Live fast die old

Sefton10

Pure powder, which would be best suited for this purpose, is found on chemical sites. I previously experimented with oral gel, but I didn't drink it. The oral anesthetics have additives, whereas the powder can be mixed yourself.
Getting the pure powder in the UK is basically impossible unless you buy KG amounts. I asked Ray about taking Xylocaine spray orally. It contains 10mg of lidocaine per spray. The other ingredients are: ethanol, levomenthol, macrogol 400, essence of banana (contains propylene glycol), saccharin and purified water. He said he wouldn’t want to ingest those additives day after day.

K

Kayaker

Getting the pure powder in the UK is basically impossible unless you buy KG amounts. I asked Ray about taking Xylocaine spray orally. It contains 10mg of lidocaine per spray. The other ingredients are: ethanol, levomenthol, macrogol 400, essence of banana (contains propylene glycol), saccharin and purified water. He said he wouldn’t want to ingest those additives day after day.
I'm aware of that since I stumbled upon your thread. I think @Vileplume lives in the US. I found US suppliers, however, I wouldn't recommend one until I order from them myself.

K

Kayaker

Interesting, thanks for sharing. I’ve heard good things anecdotally from people I know, regarding celery juice, I just got turned off by negative evaluations from Peat. Since I have a juicer and sieve, it certainly would be worth a shot. Hopefully over the long run, we both bounce back fully from how we harmed our bodies.
What kind of juicer do you have?

Vileplume

@Kayaker

This one: Amazon product ASIN B09L7ZT3FDView: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Machines-Masticating-Extractor-Function-Vegetable/dp/B09L7ZT3FD/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=aicok&qid=1642356013&sr=8-1

I decided to get a slow-masticating juicer because, after speaking with @Jennifer, who knows a lot about juicers, I learned that high-speed, high-friction juicing methods--such as blender or centrifugal juicer--oxidize the juice much more, causing a loss of nutrients and shorter storage time before the juice loses its sweetness. In general, slow juicers (like a slow-masticating juicer or a slow-press juicer) retain more of the fruit's nutrients and make better-tasting, longer-lasting juice.

Last edited:
K

Kayaker

I decided to look for a masticating juicer instead of a centrifugal one based on that same information. What's your thought about juicers, including yours, having stainless steel parts that come into contact with the juice?

I'm currently thinking about that. I previously believed stainless steel to be safe, since it's less toxic than cast iron and nickel cookware, but the fact that significant amounts of nickel and chromium get leeched makes me reconsider getting a juicer, or maybe try to get one with a different type of stainless steel.

Eberhardt

I'm not being facetious here... is there any safe cookware?? I mean for real - the only one's I've heard no bad things of is pure glass-cookware, wherever one is supposed to get that :P Have anyone had any good suggestions. I'd say maybe castiron is better after all if its only leaking iron??

ok, let's face the simple fact. most members here are sick. it is not rice or potatoes. there is no an absolute diet. RP has many issues of his own, so he influences people. you need to find out what is good for you. RP is against fasting. this is crazy. Cortison and stuff? you get too much cortison, when you your body is broken. Fasting a day or two is good for everyone who is not sick. it is probably good for those who are sick as well, as long as they are not close to dying.
Most people don't think about their health, past dieting and fasting to lose weight, until they get older and wiser. There are many young members that are healthy on this forum, and wiser than most for caring about their health instead of their vanity. With that being said I am 58 and in the best health of my life because of discovering Ray Peat. The two times I water fasted I was so weak I couldn't continue. You better be in excellent health to do that, and if you are in excellent health why would you fo that, unless it is for religious reasons? This forum is mo different than overweight people going to low carb or calorie counter forums, which ONLY address fat issues. Thank you Ray Peat for addressing the WHOLE BODY :)

Jennifer

@Kayaker

This one: Amazon product ASIN B09L7ZT3FDView: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Machines-Masticating-Extractor-Function-Vegetable/dp/B09L7ZT3FD/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=aicok&qid=1642356013&sr=8-1

I decided to get a slow-masticating juicer because, after speaking with @Jennifer, who knows a lot about juicers, I learned that high-speed, high-friction juicing methods--such as blender or centrifugal juicer--oxidize the juice much more, causing a loss of nutrients and shorter storage time before the juice loses its sweetness. In general, slow juicers (like a slow-masticating juicer or a slow-press juicer) retain more of the fruit's nutrients and make better-tasting, longer-lasting juice.
Looks good, Tyler. If you don't mind, would you let me know if you like it after you've had a chance to use it for a bit? I've been wanting a self-feeding slow verticle juicer like the Nama J2 or Hurom H200, but the warranties aren't great IMO for $500+ juicers. The Nama has a 15 year warranty on the motor and 2 years on the parts and I think the Hurom is 10 years on the motor and 2 on parts. John Kohler of Discount Juicers says the motor is typically the last thing to go and the parts the first thing. I've been waiting to see if Omega comes out with a self-feeding juicer soon, since they have a 15 year warranty on both parts and motor. If not, I planned on getting a cheap, $100 one from Amazon, since having a good warranty doesn't matter to me at that point.

Vileplume

I decided to look for a masticating juicer instead of a centrifugal one based on that same information. What's your thought about juicers, including yours, having stainless steel parts that come into contact with the juice?

I'm currently thinking about that. I previously believed stainless steel to be safe, since it's less toxic than cast iron and nickel cookware, but the fact that significant amounts of nickel and chromium get leeched makes me reconsider getting a juicer, or maybe try to get one with a different type of stainless steel.
Unfortunately I don’t know enough to give you a qualified answer. Since I struggle to tolerate pretty much any whole fruit, due to lack of ripeness and the fiber content, I think the benefits of juicing still outweigh the potential risks of the stainless steel content, even with the juicer I got.

But it sounds like a cold-press juicer might be your best bet--minimal contact of fruit with metal, plus it's not a grinding contact, but a press. Seems like less metal would get leached in that way. Cold-press juicers are the most expensive type, but generally considered the best.

Did you come to any juicy conclusions?

Vileplume

Looks good, Tyler. If you don't mind, would you let me know if you like it after you've had a chance to use it for a bit? I've been wanting a self-feeding slow verticle juicer like the Nama J2 or Hurom H200, but the warranties aren't great IMO for $500+ juicers. The Nama has a 15 year warranty on the motor and 2 years on the parts and I think the Hurom is 10 years on the motor and 2 on parts. John Kohler of Discount Juicers says the motor is typically the last thing to go and the parts the first thing. I've been waiting to see if Omega comes out with a self-feeding juicer soon, since they have a 15 year warranty on both parts and motor. If not, I planned on getting a cheap, $100 one from Amazon, since having a good warranty doesn't matter to me at that point.
Hey Jennifer! I've been using that linked juicer daily for about a year now, juicing two quarts of orange juice per day. So far, none of the pieces have degraded in any way as far as I can tell--the motor seems to work just as well as ever, even the original metal grate (which came with a replacement) has shown no signs of wear.

To answer your question, I like this juicer a lot. It's simple, easy to assemble and clean, and seems super durable (like a Nintendo 64 compared to modern video game systems), so I easily transport it when I travel by car. It juices oranges and melons very well. However, with grapes, this juicer seems to dispose of too much juice with the pulp--sort of a waste that way, so with grapes I prefer the blender and mesh-bag strain method (which I first heard about from you). I tried blueberries with this juicer too, and it didn't grate them well at all--the berry skin jammed the grates. Overall, even though I don't have any juicers to compare with this one, I would recommend it for citrus and melons.

It makes sense that the parts are the first thing to go--they don't "break," I imagine, but just get dulled and worn out. They are probably way cheaper than the motor though, so if you get a 10+year warranty on the motor for the Nama or Hurom, maybe you could replace the worn-out parts individually past the two-year mark, and they wouldn't cost too much to replace.

K

Kayaker

Unfortunately I don’t know enough to give you a qualified answer. Since I struggle to tolerate pretty much any whole fruit, due to lack of ripeness and the fiber content, I think the benefits of juicing still outweigh the potential risks of the stainless steel content, even with the juicer I got.

But it sounds like a cold-press juicer might be your best bet--minimal contact of fruit with metal, plus it's not a grinding contact, but a press. Seems like less metal would get leached in that way. Cold-press juicers are the most expensive type, but generally considered the best.

Did you come to any juicy conclusions?
Can cold-press juicers be used for fruits other than oranges?

I've been chewing and sucking the juice out of fruit and spitting out the fiber, then putting it out for animals. I started doing this at exactly the same time I caught a virus from my brother, who is still coughing now, and I sensed a phantom smell for a few days, which typically happens when I catch viruses. So I experienced a dramatic fall in brain fog to the degree that I thought brain fog was due to an autoimmune disease, and the virus would keep my immune system busy. I also experienced the runs alongside the phantom smell and thought it was due to a virus. I'm still not sure if the runs is due to the virus or due to no longer eating fiber. I now assume the fall in brain fog is due to not eating fiber anymore.

There's a masticating juicer called Angel. The inner parts of the cheap model(s) is made of food-grade steel, and the expensive model(s) is made of surgical-grade steel. They have a similar composition, but apparently the surgical-grade steel leeches less metal. I'm not convinced steel in contact with acidic juice wouldn't leech a significant amount of nickel and chromium.

K

Kayaker

To answer your question, I like this juicer a lot. It's simple, easy to assemble and clean, and seems super durable (like a Nintendo 64 compared to modern video game systems), so I easily transport it when I travel by car.
Nostalgia! ?

Vileplume

Can cold-press juicers be used for fruits other than oranges?

I've been chewing and sucking the juice out of fruit and spitting out the fiber, then putting it out for animals. I started doing this at exactly the same time I caught a virus from my brother, who is still coughing now, and I sensed a phantom smell for a few days, which typically happens when I catch viruses. So I experienced a dramatic fall in brain fog to the degree that I thought brain fog was due to an autoimmune disease, and the virus would keep my immune system busy. I also experienced the runs alongside the phantom smell and thought it was due to a virus. I'm still not sure if the runs is due to the virus or due to no longer eating fiber. I now assume the fall in brain fog is due to not eating fiber anymore.

There's a masticating juicer called Angel. The inner parts of the cheap model(s) is made of food-grade steel, and the expensive model(s) is made of surgical-grade steel. They have a similar composition, but apparently the surgical-grade steel leeches less metal. I'm not convinced steel in contact with acidic juice wouldn't leech a significant amount of nickel and chromium.
I think masticating juicers generally get the most juice out of a fruit, but cold-press juicers can be used for pretty much any fruit. I saw this video, with an industrial cold-press juicer making cranberry juice, and it looks so good.
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/oddlysatisfying/comments/rz3th5/making_cold_pressed_cranberry_juice/

Those are interesting observations. I remember when you weren't feeling well a few days after Christmas, you mentioned that your brother hadn't shown any symptoms despite spending a lot of time with them after they got vaxx'd. Did your brother eventually start to feel sick, causing you to feel sick again, even since you recovered from the Christmastime symptoms? Also, I can relate to your reduction in brain fog from the reduced fiber--historically, my gut directly parallels my degree of brain fog, and a poorly tolerated fiber is 100% guaranteed to diminish my brain function in every way.

I would imagine that some metals get leeched out of the steel, but it's worth checking out more if there's a big difference between food-grade and surgical-grade. I would imagine there is, because with surgical-grade procedures, the risks of metal leeching become much more dire.
Nostalgia! ?
I know!! Mario Party and Super Smash Bros are forever in my personal video game Hall of Fame.

K

Kayaker

I think masticating juicers generally get the most juice out of a fruit, but cold-press juicers can be used for pretty much any fruit. I saw this video, with an industrial cold-press juicer making cranberry juice, and it looks so good.
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/oddlysatisfying/comments/rz3th5/making_cold_pressed_cranberry_juice/

It looks like they made vegetarian pepperoni (cranberroni?). The press looks impressive. I wonder how they clean those large parts.
Those are interesting observations. I remember when you weren't feeling well a few days after Christmas, you mentioned that your brother hadn't shown any symptoms despite spending a lot of time with them after they got vaxx'd. Did your brother eventually start to feel sick, causing you to feel sick again, even since you recovered from the Christmastime symptoms? Also, I can relate to your reduction in brain fog from the reduced fiber--historically, my gut directly parallels my degree of brain fog, and a poorly tolerated fiber is 100% guaranteed to diminish my brain function in every way.
I'm sure he caught a virus and that it's not from shedding. I didn't experience phantom smell from shedding, yet experienced it in the past with other flu-season viruses. I felt better after I caught the virus since I coincidentally stopped eating fiber at the same time. I no longer experience the phantom smell, so I assume I developed immunity to the virus.

My mother still has a cough. It's the unnoticeable sort, not frequent nor loud or intense. She just sometimes coughs once slightly. I notice it multiple times per day and always ask her "You're sick?" so that it doesn't get ignored. My brother has a loud cough from his continued viral infection. I think in my mother's case, it's a "cardiovascular cough" from some combination of taking the vaxx, experiencing episodes of high blood pressure, and having diabetes. She won't take aspirin or do anything I tell her to though.

What kind of fibers are you tolerant or intolerant of? Does your gut respond well to meat? Have you tried the caine reset?
I would imagine that some metals get leeched out of the steel, but it's worth checking out more if there's a big difference between food-grade and surgical-grade. I would imagine there is, because with surgical-grade procedures, the risks of metal leeching become much more dire.
I noticed an even more expensive masticating juicer, one marketed for cancer or something, had parts of food-grade steel inside. I'm skeptical of the gimmick advertising and the steel which should be top-of-the-line for the pricetag.
I know!! Mario Party and Super Smash Bros are forever in my personal video game Hall of Fame.
I played Mario Party 3 as a kid, and tried the other N64 Mario Parties on social occasions. I think the fourth was kind of empty, not as magical, or was that the second one? I also have nostalgia for SSB. I feel that N64 was the peak of creativity+technological aspects leaning on creativity, and GCN was the peak of creativity+technological aspects leaning on technological aspects. After that, not really impressed. Games seemed increasingly artificial or something. But some hacks and indie games were still inspired. You know a piece of media is good if you feel the artist shining through, and feel the purpose and meaning, often with carefully-placed symbolism. If the purpose is just making money and not someone's creative passion, then it gets old fast.

The N64 Zelda games were amazing, like a Renaissance of some sort. Did you say Wind Waker is one of your favorite games, or was that someone else?

Jennifer

Hey Jennifer! I've been using that linked juicer daily for about a year now, juicing two quarts of orange juice per day. So far, none of the pieces have degraded in any way as far as I can tell--the motor seems to work just as well as ever, even the original metal grate (which came with a replacement) has shown no signs of wear.

To answer your question, I like this juicer a lot. It's simple, easy to assemble and clean, and seems super durable (like a Nintendo 64 compared to modern video game systems), so I easily transport it when I travel by car. It juices oranges and melons very well. However, with grapes, this juicer seems to dispose of too much juice with the pulp--sort of a waste that way, so with grapes I prefer the blender and mesh-bag strain method (which I first heard about from you). I tried blueberries with this juicer too, and it didn't grate them well at all--the berry skin jammed the grates. Overall, even though I don't have any juicers to compare with this one, I would recommend it for citrus and melons.

It makes sense that the parts are the first thing to go--they don't "break," I imagine, but just get dulled and worn out. They are probably way cheaper than the motor though, so if you get a 10+year warranty on the motor for the Nama or Hurom, maybe you could replace the worn-out parts individually past the two-year mark, and they wouldn't cost too much to replace.

Oh, great! You’ve had it longer than I thought. Thank you for your detailed response. You helped me decide. :): The only concern I had with horizontal juicers was they’re fruit juicing capabilities—I had read that they’re better suited for juicing greens but I’d rather leave that to the goats ;)—so it’s good to know that they can handle melons and citrus well, too. Bummer about the grapes, but I found a really sweet bottled white grape juice anyway and when my favorite grapes are in season, I prefer to eat them rather than juice them. I didn’t think the parts were a big deal but John Kohler says they can be pricey, however, you’re probably right about them wearing out and not actually breaking. Still, knowing your experience with your juicer, I think I’ll go with a cheaper one, too. The quality of fruit is so iffy that I can’t see spending $500+ on a juicer that I may not be able to use daily or even weekly. On a side note, it appears I’m officially vintage. My childhood was Nintendo and Super Nintendo. I think the 64 came out when I started High School.

Waynish

Eat more small meals, go to a TCM, and work on your liver & spleen... You need to increase your digestive power so the "IBS" can heal.

Vileplume

I'm sure he caught a virus and that it's not from shedding. I didn't experience phantom smell from shedding, yet experienced it in the past with other flu-season viruses. I felt better after I caught the virus since I coincidentally stopped eating fiber at the same time. I no longer experience the phantom smell, so I assume I developed immunity to the virus.
Ah, so you symptom-tracked it to figure out that it was the fiber causing the symptoms. Nice work--sometimes it takes months or years for me to figure out what's causing certain symptoms. Have you gone completely fiber-less? Personally, I've found that while most fibers affect my gut and brain negatively, I do need some (ideally a good amount) tolerable fibers in my diet, otherwise my tongue gets coated, signifying that things aren't moving through quick enough.
What kind of fibers are you tolerant or intolerant of? Does your gut respond well to meat? Have you tried the caine reset?
Well tolerated fibers (in order):
1. Carrots
2. Ripe melons, grapes, papayas
3. Ripe berries
4. White button mushrooms (if I eat them too many days in a row, I think I start to get anhedonia and a white tongue, but I'm still not sure what causes that).
That's it.

Poorly tolerated fibers:
-oat bran (I have to update my thread on this, but it gave a deep intestinal feeling of pressure and stuck-ness)
-bamboo shoots (not sure if it's because the can or what, but they sit like a rock in my gut)
-unripe fruit (unfortunately, this is 90% of fruits in the store)
-all starches

What about you? Which fibers do you tolerate best and worst?

I'm not sure how my gut responds to meat. My best digestive month (sleep and tongue and gut feeling) in recent memory occurred nearly two years ago, when I first transitioned out of carnivore and ate only frozen fruit and lamb. So I think I digest meat pretty well. But if my digestion isn't moving quickly, I think I can feel meat sit in my gut and rot. I also think my body odor gets worse when meat sits in my gut with slow digestion. So, I don't know. How well do you digest meat?
I played Mario Party 3 as a kid, and tried the other N64 Mario Parties on social occasions. I think the fourth was kind of empty, not as magical, or was that the second one? I also have nostalgia for SSB. I feel that N64 was the peak of creativity+technological aspects leaning on creativity, and GCN was the peak of creativity+technological aspects leaning on technological aspects. After that, not really impressed. Games seemed increasingly artificial or something. But some hacks and indie games were still inspired. You know a piece of media is good if you feel the artist shining through, and feel the purpose and meaning, often with carefully-placed symbolism. If the purpose is just making money and not someone's creative passion, then it gets old fast.

The N64 Zelda games were amazing, like a Renaissance of some sort. Did you say Wind Waker is one of your favorite games, or was that someone else?
Excellent analysis, with the creativity vs technological dichotomy. I agree that N64 games and Gamecube games maximized the two of those, more than anything that Sony or Microsoft has ever made. I've never really played Zelda, but from what I've gathered it's incredibly original and thoughtful--that's how I'd evaluate the Mari Games and SSB too, as well as Animal Crossing on gamecube. That might be my favorite game of all time.

Vileplume

Oh, great! You’ve had it longer than I thought. Thank you for your detailed response. You helped me decide. :): The only concern I had with horizontal juicers was they’re fruit juicing capabilities—I had read that they’re better suited for juicing greens but I’d rather leave that to the goats ;)—so it’s good to know that they can handle melons and citrus well, too. Bummer about the grapes, but I found a really sweet bottled white grape juice anyway and when my favorite grapes are in season, I prefer to eat them rather than juice them. I didn’t think the parts were a big deal but John Kohler says they can be pricey, however, you’re probably right about them wearing out and not actually breaking. Still, knowing your experience with your juicer, I think I’ll go with a cheaper one, too. The quality of fruit is so iffy that I can’t see spending $500+ on a juicer that I may not be able to use daily or even weekly. On a side note, it appears I’m officially vintage. My childhood was Nintendo and Super Nintendo. I think the 64 came out when I started High School.
Nice, well I'm excited to see how you enjoy your juicer. It's cool to hear that you found a sweet bottled grape juice. Finding a well-tolerated bottled juice is such a good feeling, because you don't have to feel trapped by the changing seasons and farmer/supermarket selection. I'm thankful I found a bottled goat milk brand (Summerhill) that I can buy year-round, but I still haven't found a bottled fruit or carb source--I tried Harmless Harvest, and unfortunately it makes my stomach feel uncomfortable, but the jury is still out on TJ's-brand coconut water.

Do you get your bottled grape juice at Whole Foods or Trader Joe's, by chance? I have those stores near me and would be interested to try it.

haha, well I had a Super Nintendo too! That was the original Mario Kart. I never played a regular Nintendo though.

Jennifer

Nice, well I'm excited to see how you enjoy your juicer. It's cool to hear that you found a sweet bottled grape juice. Finding a well-tolerated bottled juice is such a good feeling, because you don't have to feel trapped by the changing seasons and farmer/supermarket selection. I'm thankful I found a bottled goat milk brand (Summerhill) that I can buy year-round, but I still haven't found a bottled fruit or carb source--I tried Harmless Harvest, and unfortunately it makes my stomach feel uncomfortable, but the jury is still out on TJ's-brand coconut water.

Do you get your bottled grape juice at Whole Foods or Trader Joe's, by chance? I have those stores near me and would be interested to try it.

haha, well I had a Super Nintendo too! That was the original Mario Kart. I never played a regular Nintendo though.

Darn. I’m sorry to hear Harmless Harvest treated you poorly. I had some bloating with TJ’s coconut water due to the little fibers in it, but started straining it through a coffee filter and this worked a charm. I get the grape juice from vitacost. It’s the Santa Cruz brand:

Phew…so I’m not that vintage then. Haha!

aniciete

Does the summerhill milk still taste pretty good? I’ve been thinking of giving up my raw milk because the farmer I buy it from no longer has a2/a2 cows. I’m just a bit skeptical because I’ve never tried pasteurized milk before.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals