List of safe cheeses made with animal rennet

Vileplume

Hi @Vileplume. :wave: Coffee is weird for me, too. It goes right through me and makes me bloated, but it improves my mood and gives me such pleasant dreams. I started drinking black tea this past January and experience the same benefits but without any of the digestive issues so my reaction to coffee doesn’t seem to be due to the caffeine. It can’t be because of mycotoxins since it happens even with mycotoxin-free coffee. I don’t react negatively to brewed cacao so I’m wondering if it has something to do with the processing of the bean after the coffee cherry has gone through the initial fermentation process? I don’t know much about coffee so I just did a quick search to see how the bean is processed and it appears that not all beans are fermented prior to roasting, which makes me wonder if coffee from beans that were fermented might cause less digestive distress for those with sensitive intestines?

@Matestube, that’s crazy! Do you know what it is about coffee that has that effect on you?
Hey Jennifer :wave:

Reading through some of your previous posts, I saw that coffee gave you bloating like it does for me, and that you’d been getting good results from tea.

What brand of tea do you use? I’d love to still keep drinking caffeinated beverages throughout the day because of how positively they affect my mood and mental function.

That’s very interesting about the fermentation—I wonder also of coffee cherries’ non-uniform ripeness has anything to do with negative effects. Maybe coffee beans from unripe cherries have more toxins than from ripe ones.

Jennifer

Great! Thank you so much for explaining, @Rinse & rePeat.

@Vileplume, that’s a good point about ripeness. Even though it’s not the fruit we’re consuming when we drink coffee, it would still affect the seed, I’d imagine. I was buying a few Hawaii grown teas from here:

When I ran out, I grabbed the Equal Exchange brand at the market and really enjoyed its fruitiness so I’ve been buying it ever since:

I want to try TAYLORS of Harrogate Yorkshire Gold next:

Amazon product ASIN B000XEV9YEView: https://www.amazon.com/Taylors-Harrogate-Yorkshire-Gold-Teabags/dp/B000XEV9YE

Vileplume

Great! Thank you so much for explaining, @Rinse & rePeat.

@Vileplume, that’s a good point about ripeness. Even though it’s not the fruit we’re consuming when we drink coffee, it would still affect the seed, I’d imagine. I was buying a few Hawaii grown teas from here:

When I ran out, I grabbed the Equal Exchange brand at the market and really enjoyed its fruitiness so I’ve been buying it ever since:

I want to try TAYLORS of Harrogate Yorkshire Gold next:

Amazon product ASIN B000XEV9YEView: https://www.amazon.com/Taylors-Harrogate-Yorkshire-Gold-Teabags/dp/B000XEV9YE
Awesome, thanks Jennifer. Do you think getting a certain quality is imperative for the tea to digest well? Have you ever had a black tea that caused digestive distress?

Matestube

Echoing Jennifer’s question, I wonder what it is about coffee that had that effect?

For me the negative effects seem entirely due to digestion, but not every coffee causes those effects.
Not sure either.
It seems to be mostly when I'm on testosterone and coffee together.
Neither alone gives me those sides.

Jennifer

You're welcome, @Vileplume. :) It's probably highly individual, but I tolerated even a cheaper tea like Pure Leaf well. I've yet to have a black tea that wasn't well-tolerated. Flavor aside, I think the main motivation for being particular about our choice of tea is the potential accumulation of heavy metals from contaminated soils.

Lollipop2

Thanks…darn I love that cheese :confused:
Yeah…I finally found a store that sells mountain cheeses from Italy and a Gouda and provolone with no enzymes nor microbial rennet nor lab generated cultures. It took me years to find these. Keep looking. This store also sells some Vermont cheeses without. I had to totally avoid health food stores and Whole Foods and look at specialty cheese shops. Whew ? happy now.

Vileplume

You're welcome, @Vileplume. :) It's probably highly individual, but I tolerated even a cheaper tea like Pure Leaf well. I've yet to have a black tea that wasn't well-tolerated. Flavor aside, I think the main motivation for being particular about our choice of tea is the potential accumulation of heavy metals from contaminated soils.
Good point on the heavy metal accumulation. Im gonna look for some nice loose-leaf tea tomorrow and brew it right into my warm milk. Thanks for the idea.

Jennifer

@Vileplume, great! I hope it treats you well and you enjoy it. I like your idea of brewing it in milk. I'll have to try that. I've never had tea with milk before, just sugar.

Jennifer

Yeah…I finally found a store that sells mountain cheeses from Italy and a Gouda and provolone with no enzymes nor microbial rennet nor lab generated cultures.

Lisa, would you mind explaining what a lab generated culture is? I've been culturing my own yogurt using mesophilic heirloom cultures--those wouldn't be lab generated, right?

Lollipop2

Lisa, would you mind explaining what a lab generated culture is? I've been culturing my own yogurt using mesophilic heirloom cultures--those wouldn't be lab generated, right?
Correct! You are good. These are the cultures used by cheese makers for at least hundreds of years.

The other man made cultures they literally grow them in a lab and are a GMO, industrial product that they sell to dairy folks. Sadly I see them in even organic cottage cheeses, cheeses etc. We definitely need to be reading labels now…

Lollipop2

Correct! You are good. These are the cultures used by cheese makers for at least hundreds of years.

The other man made cultures they literally grow them in a lab and are a GMO, industrial product that they sell to dairy folks. Sadly I see them in even organic cottage cheeses, cheeses etc. We definitely need to be reading labels now…
@Jennifer the day I looked this up was a trip into the rabbit hole - lol - had to go to several Govt. Websites and look up industrial food additives and their safety factor. Took me hours. I was certainly convinced after doing that research. Now I even have my husband reading labels and rejecting enzymes in cheeses and telling people about them. These mountain cheeses I have found use traditional animal rennet. Small producers that say “cultures” I would trust these are traditional. Large companies and large cheese industrial cheese makers I would not trust their cultures.

B

BRBsavinWorld

For those who are curious, I recently learned that in the cheesemaking process, "cultures" are actually a lacto-fermented dairy product - in traditional mozzarella, it was whey saved from the last batch. It speeds up the fermentation, and adds flavor. As far as lactic acid is concerned, it's gonna be filtered out in the filtration process.

Unfortunately, as a Peat quote in here explained, they are even artificially making cultures...

Jennifer

Great! Thank you so much, @Lollipop2 and @Josiah Baldwin. The cultures I have were cultured from milk then dried, and I use some of the yogurt from a previous batch to inoculate the next one.

Lisa, do the mountain and Vermont cheeses you found have a website or business info on their package? I live next to Vermont so I might be able to track down the Vermont cheese. I think the goat goudas I have are safe, but I'm trying to find a mild cheddar, provolone and mozzarella for my dad's meals.

Lollipop2

Great! Thank you so much, @Lollipop2 and @Josiah Baldwin. The cultures I have were cultured from milk then dried, and I use some of the yogurt from a previous batch to inoculate the next one.

Lisa, do the mountain and Vermont cheeses you found have a website or business info on their package? I live next to Vermont so I might be able to track down the Vermont cheese. I think the goat goudas I have are safe, but I'm trying to find a mild cheddar, provolone and mozzarella for my dad's meals.
I am going to visit the store today actually - lol! I will try and write the company names for you. These Italian small producers might not even have websites, but I bet the Vermont one does. I tried looking up the mountain cheese I love called Alta Badia - impossible to find. This store is super high end and is called Eataly. You might look them up they are AMAZING. Only a few in the world.

Dallas company makes a homemade mozzarella with no additives and in the traditional manner. Called Mozzarella Company (I think). Anyway, mozzarella will be the easiest to find - also a cheddar from UK called 1833 uses traditional animal rennet and is amazing and fairly easy to find BUT - not sure it is mild - aged 18 months.

I will definitely search for you today :): and let you know.

Jennifer

Wonderful! Thank you, @Lollipop2. I just checked and there's an Eataly (Cute name. hehe) in Boston, Mass., which is only an hour from me. I'm going to check the Italian shop here in the city tomorrow and see if I can order some cheese and if not, I'll check Eataly. I have no problem finding aged cheese with animal rennet, but my dad is a Wonder Bread and processed cheese kind of man so the cheese has to be mild and it's been challenging to find without enzymes.

I'm thinking this isn't the 1833 cheddar you're referring to since it contains vegetable rennet (?):

Lollipop2

Wonderful! Thank you, @Lollipop2. I just checked and there's an Eataly (Cute name. hehe) in Boston, Mass., which is only an hour from me. I'm going to check the Italian shop here in the city tomorrow and see if I can order some cheese and if not, I'll check Eataly. I have no problem finding aged cheese with animal rennet, but my dad is a Wonder Bread and processed cheese kind of man so the cheese has to be mild and it's been challenging to find without enzymes.

I'm thinking this isn't the 1833 cheddar you're referring to since it contains vegetable rennet (?):

No we get ours at another shop and no veg rennet. Maybe they make two versions? An upscale one and a lower version?

Oh My ? Eataly is amazing! Worth the drive. The cheeses are out of this world!! Here is the Vermont cheese:

F294C714-B9C6-42B5-BB94-144566928EDE.jpeg

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals