Literally The Best Idea I've Ever Had

Discussion in 'Supplements' started by Kasra, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Kasra

Kasra Member

Sometimes I want the quick pain relief of aspirin without the stomachache that popping the pills can sometimes cause.

I've tried dissolving the aspirin in water, but it just feels weird to drink aspirin water.

The solution I came up with: Aspirin Tea.

It tastes just like tea with lemon and the aspirin dissolves quickly in the boiling water.

Life is too short to have your aspirin and tea separately.

Drink Smart. Drink Aspirin Tea.

2. Dewitt

Dewitt Member

Student of biochemistry
    What kind of tea do you use for this? Aspirin should only dissolve readily in alkaline solutions.

3. OP
    Kasra

Kasra Member

Earl Grey tea bags, yo.

And there is a little white powder left at the bottom, but I've tasted it and I think it's mostly starch.

4. Lilly

Lilly Member

Dewitt the party pooper:D

5. OP
    Kasra

Kasra Member

I'm glad to see the Peatarian master race quickly adapting to this site.

6. lindsay

lindsay Member

Photographer
    I was just thinking the same thing..... this forum had no idea what was coming when Peatarian mysteriously disappeared one day :holysheep
    :offtopic I really like all these emoticons - but they can never replace Bruno's stellar drawings.

7. Dewitt

Dewitt Member

Student of biochemistry
    Tea should be sligthly acidic. I don't think it's just starch.

:P

We have successfully invaded the site, mein Führer.

I'm going to hell for that joke.

8. lindsay

lindsay Member

Photographer
    there ain't no party like Kasra's tea party.....
    he-ey, ho-oh :yeahthat

how much aspirin actually works for killing pain, btw? I have powdered aspirin - usually take 1/8 of a tsp., but it doesn't really do anything. I find advil more effective, but I'm trying to not use it anymore.
    If anyone has an aspirin dose that works, I'd be happy to know.

9. OP
    Kasra

Kasra Member

lindsay:

I sometimes feel noticeably better after taking either a 325mg or a 750mg dose.

When you dissolve it in a drink, you can sip it and get a feel for how much you want/need.

There are times when the taste of aspirin water/aspirin tea is really appealing to me, and I use that as a guide for dosing.

10. Lilly

Lilly Member

I noticed that I can take large doses without it being affective sometimes, as opposed to other times when just 250 mg warms me up and relieves the tension. There is something blocking it sometimes, I guess it might be low thyroid? or nutrient deficiency, maybe vit k?

11. tomisonbottom

tomisonbottom Member

It will be different for every person but you don't really have to worry about taking too much as long as you take K with it. Just keep increasing it until you find an amount that helps you. I know Peat has said before some people take several grams per day if they have serious health issues. Peat has also said he takes 300-500mg before bed sometimes to help with sleep and that's not even taking it for a "condition".
    I use the 325mg tablets and take them as often as I can remember too; I probably take 3-6 a day on a regular basis. I take 1gram of Vitamin K for every 325mg of Aspirin.

12. Dewitt

Dewitt Member

Student of biochemistry
    You definitely have to worry about taking too much, even when using vitamin K with it. High concentrations of serum salicylic acid impair cellular respiration and glycolysis, while lower amounts promote cellular respiration, oxygen consumption and glycolysis. There is a sweet spot with aspirin, at which the positive effect on energy metabolism is maximized without triggering the negative effects. You can roughly calculate the level at which this happens, but it's hard to get an exact number, since absorption rate and blood volume differ. I posted a rough calculation (based on two studies) about it over on peatarian. But I didn't get my hands on a backup yet. If I remember correctly, it was 1x 1.000mg and 4x500mg, so a total of 3.000mg spread over the day for an average man to reach the serum levels at which cellular respiration is maximized.

13. lindsay

lindsay Member

Photographer
    thanks Kasra. I'm not a tea drinker, so maybe I will try coffee.

Lilly: I usually take it with vit. K when I remember.

Thanks for your input tomisonbottom.

Good info. Dewitt! But question - if I take one vit. K (2200 mcg) per day, how much aspirin can accompany this approx.? Granted, I probably don't absorb all that K without the gallbladder, but a rough guess?

14. tomisonbottom

tomisonbottom Member

I didn't mean to say that anyone could take an unlimited amount of aspirin but limiting it to 3 grams in any and all cases might not always be helpful either.
    For instance, wouldn't that change for someone who's goal is to lower inflammation and estrogen and pain; e.g. someone with cancer, arthritis or other inflammatory issues?
    I know Peat says people with those issues can take several grams a day. And he says "So many of aspirin's effects oppose those of estrogen, it would be tempting to suggest that its "basic action" is the suppression of estrogen." and that he believes cocaine would be less dangerous to a person than estrogen which is usually in a wrong ratio to progesterone in someone with inflammation.
    Granted, 3 grams is a lot of aspirin and most people would never need that much but for someone with serious issues they might want to use more at times.

15. Dewitt

Dewitt Member

Student of biochemistry
    If you want to argue with that, you would first have to prove that higher dosages have a stronger anti-estrogenic and anti-inflammatory effect. The impairment of cellular respiration that occurs with higher dosages would certainly act in the exact same direction as estrogen does, for example. Totally agree with him on cocaine, though. I'll take cocaine over estrogen any day.

16. tomisonbottom

tomisonbottom Member

So you're saying that "sweet spot' between good effect and bad is 3 grams?

17. Dewitt

Dewitt Member

Student of biochemistry
    Not exactly, no. The highest level of mitochondrial respiration (about 300%) is reached at a concentration of 0.5 mM. In an average man, this can be reached by taking 1.000mg once and then taking 500mg every 4 hours - a total of 3.000mg if you just do it during waking hours (16 hours). However, even at higher dosages, the respiration is still elevated. At 1.0 mM (1x 2.000mg, 4x 1.000mg), the respiration is still at 150%. Only at 1.5mM (1x 3.000mg, 4x 1.500mg) does mitochondrial respiration drop below 100%.

18. tomisonbottom

tomisonbottom Member

Ok, so if I'm reading that right, 9 grams is when it declines?

19. Dewitt

Dewitt Member

Student of biochemistry
    Yes, exactly. Or at least, that's an approximation. As I said, it's hard to calculate any exact numbers. And it also depends on how you take it. Keep in mind that the serum concentration is important, not the actual intake. It starts to decline at 1.5mM, which is reached with about 3.000mg for an average man. The other 1.500mg dosages are just used to keep this particular concentration up. And even then, it's very hard to tell how much exactly you have to re-dose and when to do it, since the half-life of aspirin differs in every person and it also differs according to how much at once you take. The more you take at once, the longer the half-life becomes. At 3g per dosage, the half-life should actually be more than 10h - so in this case, re-dosing every 4 hours is way too soon. Which means that 9g is actualy too much. I guess it would be more like 6g, spread over two dosages, to keep the 1.5mM concentration up. The biotransformation pathways that detoxify aspirin become very easily saturated, that's why higher dosages have a longer half-life. 4g dosages can have a half-life as long as 30h.

20. tomisonbottom

tomisonbottom Member

Ok, thanks.
    I don't think I've actually ever taken more than a couple grams/day so that makes me feel better about taking it as needed then.