List Things that Have been pro- Mental clarity, Drive, Short-term memory for you

lampofred

Mushrooms: Mushrooms do something really good for my brain -- why?

It's a different kind of sharpness compared to the "cool" & "smooth" big-picture intelligence given by T3, but mushrooms very noticeably improve my cognition. They increase vivid dreaming as well, so I'm guessing the mechanism might be cholinergic.

Memory and perceptive skills. My recall is better/quicker and I perceive the world in a more sharp and glowing way. I notice more details in my environment. It's also calming my nerves and I sleep better.

I'd say 200 mcg intranasally is equivalent to 1000 mcg sublingually. That's just a rough estimate, but it feels like more reaches the brain.
That sounds great. Must be improving energy metabolism. Thanks for the suggestion.

OP
U

ursidae

I cant really remember phone numbers besides a few. Those are not so vital to know because of the ability to save contacts nowadays. But otherwise, sounds like attention problems and some short term working memory problems.

Working memory primarily controlled by the dorsolateral prefrontal cortex. Which is strongly affected by dopamine and norepinephrine. Both of these are targeted by ADHD meds.

Don't know if you currently eat much starch but insulin can help increase tyrosine transport into the brain (thus more raw material by which dopamine and norepinephrine is made). So if you have ever eaten primarily sugar for carbs vs primarily starch for carbs and you had better attention, working memory when eating more starches that could be partly why. This could also partly explain why cholinergics help (besides the obvious Ach increase effect on the brain), because acetylcholine controls insulin secretion.

"The administration of insulin or the ingestion of glucose increases the concentration of tryptophan and tyrosine in the brain. This increase is associated with a parallel decrease in the concentration of free tryptophan and tyrosine in serum. The results suggest that insulin enhances the transport of tyrosine and tryptophan from blood to brain. The results, moreover, suggest that exogenous or endogenous insulin enhances the transport of tyrosine and tryptophan from blood to brain."

"All current pharmacological treatments for ADHD facilitate catecholamine transmission, and basic research suggests that these compounds have prominent actions in the prefrontal cortex (PFC). The dorsolateral PFC is especially sensitive to levels of norepinephrine and dopamine, whereby either too little or too much markedly impairs PFC function. Recent physiological studies have shown that norepinephrine strengthens PFC network connectivity and maintains persistent firing during a working memory task through stimulation of postsynaptic α2A-adrenoceptors on PFC neurons. Conversely, dopamine acts at D1 receptors to narrow spatial tuning, sculpting network inputs to decrease noise (i.e., stabilization of the representation). The stimulant medications and atomoxetine appear to enhance PFC function by indirectly increasing these catecholamine actions through blockade of norepinephrine and/or dopamine transporters. In contrast, guanfacine mimics the enhancing effects of norepinephrine at postsynaptic α2A-receptors in the PFC, strengthening network connectivity. Stronger PFC regulation of attention, behavior, and emotion likely contributes to the therapeutic effects of these medications for the treatment of ADHD."

Acetylcholine and dopamine help you focus (think of it like zoning into a conversation or social setting or a productive activity).

Just some things to think about. Norepinephrine is also important. Usually vitamin C supplementation increases it.
the phone number thing, what I actually meant was the 7 number memory test that I was told about by a neurologist a long time ago. Can’t repeat a sequence of 7 numbers that I was told, much less recall them 5 minutes later

looked up an online test and found this one

failed at 7 twice and once at 5..I feel like this is somewhat concerning. I hope the cause is ADHD

potatoes are a staple carb source for me as Replacing starches with sugar leads to rapid weight loss, acne, coated tongue, physical weakness, needing to snack on fruit just to climb the stairs etc

Is there a point in supplementing tyrosine?

OP
U

ursidae

redsun

the phone number thing, what I actually meant was the 7 number memory test that I was told about by a neurologist a long time ago. Can’t repeat a sequence of 7 numbers that I was told, much less recall them 5 minutes later

looked up an online test and found this one

failed at 7 twice and once at 5..I feel like this is somewhat concerning. I hope the cause is ADHD

potatoes are a staple carb source for me as Replacing starches with sugar leads to rapid weight loss, acne, coated tongue, physical weakness, needing to snack on fruit just to climb the stairs etc

Is there a point in supplementing tyrosine?

It does help but its not permanent.

Yeh well if you failed when you were young then I would say it is ADHD type symptoms definitely because something was wrong or lacking in your nutrition (or from the womb even).

Gingko Biloba is pretty good for memory. I used to use it everyday.

OccamzRazer

A special kind of mushroom
Frequent bowel movements
Small amounts of red light
Coconut oil
Raw milk

OP
U

ursidae

I tried starch free for 4 days and yes I can think more clearly now. My focus or extremely poor memory isn’t any better but I don’t feel foggy. On the first day I had about 10 bowel movements and since day 3 I’ve been getting progressively worsening loose stools until waking up with diarrhoea today. Either I can no longer stomach MgCl or I’ve developed fructose intolerance.

OP
U

ursidae

I also stopped having the ******* red face every time I eat. Everyone around me is starch based and no one got a red face. I didn’t use to have it

B322A424-8D9C-4342-93D2-5D6929484C4F.jpeg
025E5B55-F12F-48E6-8216-B8C81ED80E7A.jpeg

youngsinatra

Well-cooked white button mushrooms.
Low gut irritation with a sensitive diet.
Combo of niacinamide, tmg, thiamin, magnesium, coq10 with a high-carb meal.
Good vitamin D levels.

OccamzRazer

I tried starch free for 4 days and yes I can think more clearly now. My focus or extremely poor memory isn’t any better but I don’t feel foggy.
Nice! I can't do starch either - not any kind. It's kind of mental poison for me.

Was diagnosed with ASD in 2018, but when I avoid starch (and follow a few other Peaty principles) it basically just gets shut off.

OP
U

ursidae

yeah the problem is I can’t eat dairy and I can’t eat a ton of fat or fruit or too much meat. I’ve lost 3 kg already in this short time and my pants are loose to the point I have to pull them up while I walk. If I lose my period again I’ll have to go back to starch

I’m starting to think it’s not a nutrient that I’m missing. My entire family eats starch every day. No one has rosacea, no one has brain fog they’re all sharp and perform well cognitively. I’m supposed to be replete with vitamins and minerals from eating a nutrient dense diet and all the supplements while there’s a relative of mine who doesn’t sleep, lives on soda, bread and cornflakes and performs miles better than me mentally

yeah the problem is I can’t eat dairy and I can’t eat a ton of fat or fruit or too much meat. I’ve lost 3 kg already in this short time and my pants are loose to the point I have to pull them up while I walk. If I lose my period again I’ll have to go back to starch

I’m starting to think it’s not a nutrient that I’m missing. My entire family eats starch every day. No one has rosacea, no one has brain fog they’re all sharp and perform well cognitively. I’m supposed to be replete with vitamins and minerals from eating a nutrient dense diet and all the supplements while there’s a relative of mine who doesn’t sleep, lives on soda, bread and cornflakes and performs miles better than me mentally
Have you tried any anti parasitic approaches? If you have a fungal problem, there are many raw vegetables and herbs which could help to kick the bugs.

Alternatively, if you have a candida problem, that could be to blame for stealing nutrients and causing inflammatory symptoms while digesting food. Candida will only be cured if they are given ample sugar that they're looking for, i.e. milk or raw starch fasting.

OP
U

ursidae

Have you tried any anti parasitic approaches? If you have a fungal problem, there are many raw vegetables and herbs which could help to kick the bugs.

Alternatively, if you have a candida problem, that could be to blame for stealing nutrients and causing inflammatory symptoms while digesting food. Candida will only be cured if they are given ample sugar that they're looking for, i.e. milk or raw starch fasting.
Ive been on an anti parasitic medication (metronidazole) with long term improvement in flatulence and potato digestion. I did a lot of ginger, celery beet carrot juice and essential oils. What’s the best anti fungal? I also bought raw potato starch after seeing that thread you made but I never did the fast

You might be right as the only difference between me and those people who can eat whatever is that my tongue is white sometimes and theirs is always pink

Ive been on an anti parasitic medication (metronidazole) with long term improvement in flatulence and potato digestion. I did a lot of ginger, celery beet carrot juice and essential oils. What’s the best anti fungal? I also bought raw potato starch after seeing that thread you made but I never did the fast

You might be right as the only difference between me and those people who can eat whatever is that my tongue is white sometimes and theirs is always pink
Nice! I think black walnut hull, clove, wormwood, ginger, turmeric, raw carrot, raw celery, raw onion, raw garlic, and oil of oregano all have substantial anti-parasitic effect. Wormwood and oil of oregano can be very harsh while black walnut hull is slightly less-so. The rest of them are much more mild to moderate in that regard.

Some say white tongue is a result of mucous buildup, some say it's constipation/slow gut transit, and others say it's from excessive dampness (traditional Chinese medicine) in the body.

Other details of the tongue, like the color, shape, size, and presence of cracks or teeth marks can also help give clues to what is amiss.

YourUniverse

I read redsuns recommendations and things from his posts that have helped are eating a cow brain, B complex, histidine, zinc, choline (huge one), T3. As I understand dopamine, acetylcholine, histidine are important players in this. But my cognitive situation is still very suboptimal, compared to regular people who eat a standard diet and to myself several years ago. I think there's might be some brain damage from fluoride supplementation in childhood and having very high cortisol for several months. Examples: cannot memorize a phone number, or recall something that was said seconds ago, when asked a question like "what's your name" take 2 seconds more than everyone else to answer, have regressed into some kind of childish immature personality which relatives have remarked on

Also, whenever I take:
Glycine
Progesterone
Magnesium
Thiamine

I can't think clearly for the next few hours. I can take some of this at night, but I get digestive problems if all the mag is taken at once. Possibly my consumption of potatoes is contributing to cognitive issues too. I can't quit them as I lose too much weight
Me too, lately. The other day I struggled to calculate the # of doses a supplement would give me. I feel more dull.

In another post you mentioned you have mold in your home? I found some the other day. I ran a HEPA filter attached to a box fan (recommended in another thread here) to help clear the air and I think it helps. If there's mold, your metabolism will suffer as it struggles to keep your system clean from it, definitely affecting cognition, a metabolically expensive... process (it took a while to find the word "process" just then, lol. Blue light destroys B2, and B2 is needed for word recall, FWIW).

Do you read or study at all? For school or yourself. I haven't challenged my brain in some time, and I bet this is contributing. Will need to struggle to get back to the level of readiness I had, which makes it less likely I do so...

OP
U

ursidae

Yeah I’m trying to read and study so I can get a job and have the money for expensive air filters or just have some independence. But I’m finding myself reading the same sentence over and over and over again, taking 40-50 minutes to go through one page, having a hard time comprehending longer sentences and barely remembering anything I read. I used to be a good at math. Now I am abysmal

daphne134

Copper glycinate, 4mg per day - cognitive game changer for me. Not sure if this is safe in perpetuity ...

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals