Lithium Experiences

Birdie

@Owen B...
Here's my strategy on most medications: take them at the lowest dose possible to achieve a good effect (vague, I know) for the shortest amount of time.

Yes. Your thought is very Peaty indeed. And said in such a non-authoritarian way. That's Peat too.

LUH 3417

Orotic acid can be mutagenic in mammalian somatic cells. It is also mutagenic for bacteria and yeast.[3]
http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9926339

I took lithium orotate for 4 consecutive days this week. I was taking 20mg elemental lithium a day bc I have a history of BP disorder. I probably should have just started with 5mg a day but in any case the dose is still much lower than what is prescribed for BP patients.

I thought I was going to go into a coma today. My heart rate would go from 60-160. I felt drunk and delirious. I'm guessing these were signs of lithium toxicity. I drank coconut water with salt and feel better now but this has been a concerning experience along with the info about orotate being mutagenic.

aarfai

Can I get on update on peoples experience with Lithium so far? I am thinking of trying it. Thanks!

johnsmith

@tankasnowgod I have often heard the recommendation of trying 5-10 mg of Lithium Orotate. Would this mean 5-10 mg of elemental Lithium? I feel this would confuse a lot of people, because most Orotate supplements don't even label the elemental amounts.

@REOSIRENS I'm guessing the product you recommend, labeled as 150 mcg, is not referring to its elemental Lithium content, am I right?

I feel I am probably a good candidate to try the 5-10 mg dose, as I am pretty messed up mood wise. But it sounds like the product REOSIRENS recommended is a safer bet for long term use. I have taken note of his precautions of this supplement on the previous page and in this thread... Ageless Peater

Last edited:

REOSIRENS

@tankasnowgod I have often heard the recommendation of trying 5-10 mg of Lithium Orotate. Would this mean 5-10 mg of elemental Lithium? I feel this would confuse a lot of people, because most Orotate supplements don't even label the elemental amounts.

@REOSIRENS I'm guessing the product you recommend, labeled as 150 mcg, is not referring to its elemental Lithium content, am I right?

I feel I am probably a good candidate to try the 5-10 mg dose, as I am pretty messed up mood wise. But it sounds like the product REOSIRENS recommended is a safer bet for long term use. I have taken note of his precautions of this supplement on the previous page and in this thread... Ageless Peater
Biotic a research lithium have only 150mcg "elemental " lithium but it is quite powerful... Now I am using German brand of lithium chloride and it is stronger than biotics research it has 200 mg lithium chloride and by itself I don't recommend... Lithium only works if you have b1 magnesium potassium in your system... Lithium strongly depletes tyrosine and vitamin a too

johnsmith

Biotic a research lithium have only 150mcg "elemental " lithium but it is quite powerful... Now I am using German brand of lithium chloride and it is stronger than biotics research it has 200 mg lithium chloride and by itself I don't recommend... Lithium only works if you have b1 magnesium potassium in your system... Lithium strongly depletes tyrosine and vitamin a too

Thanks!
So it's 150 mcg "elemental" lithium. In that case, it's stronger then I thought.

I've been on the Biotics Research brand for two weeks now. It's hard to pin point what its doing. I kind of wish I had started at a higher dose to really feel what it does, like @whodathunkit did. Then after two weeks she went down to a mcg dose.

Thanks for the heads up! I will start supplementing vitamin A more. Hopefully I have enough potassium in my system. I'm hesitant about supplementing tyrosine because I read on here that it can lower GABA and needs sunlight to the avoid the conversion into andrenaline/Noradrenaline. Hopefully I can get enough from food?

REOSIRENS

Thanks!
So it's 150 mcg "elemental" lithium. In that case, it's stronger then I thought.

I've been on the Biotics Research brand for two weeks now. It's hard to pin point what its doing. I kind of wish I had started at a higher dose to really feel what it does, like @whodathunkit did. Then after two weeks she went down to a mcg dose.

Thanks for the heads up! I will start supplementing vitamin A more. Hopefully I have enough potassium in my system. I'm hesitant about supplementing tyrosine because I read on here that it can lower GABA and needs sunlight to the avoid the conversion into andrenaline/Noradrenaline. Hopefully I can get enough from food?
Tyrosine doesn't deplete GABA... But phenylalanine does... Lithium depletes tyrosine and I have found that the combination of lithium with tyrosine is great for mental acuity( it's great for work and studies)... Maybe on eBay you can find lithium chloride I have lithium chloride tabs 260mg and they are very potent... Taking by itself don't recommend it will deplete magnesium and potassium quite fast... Lithium can be used to reduce gut serotonin and studies show that it works great to lift depression when individuals have good levels of igf-1 and the same applies to GABA and you can easily protect GABA with magnesium or glycine

johnsmith

Tyrosine doesn't deplete GABA... But phenylalanine does... Lithium depletes tyrosine and I have found that the combination of lithium with tyrosine is great for mental acuity( it's great for work and studies)... Maybe on eBay you can find lithium chloride I have lithium chloride tabs 260mg and they are very potent... Taking by itself don't recommend it will deplete magnesium and potassium quite fast... Lithium can be used to reduce gut serotonin and studies show that it works great to lift depression when individuals have good levels of igf-1 and the same applies to GABA and you can easily protect GABA with magnesium or glycine

Lithium chloride you say. Hmmm, I'll need to research further. I was interested in Lithium Orotate because I heard it crosses the blood brain barrier. Im trying to treat a difficult case of depression, among other things, from a bad concussion a year ago.

LeeLemonoil

There's this LiChloride product with 50mcg per drops and no fillers:
Good State - Liquid Ionic Lithium Ultra Concentrate - (10 drops equals 500 mcg, 100 servings per bottle)

Also, KAL now makes a LiOrotate liquid product, I have it but it's not very precise to measure:
KAL, Lithium Orotat-Drops, natürlicher Zitronen-Limetten-Geschmack, 2 fl oz (60 ml)

Lithium Chloride seems a reasonable choice, it's the ionic for that occurs in mineral waters naturally. 300mcg is according to some studies enough for beneficial mental and neuroprotective effects. There is always the option to buy LiCl powder and make solutions yourself.

@REOSIRENS
could you pls name the German brand you are using (or pm me the details?) Thanks a lot!

Last edited:

Emily Cahill

Can Lithium be supplemented sporadically? Just when noticing erratic moods or episodes of mania or depression? Or must it be built up in the system?

LeeLemonoil

Probably yes sporadically. A continueous low-dose (300-500 microgram) seems the most physilogical and effective though

Emily Cahill

Probably yes sporadically. A continueous low-dose (300-500 microgram) seems the most physilogical and effective though

Are the side effects manageable? I’m struggling to manage erratic moods currently but I’m loathed to set my metabolic rate back even further with medication. It’s sort of a matter of finding the lesser of two evils that will allow me to live an enjoyable life.

Frankdee20

I used Lithium Orotate short term. I am not manic, but do get intense negative moods, obsessive fatalistic thinking, and unipolar disposition overall. Sometimes it helped me detach from feelings. Eventually, I felt drugged and blah. Doses varied from 5,10,15,20 mg per use. Once a week, twice three. It just made me depressed after a while, I think it works better for mania.

johnsmith

I've been taking my daily dose of 150mcg Elemental Lithium Orotate for 6 months now with no perceived side effects. I often think about the nutrients that lithium might deplete, or need to work, mentioned above, so I take vitamin A, b1, and magnesium daily. I just hope my potassium levels are ok as well.

Frankdee20

I've been taking my daily dose of 150mcg Elemental Lithium Orotate for 6 months now with no perceived side effects. I often think about the nutrients that lithium might deplete, or need to work, mentioned above, so I take vitamin A, b1, and magnesium daily. I just hope my potassium levels are ok as well.

150 micrograms is benign, and likely equates to a maintenance dose. I do believe it’s essential at some measure.