List Of MAO Inhibiting Supplements?

Sospian

I take a lot of supplements for a variety of reasons, from supplementing micronutrients to increasing testosterone and ATP.

Unfortunately I also suffer from mild autism to which going gluten free and supplementing L. Reuteri have been absolutely game-changers.

With that in mind, last year I stupidly took large doses of St John's Wort daily as it seemed to alleviate my brain fog. I'm talking about up to 3g a day, alongside 2g of Ashwaghanda.

Since then I've been experiencing many symptoms of high serotonin that have amplified a particular part of my autism. Things no longer seem clear to me.

To put it into perspective, things feel unfocused as if I should be wearing glasses; problem being that there's nothing wrong with my eyesight.

Anyway, after checking out Han's Men Elite page on lowering serotonin, one thing hit me.

I'm more than certain that some of the supplements I'm taking contain MAO inhibitors, preventing my body's ability to brain down excess serotonin.

Does anyone have a list of MAOI supplements as I think it would be helpful for anyone including myself in avoiding excess serotonin, which could be deadly.

Thanks

Estradiol

Selegiline inhibits MAO-B and it should be used in low doses.

Memantine inhibits both A and B.

Frankdee20

I take a lot of supplements for a variety of reasons, from supplementing micronutrients to increasing testosterone and ATP.

Unfortunately I also suffer from mild autism to which going gluten free and supplementing L. Reuteri have been absolutely game-changers.

With that in mind, last year I stupidly took large doses of St John's Wort daily as it seemed to alleviate my brain fog. I'm talking about up to 3g a day, alongside 2g of Ashwaghanda.

Since then I've been experiencing many symptoms of high serotonin that have amplified a particular part of my autism. Things no longer seem clear to me.

To put it into perspective, things feel unfocused as if I should be wearing glasses; problem being that there's nothing wrong with my eyesight.

Anyway, after checking out Han's Men Elite page on lowering serotonin, one thing hit me.

I'm more than certain that some of the supplements I'm taking contain MAO inhibitors, preventing my body's ability to brain down excess serotonin.

Does anyone have a list of MAOI supplements as I think it would be helpful for anyone including myself in avoiding excess serotonin, which could be deadly.

Thanks

Saint Johns Wort definitely has an MAOI mechanism, so does Syrian Rue, so does Passionflower, so does Rhodiola

fever257

Cyproheptadine is widely regarded as one the best anti-serotonin drugs out there. It requires a prescription in the United States though.

golder

Selegiline inhibits MAO-B and it should be used in low doses.

Memantine inhibits both A and B.
Presumably, it would be better to just use Memantine/Adamantine then, seeing as it offers more comprehensive inhibtition of MAO than Selegiline? What instancesdo you think it would be more worthwhile to use Selegiline only?

PeskyPeater

Like SSRI Ashwaganda decreases the serotonin feedback system called 5-ht1a. -link , with no or less activating that 5ht1a system the serotonin levels don't go down.

You can see that when control mice get a 5-HT1A agonist, their serotonin levels decrease, the 5-HT1A agonist is promoting feedback and the raphe is ceasing serotonin production. But in the 5-HT1A knockout and the ones getting the small interfering RNA, serotonin levels stayed normal. There's no feedback to give, no 5-HT1A receptors to give it. - source
So increasing its [5-ht1a autoreceptor] expression or sensitivity could maybe be helpful to alleviate high serotonin symptoms.
I know that ginger is a partial 5ht1a agonist -edit- but it's vacoconstrictive . And blue lotus extract increases 5ht1a.
In traditional chinese med there is also Gou Teng that is partial 5ht1a agonist that could modulate that system.

-Cheers

maillol

I think you mean you want MAO increasing substances, not inhibitors, if you want to increase the breakdown of serotonin. Riboflavin does this as it is the cofactor for the enzyme. Be careful as it increases both MAO-A and MAO-B so it will also degrade dopamine. It always makes me depressed.

aliml

List of MAOIs​

Nonselective MAO-A and MAO-B inhibitors​

• Naturally occurring sources
Natural occuring sourceChemical
Banisteriopsis caapi (ayahuasca, caapi or yagé)(−)-epicatechin[35]MAO-B
Banisteriopsis caapi (ayahuasca, caapi or yagé)(−)-procyanidins[35]MAO-B
Banisteriopsis caapi (ayahuasca, caapi or yagé)Harmaline[35]RIMA
Banisteriopsis caapi (ayahuasca, caapi or yagé)Harmine[35]MAO-A, MAO-B
Black pepper (Piper nigrum)Piperine[36]MAO-A, MAO-B
Cannabis, Cannabis extractMAO-A, MAO-B[37]
Cocoa bean (from Theobroma cacao)Caffeine[38]MAO-A, MAO-B[39]
Cocoa bean (from Theobroma cacao)Catechin[40][41]MAO-B[42]
Cocoa bean (from Theobroma cacao)Epicatechin[43][41]MAO-B[42]
Cocoa bean (from Theobroma cacao)Tetrahydro-beta-carbolines[44]
Coffee (Coffea arabica, Coffea canephora)CaffeineMAO-A, MAO-B[39]
Coffee (Coffea arabica, Coffea canephora)Harman[45]MAO-A, MAO-B[46]
Coffee (Coffea arabica, Coffea canephora)Norharman[45]MAO-A, MAO-B[47]
Liquorice/licorice (Glycyrrhiza Glabra)Isoliquiritigenin[17]MAO-A, MAO-B
Liquorice/licorice (Glycyrrhiza Glabra)Liquiritigenin[17]MAO-A, MAO-B
Long pepper (Piper longum)Piperine[36]MAO-A, MAO-B
Nutmeg (Myristica fragrans)Kaempferol[48]MAO-A
Nutmeg (Myristica fragrans)MyristicinMAO-A, MAO-B?[49]
Nutmeg (Myristica fragrans)Quercetin[50]MAO-A
Passionflower (Passiflora incarnata), weak MAOIApigeninMAO-A
Passionflower (Passiflora incarnata), weak MAOIHarmineMAO-A, MAO-B
Passionflower (Passiflora incarnata), weak MAOIKaempferolMAO-A
Passionflower (Passiflora incarnata), weak MAOIQuercetinMAO-A
Rhodiola roseaMAO-A, MAO-B[51]
Syrian rue (Peganum harmala)HarmalineRIMA
Syrian rue (Peganum harmala)HarmanMAO-A, MAO-B[46]
Syrian rue (Peganum harmala)HarmineMAO-A, MAO-B
Tobacco1,2,3,4-tetrahydro-b-carboline (THbC)[37]MAO-A, MAO-B
Tobacco1,2,3,4-tetrahydroisoquinoline[37]MAO-A, MAO-B
TobaccoHarman[52]MAO-A, MAO-B[46]
TobaccoNorharman[52]MAO-A, MAO-B[47]
  • Psychedelics
  • Pharmaceuticals
    • Hydrazine (antidepressant)
      • Isocarboxazid (Marplan)
      • Nialamide (Niamid)
      • Phenelzine (Nardil, Nardelzine)
      • Hydracarbazine
    • Non-hydrazines
      • Tranylcypromine (Parnate, Jatrosom)

Selective MAO-A inhibitors​

For safer MAO-A inhibitors, see RIMA.
  • Psychedelics
  • Pharmaceuticals
    • Bifemelane (Alnert, Celeport) (available in Japan)
    • Isocarboxazid (common brand name Marplan)
    • Phenelzine (common brand name Nardil)
    • Pirlindole (Pirazidol) (available in Russia)
    • Tranylcypromine (common brand name Parnate)

Selective MAO-B inhibitors​

• Kava (Piper methysticum): Yangonin. Kava pyrones: The order of potency was desmethoxyyangonin > (+/-)-methysticin > yangonin > (+/-)-dihydromethysticin > (+/-)- dihydrokavain > (+/-)-kavain.[58]
    • Olives (Olea europaea), fresh, olive leaf extract: The selective MAO-B inhibitor hydroxytyrosol.[59]
  • Pharmaceuticals
    • Rasagiline (Azilect)
    • Selegiline (Deprenyl, Eldepryl, Emsam, Zelapar)
    • Safinamide (Xadago)

Unknown selectivity​

Research​

• Mimosa tenuiflora: As there have been no MAO inhibitors detected in M. tenuiflora, there is ongoing interest into how yurema exerts its visionary effects.[60]

PeskyPeater

nice list!
Only, it's not clear if these effects are in vitro or in vivo. I think rhodiola had in vitro MOA inhibition but not in vivo.

btw, psychonautwiki is a cool very useful website especially when dealing with drugs, medicin or recreative :)

Last edited:

PeskyPeater

Thanks
What stands out: Ashwagandha has similar effects to SSRI, it desensitizes the 5HT1a feedback system.

I think when MOA-A cause trouble especially in the brain, it could well be there is a genetic expression of SERT Serotonin transporter allele short, meaning having not much transporters, a low expression.
So then you can imagine, having a short SERT allele and using MOA-A, it induces excessive amounts of serotonin with weird effects.

Elie

Forum Supporter
nice list!
Only, it's not clear if these effects are in vitro or in vivo. I think rhodiola had in vitro MOA inhibition but not in vivo.

btw, psychonautwiki is a cool very useful website especially when dealing with drugs, medicin or recreative :)
Hi PeskyPeater
Do you have a link or reference for in vivo evaluation of Rhodiola's MOA inhibitory action (or lack of)?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals