List Things that Have been pro- Mental clarity, Drive, Short-term memory for you

ursidae

I read redsuns recommendations and things from his posts that have helped are eating a cow brain, B complex, histidine, zinc, choline (huge one), T3. As I understand dopamine, acetylcholine, histidine are important players in this. But my cognitive situation is still very suboptimal, compared to regular people who eat a standard diet and to myself several years ago. I think there's might be some brain damage from fluoride supplementation in childhood and having very high cortisol for several months. Examples: cannot memorize a phone number, or recall something that was said seconds ago, when asked a question like "what's your name" take 2 seconds more than everyone else to answer, have regressed into some kind of childish immature personality which relatives have remarked on

Also, whenever I take:
Glycine
Progesterone
Magnesium
Thiamine

I can't think clearly for the next few hours. I can take some of this at night, but I get digestive problems if all the mag is taken at once. Possibly my consumption of potatoes is contributing to cognitive issues too. I can't quit them as I lose too much weight

Last edited:

equipoise

Energin, definitely the biggest impact I've noticed.
Although nothing beats a good night of sleep. Basically my conclusion is that sterile gut (low serotonin) and subsequent quasi euphoric mood makes learning new things so easy and memory recall is very good.

I read redsuns recommendations and things from his posts that have helped are eating a cow brain, B complex, histidine, zinc, choline (huge one), T3. As I understand dopamine, acetylcholine, histidine are important players in this. But my cognitive situation is still very suboptimal, compared to regular people who eat a standard diet and to myself several years ago. I think there's might be some brain damage from fluoride supplementation in childhood and having very high cortisol for several months. Examples: cannot memorize a phone number, or recall something that was said seconds ago, when asked a question like "what's your name" take 2 seconds more than everyone else to answer, have regressed into some kind of childish immature personality which relatives have remarked on

Also, whenever I take:
Glycine
Progesterone
Magnesium
Thiamine

I can't think clearly for the next few hours. I can take some of this at night, but I get digestive problems if all the mag is taken at once. Possibly my consumption of potatoes is contributing to cognitive issues too. I can't quit them as I lose too much weight
Grape fasting got me most of my brain back within weeks. Was in combination with numerous herbs (ginger, turmeric, clove, black walnut hull to name a few) which kicked some larger parasite problems pretty easily.

A couple months after that, high-dose vitamin C (10-15g/day) as acerola cherry powder for less than 5 days further restored my short term memory and gave me a sense of physical calm that I had never experienced before.

equipoise

Also, whenever I take:
Glycine
Progesterone
Magnesium
Thiamine

GABAergics tend to make you forgetful. I've noticed this on benzos. But also progesterone in higher doses definitely impacts memory (negatively)

aniepodam

Most often caffeine with l-theanine. Everything else sometimes works, sometimes not for me. And the other things are:
- low/moderate intensity cardio (sometimes)
- fasting (2+ days, hard to do often)
- vinpocetine (worked only two times)
- bacopa monieri (several times)
- modafinil (sometimes)
- high sugar snack (works short-term, sometimes)
- l-dopa (sometimes)
- high dose potassium (works short-term, tested only two times, so dont know if consistent)

These had acute effects (noticable same day) for me and cant assess the long-term effects.

OP
U

ursidae

Energin, definitely the biggest impact I've noticed.
Although nothing beats a good night of sleep. Basically my conclusion is that sterile gut (low serotonin) and subsequent quasi euphoric mood makes learning new things so easy and memory recall is very good.
This is something to consider. My sleep is not excellent nor terrible. I don’t take 2 hours to fall asleep like I used to. I also stay up late online. This is something to work on. I have also noticed improvement from Energin.

I don’t use a lot of progesterone. 2-3 drops of haidut’s bottle on my hirsutism area. The combination of Magnesium progesterone B2 and glycine makes me feel very calm and peaceful

equipoise

This is something to consider. My sleep is not excellent nor terrible. I don’t take 2 hours to fall asleep like I used to. I also stay up late online. This is something to work on. I have also noticed improvement from Energin.
Yeah my sleep is also a story to tell.
It's trial and error with getting food just right, being mindful of any ingested substances that have the potential to uncouple, things like that. My sleep was better when I just ate whatever.
My friend who's the biggest PUFA eater of them all and just eats whatever sleeps like a baby. He does have evident health issues but he is simply not bothered

OP
U

ursidae

Is
Grape fasting got me most of my brain back within weeks. Was in combination with numerous herbs (ginger, turmeric, clove, black walnut hull to name a few) which kicked some larger parasite problems pretty easily.

A couple months after that, high-dose vitamin C (10-15g/day) as acerola cherry powder for less than 5 days further restored my short term memory and gave me a sense of physical calm that I had never experienced before.
Do you think this improvement is from going zero fat? I feel like this could be an insulin resistance problem.
I have some camu camu powder left. Might try this but I’ll have to quit if it lowers histamine and makes my mouth dry

Korven

GABAergics tend to make you forgetful. I've noticed this on benzos. But also progesterone in higher doses definitely impacts memory (negatively)

Notice the same if I overdo the progesterone - I basically get "brain fog" and it becomes hard to focus. I think cypro also makes me a bit stupider.

I've found that a) keeping your head warm (and producing lots of ATP) and b) keeping your gut clean are important for cognitive function. Whenever I have a bunch of undigested food fermenting in the intestine I basically become retarded.

Ray Peat said B1 and caffeine would work synergistically to eliminate brain fog.

Do you think this improvement is from going zero fat? I feel like this could be an insulin resistance problem.
Never crossed my mind, but I'm sure my blood sugar regulation improved during each period, respectively. My first guess was that fructose was being used by the liver after upwards of 2 years without eating any fruit. Could've also been a potassium repletion.

To your thought, living on that much fructose would leave little room for additional fat, otherwise the liver would be quite overwhelmed, I would imagine.

OP
U

ursidae

Yeah my sleep is also a story to tell.
It's trial and error with getting food just right, being mindful of any ingested substances that have the potential to uncouple, things like that. My sleep was better when I just ate whatever.
My friend who's the biggest PUFA eater of them all and just eats whatever sleeps like a baby. He does have evident health issues but he is simply not bothered
I listened to a jodelle podcast with peat today. They were discussing insomnia and he said something to the effect of "the brain needs energy to be able to relax". Most of my relatives, particularly the men, fall asleep within minutes of laying down and they do have health issues. This is one of the things that has improved for me despite poor light hygiene, possibly due to iodine

OP
U

ursidae

Never crossed my mind, but I'm sure my blood sugar regulation improved during each period, respectively. My first guess was that fructose was being used by the liver after upwards of 2 years without eating any fruit. Could've also been a potassium repletion.

To your thought, living on that much fructose would leave little room for additional fat, otherwise the liver would be quite overwhelmed, I would imagine.
I read a hypothesis that alzheimers is type III diabetes

Little to no starch gives me a great boost in cognition, but it's hard to maintain a diet like that for me.

B12 sublingually is good for memory, but makes me cranky.

Thyroid is good for reasoning capabilities.

I read a hypothesis that alzheimers is type III diabetes
I heard that too, but I thought the Randle Cycle worked differently in the brain? As in when the rest of the body is stuck using fat, the brain gets the glucose, as an adaptation, due to its high caloric needs.

shine

B12 sublingually is good for memory, but makes me cranky.

I recently tried intranasal methyl-B12 (liquid supplement containing purified water, ethanol, methyl-B12) and it feels like it has a very regenerative effect on my brain. Works better than sublingual/oral. I tried it because I read that you can have normal or even high B12 blood levels but low levels in the CNS/spinal fluid.

FitnessMike

coconut oil improves my memory and alertness for awhile after ingesting

I recently tried intranasal methyl-B12 (liquid supplement containing purified water, ethanol, methyl-B12) and it feels like it has a very regenerative effect on my brain. Works better than sublingual/oral. I tried it because I read that you can have normal or even high B12 blood levels but low levels in the CNS/spinal fluid.
Nice. What aspect did you notice the biggest increase in( memory, analogical/reasoning/ perceptive skills etc.)?I never tried it intranasally. I'd need to get a good, pure B12 to do that with. How much better would you say it was compared to sublingual?

I think people with SIBO can have high levels of B12 in blood, but even then still have deficiency symptoms.

shine

Nice. What aspect did you notice the biggest increase in( memory, analogical/reasoning/ perceptive skills etc.)?I never tried it intranasally. I'd need to get a good, pure B12 to do that with. How much better would you say it was compared to sublingual?

I think people with SIBO can have high levels of B12 in blood, but even then still have deficiency symptoms.

Memory and perceptive skills. My recall is better/quicker and I perceive the world in a more sharp and glowing way. I notice more details in my environment. It's also calming my nerves and I sleep better.

I'd say 200 mcg intranasally is equivalent to 1000 mcg sublingually. That's just a rough estimate, but it feels like more reaches the brain.

redsun

Also, whenever I take:
Glycine
Progesterone
Magnesium
Thiamine

I cant really remember phone numbers besides a few. Those are not so vital to know because of the ability to save contacts nowadays. But otherwise, sounds like attention problems and some short term working memory problems.

Working memory primarily controlled by the dorsolateral prefrontal cortex. Which is strongly affected by dopamine and norepinephrine. Both of these are targeted by ADHD meds.

Don't know if you currently eat much starch but insulin can help increase tyrosine transport into the brain (thus more raw material by which dopamine and norepinephrine is made). So if you have ever eaten primarily sugar for carbs vs primarily starch for carbs and you had better attention, working memory when eating more starches that could be partly why. This could also partly explain why cholinergics help (besides the obvious Ach increase effect on the brain), because acetylcholine controls insulin secretion.

"The administration of insulin or the ingestion of glucose increases the concentration of tryptophan and tyrosine in the brain. This increase is associated with a parallel decrease in the concentration of free tryptophan and tyrosine in serum. The results suggest that insulin enhances the transport of tyrosine and tryptophan from blood to brain. The results, moreover, suggest that exogenous or endogenous insulin enhances the transport of tyrosine and tryptophan from blood to brain."

"All current pharmacological treatments for ADHD facilitate catecholamine transmission, and basic research suggests that these compounds have prominent actions in the prefrontal cortex (PFC). The dorsolateral PFC is especially sensitive to levels of norepinephrine and dopamine, whereby either too little or too much markedly impairs PFC function. Recent physiological studies have shown that norepinephrine strengthens PFC network connectivity and maintains persistent firing during a working memory task through stimulation of postsynaptic α2A-adrenoceptors on PFC neurons. Conversely, dopamine acts at D1 receptors to narrow spatial tuning, sculpting network inputs to decrease noise (i.e., stabilization of the representation). The stimulant medications and atomoxetine appear to enhance PFC function by indirectly increasing these catecholamine actions through blockade of norepinephrine and/or dopamine transporters. In contrast, guanfacine mimics the enhancing effects of norepinephrine at postsynaptic α2A-receptors in the PFC, strengthening network connectivity. Stronger PFC regulation of attention, behavior, and emotion likely contributes to the therapeutic effects of these medications for the treatment of ADHD."

Acetylcholine and dopamine help you focus (think of it like zoning into a conversation or social setting or a productive activity).

Just some things to think about. Norepinephrine is also important. Usually vitamin C supplementation increases it.