Lithium Experiences

dukesbobby777

It is not true ...lithium carbonate is the best lithium to treat depression ...if you believe the lies of big pharma and supplement industry(they all try to sell a "new" supplement or drug)...People have troubles with lithium carbonate because they take massive doses... Lithium carbonate will brake down into lithium and carbonic acid both are very useful to lower parathyroid(very high in depression) ... try to take low dose of lithium carbonate and you will see how good it is...

Orotic acid acts like citric acid by raising prolactin

Don't know why people always fancy for "new" more expensive (less effective than old treatments) stuff this corrupt industry brings up every year just to rip you off

What’s a low dose of lithium carbonate?

Filosofy

I am surprised that so few are coming from the perspective of lithium being an essential trace mineral. There was a study clearly associating lithium in local water with lower incidences of dementia.

When I did a hair mineral analysis my lithium was low. I've had lots of issues with mood. While I can't say that taking lithium orotate noticably helped, it makes sense to me to keep taking it, especially in the context of being a biohacker who supplements/tries different protocols a lot, and where it is difficult to establish what is doing what.

It's showing great promise in those who try it, both clinically and among biohackers such as Ben Greenfield. Seems to help in generating alpha waves. Not sure how such an anti-stress measure could be bad for thyroid in the long haul.

Just think how poor a reputation simply the sound of Lithium has. Starting from the Kurt Cobain song and on to our mentally deflated, psychobabbly times. Maybe it's time to destigmatize.

parallax

I'm a big fan of 5-25mg daily elemental lithium. (Lithium is only consumed as a salt, so the total dose of lithium orotate, carbonate, aspartate, chloride, etc. varies according to percentages present in each.) I'm persuaded 20mg or even 30mg daily is safe for the vast majority of people, and I view lithium as a nutritionally essential mineral. I've been using 5-25mg daily since fall 2019 and it is not an exaggeration to call it life changing. Primary effects are improving my cercadian rythm entrainment (regulating my sleep cycle), improving my working memory (remembering what I am doing when I walk into another room, word recall, how often I need to look at my to-do list to stay on track, etc.), and reducing the unhelpful low moods, sortof taming the amplitude of my emotionality. I'm not bipolar, but I did suffer anhedonic depression with some cycling into almost-hypomania. But this mood taming effect is also what I experience with improved sleep, so I would not be surprised if this effect is at least partially secondary to lithium's circadian entrainment effect.
Since experiencing such benefits from lithium I have sought out all and any information about the elements pharmacology and effects, and I have learned that it
- supports the ezyme that converts some DHT into the beneficial -adiols
- improves bone and tooth strength
- attenuates glutamate (NMDA) exitotoxicity
- reduces cellular senescence
- influences cercadian entrainment in at least some people, possibly by influencing both tempurature and light sensitivity.
- apparently it protects the brain from general insults, and possibly extends lifespan... mitochondrial enhancement?
- reduces suicidality and violence in general -- I definitely think it reduces anger and clarifies thought.

Anyway, I love it. I think everybody should try a low dose.

Last edited:

AinmAnseo

Forum Supporter
I'm a big fan of 5-25mg daily elemental lithium. (Lithium is only consumed as a salt, so the total dose of lithium orotate, carbonate, aspartate, chloride, etc. varies according to percentages present in each.) I'm persuaded 20mg or even 30mg daily is safe for the vast majority of people, and I view lithium as a nutritionally essential mineral. I've been using 5-25mg daily since fall 2019 and it is not an exaggeration to call it life changing. Primary effects are improving my cercadian rythm entrainment (regulating my sleep cycle), improving my working memory (remembering what I am doing when I walk into another room, word recall, how often I need to look at my to-do list to stay on track, etc.), and reducing the unhelpful low moods, sortof taming the amplitude of my emotionality. I'm not bipolar, but I did suffer anhedonic depression with some cycling into almost-hypomania. But this mood taming effect is also what I experience with improved sleep, so I would not be surprised if this effect is at least partially secondary to lithium's circadian entrainment effect.
Since experiencing such benefits from lithium I have sought out all and any information about the elements pharmacology and effects, and I have learned that it
- supports the ezyme that converts some DHT into the beneficial -adiols
- improves bone and tooth strength
- attenuates glutamate (NMDA) exitotoxicity
- reduces cellular senescence
- influences cercadian entrainment in at least some people, possibly by influencing both tempurature and light sensitivity.
- apparently it protects the brain from general insults, and possibly extends lifespan... mitochondrial enhancement?
- reduces suicidality and violence in general -- I definitely think it reduces anger and clarifies thought.

Anyway, I love it. I think everybody should try a low dose.
Parallax,
In your research, did you find proof that lithium is or is not goitrogenic (lowers thyroid hormones)?

parallax

Parallax,
In your research, did you find proof that lithium is or is not goitrogenic (lowers thyroid hormones)?
I tentatively accept that lithium can have a moderate antithyroid action in between 60 and 70 % of patients treated with doses above 28mg elemental lithium per day, which is the minimum threashold dose commonly used in clinical practice, 150mg lithium carbonate. This is considered microdosing by some, and low dose by others. But the patterns of thyroid outcome in patients treated with lithium suggests to that the prevalence of hypothyroidism and thyroid disorders amoung psychiatric patients (chicken & egg) could be complicating the discernment of the causal interactions and consequences of lithium's effect on the thyroid. The data is clear that lithium does not contribute to thyroid cancer, nodules, or other pathophysiology outside of its mild (?) supression of the release of thyroid hormone, which causes a compensatory increase in TSH in some patients. This TSH increase NOT causing nodules or thyroid cancer suggests that lithium it at least different from other potential antithyroid compounds, and personally I feel that the reduction in all cause mortality (lithium appears to be associated with longevity in healthy patients), modulation in circadian rythm, and preliminary anti-cancer effects could suggest some interactions that I feel hestitant to describe for their speculativaceousness.. But certainly for me, 10-30mg elemental lithium is well worth it. Full disclose, I'm also taking 90/15 mcg t4/t3.

edit: BTW, thanks for bringing this topic to the fore. My praise of lithium should be balanced with an acknowledgement of potential consequences.

AinmAnseo

Forum Supporter
I tentatively accept that lithium can have a moderate antithyroid action in between 60 and 70 % of patients treated with doses above 28mg elemental lithium per day, which is the minimum threashold dose commonly used in clinical practice, 150mg lithium carbonate. This is considered microdosing by some, and low dose by others. But the patterns of thyroid outcome in patients treated with lithium suggests to that the prevalence of hypothyroidism and thyroid disorders amoung psychiatric patients (chicken & egg) could be complicating the discernment of the causal interactions and consequences of lithium's effect on the thyroid. The data is clear that lithium does not contribute to thyroid cancer, nodules, or other pathophysiology outside of its mild (?) supression of the release of thyroid hormone, which causes a compensatory increase in TSH in some patients. This TSH increase NOT causing nodules or thyroid cancer suggests that lithium it at least different from other potential antithyroid compounds, and personally I feel that the reduction in all cause mortality (lithium appears to be associated with longevity in healthy patients), modulation in circadian rythm, and preliminary anti-cancer effects could suggest some interactions that I feel hestitant to describe for their speculativaceousness.. But certainly for me, 10-30mg elemental lithium is well worth it. Full disclose, I'm also taking 90/15 mcg t4/t3.

edit: BTW, thanks for bringing this topic to the fore. My praise of lithium should be balanced with an acknowledgement of potential consequences.
Thanks.