about lack of employment opportunity. Further, they seem to want to increase retirement benefits and a stronger social net, but want taxes to generally be reduced, and to be increased for businesses and the rich.

Elect someone like Macron who has an understanding of economics and finance, and wants to reduce the budget deficit and spur economic growth, and it will go largely unappreciated because your population was educated by intellectually lazy Marxists.

It's times like these I truly wish "Basic Economics" by Thomas Sowell was adopted as required reading across the academia of western nations.
It's a tax-protest movement, and it also has some nationalist elements but only insofar as it benefits the French workers.

DrJ

I find it really hard to find any coverage of this and it's pretty difficult to understand its impact. I read that Macron's approval rating is extremely low. I'm curious to see how it turns out. Thanks for the link.

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

I find it really hard to find any coverage of this and it's pretty difficult to understand its impact. I read that Macron's approval rating is extremely low. I'm curious to see how it turns out. Thanks for the link.
No problem. It's actually decreasing further with his threats of lethal force against protesters.

yerrag

I think what's happening in France is in many ways what's happening in the US heartland. Lost job and lower incomes from the competitive pressures of globalization, hollowing out the manufacturing base. With immigration, theirs is a worse case as Macron is as welcoming of immigrants as he is dismissive of the effects huge numbers of immigrants will have on the employment prospects of its middle class. The hard part for the Yellow Vest protesters is that they suffer the consequences of poor decisions made by the EU decisionmakers, who are far removed from these consequences and perhaps even profit from it. This is a people marginalized by their own government protesting at their leadership's tone-deaf policies.

Last edited:

michael94

I think what's happening in France is in many ways what's happening in the US heartland. Lost job and lower incomes from the competitive pressures of globalization, hollowing out the manufacturing base. With immigration, their is a worse case as Macron is as welcoming of immigrants as he is dismissive of the effects huge numbers of immigrants will have on the employment prospects of its middle class. The hard part for the Yellow Vest protesters is that they suffer the consequences of poor decisions made by the EU decisionmakers, who are far removed from these consequences and perhaps even profit from it. This is a people marginalized by their own government protesting at their leadership's tone-deaf policies.

Yerrag do you live in US or phillipines or both?

michael94

I tried this banaba “tea” one time from Philippines I think

One of the only teas I think are worth anything!

yerrag

Yerrag do you live in US or phillipines or both?
Both but more often in the Philippines.

I tried this banaba “tea” one time from Philippines I think

One of the only teas I think are worth anything!
What did you like about it? I used to give that tea to my mom. Supposed to help with her UTI, but just "help."

Goldenboi

It's a tax-protest movement, and it also has some nationalist elements but only insofar as it benefits the French workers.

French people are getting taxed highly in the name of climate change, while forcing those citizens to subsidize third world immigrants by enlarging the Welfare-State. They do not want globalization.

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

Both but more often in the Philippines.

What did you like about it? I used to give that tea to my mom. Supposed to help with her UTI, but just "help."
I lived in Cebu for a couple years. Jollibee may have the best fries in the world. It's unfortunate that they deep fry in vegetable oil. I never got around to trying banana ketchup.

French people are getting taxed highly in the name of climate change, while forcing those citizens to subsidize third world immigrants by enlarging the Welfare-State. They do not want globalization.
Thank you. I thought the movement had a strong anti-globalist component, but I've heard very little about it. It seems that the media intentionally ignores and downplays any nationalist focus of the protesters.

sunraiser

I think what's happening in France is in many ways what's happening in the US heartland. Lost job and lower incomes from the competitive pressures of globalization, hollowing out the manufacturing base. With immigration, theirs is a worse case as Macron is as welcoming of immigrants as he is dismissive of the effects huge numbers of immigrants will have on the employment prospects of its middle class. The hard part for the Yellow Vest protesters is that they suffer the consequences of poor decisions made by the EU decisionmakers, who are far removed from these consequences and perhaps even profit from it. This is a people marginalized by their own government protesting at their leadership's tone-deaf policies.

It has nothing to do with Europe - France have been in the EU for a long time without issue.

They've gone from a string of governments that are funded and supported by "the people" to a government under Macron that represents corporate special interests. The highest bidder dictates the policy.

This is a huge upheaval for the French.

We've had a similar situation in the UK under "austerity" pretty much exactly as @LeeLemonoil describes in Germany.

The "economy" has grown yet people are poorer than ever. The richest saw huge wealth gains propping up a GDP increase while 99% of people got poorer in real terms alongside drastic increases in poverty.

"Unemployment" is at a record low, another great soundbite. But, just like thatcher, unemployment has simply been reclassified. More people than ever working part time or on "0 hour" contracts in which they work 1 hour every 2 weeks when requested.

Unemployed people that aren't claiming benefit are simply listed as "inactive" and not included in the stats. Historically low unemployment at the same time as historically low consumer spending?! Right.

It has nothing to do with immigration. Immigrants are the SCAPEGOAT of blame for the rising inequality. It's a media tool to keep people angry at a vulnerable group. The media directly fund the government and are direct benefactors to their actions.

If you're afraid of immigrants or people of different faiths and ethnicities that won't change until you properly integrate and understand they're human just the same as you. Don't blame them for a calculated and self interest based governance approach in which corporate interests almost entirely dictate policy.

LeeLemonoil

I fully agree with you @sunraiser .... only this bit

It has nothing to do with immigration. Immigrants are the SCAPEGOAT of blame for the rising inequality. It's a media tool to keep people angry at a vulnerable group. The media directly fund the government and are direct benefactors to their actions.

It's definitely in part a divide and conquer / scapegoat -technique to deflect anger and hate from the ruling classes to another group. Identity politics is another strategy, but aimed on left-leaning people - again, to deflect their attention from the real cause of society-problems, especially the frappant misallocation of wealth.
Now comes the but. But:

Germany at least is a very special case. Since 2013 and especilly 2015 around 2,5 million immigrants from mostly african and aabian contries were actively allowed into the country by the governments and authorities. The media covered it as a great humanitarian, virtous achievement. Now, I don't think I harbour any racial prejudices against african/black people or muslims or people from "arabaina" countries. These are human with the same basic needs and motives as any other. But, and this is an undenaible fact, most of those who immigrated into Germany are only qualified to do the lowest tier of labour. Manual or monotonous jobs. Even though, only 10% from those who came are now in the workforce - it takes on average 10 years before people "integrate" enough to do a job that contributes to tax and social security-funds.
At the same time, these people get generous welfare-services and money from the get-go.
The purpose of the mass-immigration since 2013/15 into Germany is clear. The industry and other firms get cheap labour and a massive pool of applicants for it (like in darkest days of the industrial revolution) - you can hire and fire anytime. In Germany, these low-wages workers are even subsidized. Meaning, the tax-payer pays the employer a part of the wage of the worker while he creams added value / profit.
Win for the rich.

The other purpose is to overstretch the german welfare-system so to finally abolish it comletely. It's clear that there is a limit to what a solidarily organized welfare state, financed by tax-payers and contributions into social-funds by every working individual. In Germany there are 32 millon of those who pay into it, and and increasig number of those who take out of the social-security witout ever contributing to it.
An immigrant-family from iraq might come into the country with 3 children and bear another couple once they are here. All 5-7 of them will receive money, free housing and healt-insurance as well as child-assistance, courses and schooling for free forever. If they refuse to integrate by teaching their children the german society-norms, language and necessary habits, they will never pay into the funds. The examples are numerous.
Not becuase they are inferior people, a lazy race or some such bull****, but because that's their cultural "moulding" - and they find here enough "parallel societies" (german term i dont know how to translate, but the meaning should be clear) where they can live to their beliefs and habits withut the need to integrate ever.

This will eventually eradicate any soilidarity-structures of the state. And that's probably the plan. In this case, Immigration is integral part of this operation and thus, to blame and attack in this current form and way.
If they succeeed in destroying the scandinavian and German models of welfare states, arguably the best there are, then it will never come into existence anywhere else agian.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals