List Of RPF Members Who Have Worked In Health, Medicine, And Science

Waynish

Not sure if this is the right forum for this, but it would be cool to have a list of various people's health, medical, and science experience on here.

So, who has worked in health, medicine, or science - and what did you do?

I'll start: worked 3y in molecular biology lab.

Peatful

I worked 25 years in physical rehabilitation as a clinician.

Mathematician

I am a mathematician (a mathematical physicist to be specific) and I have a tenured appointment at a research university in the USA.

haidut

Forum Supporter
I worked as a bioinformatics researcher at The National Biomedical Research Foundation (NBRF), which got subsequently folded under the Protein Information Resource (PIR). The PIR organization does a lot of work with NIH and various other facilities around the world and especially in Switzerland. PIR produces and maintained the following resources.
Welcome to PIR [Protein Information Resource]
UniProt
iPTMnet

I have personally coded a good portion of the algorithms behind UniProt and PIRSF above.
About 90% of the PIR staff is people with Ph.D. (or higher) in biochemistry, medicine (MD), physics, and bioinformatics. I worked there from 2002 to 2005 and collaborated with many of those people. This is what started my initial interest in biochemistry and what gave me my initial knowledge of all things related to physiology and human health. I attended all the seminars these people held or attended themselves and helped them with their research as well. Since them it has been reading a variety of medical literature, classes, and volunteering in hospital, as well as contracting labs to perform experiments I am interested in.
So, not sure if this qualifies as medical/scientific experience but it is my background. Oh, my academic training is in Computer Science hence the bioinformatics job I got when I graduates from college.

Makrosky

I have personally coded a good portion of the algorithms behind UniProt and PIRSF above.
haidut, really ? You developed portions of the UniProt website ?

I also worked in a bioinformatics lab. We would use UniProt all the time. I developed software that was dependant on uniprot info.

LOL. Coincidences of life.

May I ask... how does one volunteer in an hospital ? You go to the MD's and you say hey I'm a hobbist researcher I want to help and the whitecoats just let you help them ?

dalejxen

Former Personal trainer/ nutrition consultant most of my client base were natural bodybuilders , athletes and the elderley. Currently studying a double degree in science and chiropractics

haidut

Forum Supporter
haidut, really ? You developed portions of the UniProt website ?

I also worked in a bioinformatics lab. We would use UniProt all the time. I developed software that was dependant on uniprot info.

LOL. Coincidences of life.

May I ask... how does one volunteer in an hospital ? You go to the MD's and you say hey I'm a hobbist researcher I want to help and the whitecoats just let you help them ?

Lol, what a small world! Yes, I coded a good portion of it, especially the backend search engine. Since PIR is on campus at Georgetown University (my alma mater) and quite a few of the people at PIR has joint positions as professors at the medical school and worked at the hospital as well, it was not hard to get involved. I do not do any interventions though, I strictly observe and get access to data.

Makrosky

Lol, what a small world! Yes, I coded a good portion of it, especially the backend search engine. Since PIR is on campus at Georgetown University (my alma mater) and quite a few of the people at PIR has joint positions as professors at the medical school and worked at the hospital as well, it was not hard to get involved. I do not do any interventions though, I strictly observe and get access to data.
Ahhhhh ok!! That explains :):

bcopeland

I own a business doing:
  • Fitness (kettlebells, bodyweight, nutrition, fat loss)
  • Sports Performance / Injury Prevention
  • Pain Elimination / Injury Rehabilitation
  • Self-Defense / Combatives
Extensive education in neurophysiology, neuro-rehab, visual-vestibular-proprioceptive improvement, cerebellar integration, neuroplasticity / metaplasticity.

So as far as science goes... brain crap :): Not sure how relevant that is to Peat forum but from time to time I see people seeking a nutritional solution to things that might be caused by issues related to other systems. I don't post often so... meh

bk_

I’m a former research scientist with peer reviewed publications, I will not elaborate for privacy reasons.

I was not happy with the state of affairs in academia and the funding paradigm which seriously limited the pursuit of fundamental science and inquiry. It pigeon holes a researcher not to mention it is a vocation setup as a pyramid scheme.

After much thought I left to the dismay of my colleagues and used my talents elsewhere. I hope to return to academia to pursue a new idea for a new research topic that I want to research, though I don’t see a future in academia unless you have the patience to reach tenure.