List All You Know That Reduces Hyperglycemia And Or FFA?

Yeah, it's been in my experiences that dietary protein is more lipogenic than carbohydrate. Of course, this likely means I have some sort of impairment with storing glycogen, because the only way for protein to be converted into fat is for it to first go through gluconeogenesis.

And this pathway for protein is only going to be upregulated in the presence of inferior glycogen storage. But I lost some additional weight just by replacing some protein in my diet with more carbs.

And like, at the time, I didn't really think I needed to lose weight. I've never been excessively fat. So I thought that was crazy, when I flattened out more by REDUCING protein. You never hear of that, lol. All you hear is to eat MORE protein if you wanna lose weight. But oh well, maybe I'm just weird backwards, lmao.

Do you have an eye on your bodycomp? Did you lose fat, muscle or water, or combinations?

Yeah, it's been in my experiences that dietary protein is more lipogenic than carbohydrate. Of course, this likely means I have some sort of impairment with storing glycogen, because the only way for protein to be converted into fat is for it to first go through gluconeogenesis.

And this pathway for protein is only going to be upregulated in the presence of inferior glycogen storage. But I lost some additional weight just by replacing some protein in my diet with more carbs.

And like, at the time, I didn't really think I needed to lose weight. I've never been excessively fat. So I thought that was crazy, when I flattened out more by REDUCING protein. You never hear of that, lol. All you hear is to eat MORE protein if you wanna lose weight. But oh well, maybe I'm just weird backwards, lmao.
More protein is good for weight loss, because it's more satiating than anything else imo.

Jessie

Do you have an eye on your bodycomp? Did you lose fat, muscle or water, or combinations?
Maybe, I'm not scientific about it. I don't measure body composition, waist size, or anything. I don't even weigh myself on scales. I just go by how I look, feel, and how my clothes fit.

I had a slight bulge in my lower abdomen, and it disappeared after lowing my protein. I'm guessing it lowered my gluconeogenesis, which lowered my cortsiol, and is probably the mechanism behind why my abdomen flattened out.

More protein is good for weight loss, because it's more satiating than anything else imo.

If you can actually use your protein without it going down the gluconeogenesis pathway then yeah, I agree. Unfortunately anyone with glycogen storing issues or just liver problems in general will probably have a tough time with high protein diets. Years of ketogenic dieting can make it really hard to turn this pathway off, at least from my experiences.

yerrag

@yerrag what do you think about the research showing you have to consume ~500g of glucose for lipogenesis? Obviously metabolic rate and other factors are important.
I don't know about that research. Do you have a link to it? Are you sure that study is about glucose and not about fructose?

Rickyman

You're not wrong there. Which was why I wrote Ray recently asking him if he could find it worthwhile to devote a newsletter to the subject of blood sugar regulation, as we'd seen what could happen to some members that go into their own "Ray Peat diet" and end up getting overweight and/or obese. He wasn't happy about that term as he never did talk about such a diet, but I explained to him that it was a convenient term to use in general as he spoke well of sugar in contrast to most so-called experts who saw sugar as evil.

And we share the same observation that Ray Peat has never recommended complex carbs. But I did tell him that, noting that his recommendation of sugar, OJ, and even Coke - is for people with optimal blood sugar control. And he did not disagree with me. I told him that people with poor blood sugar control can benefit from complex carbs instead to manage their condition, and I would recommend this to people here, but it would listen more if he were to provide some guidance on this matter as people would listen to him. He said I understood that well. But we'll see if he could grant my request.

It's because there are people like @Vegancrossfit who talk like experts, exuding so much confidence in spreading wrong ideas that people get mislead and end up with poorer health than they started with.

He is Exhibit A of Ray Peat saying that HbA1c is not a good indicator of blood sugar health. HbA1c is more a measure of the glycation of protein in our blood, as affected by the presence of PUFAs in blood. That Vegancrossfit's HbA1c went down when he ate less fat merely proved what Ray Peat was saying in his critique of this indicator.

VeganCrossfit saw his A1c go down with less fat intake. He concluded that high blood sugar can be fixed with lower fat intake. And also with the mind of a simpleton decided that if hyperglycemia can be improved with less fat intake, then it must be true that hypoglycemia can be improved with more fat intake.

As wiser ones know, nothing is that simple.
So what did he say is the best test for blood sugar issues if not A1C. Also what if you omit the "bad" stuff from the emails with Peat, so you can share them. It would be nice.

Cloudhands

i think that a lot of people go low fat to try and get their metabolisms up, but their digestion, sleep and horomonal profile get wrecked, making their insulin resistance worse.

Rickyman

i think that a lot of people go low fat to try and get their metabolisms up, but their digestion, sleep and horomonal profile get wrecked, making their insulin resistance worse.
I think you're right about this.

Hiccup25

Would it be worthwhile to take thyroid to manage blood sugar? Or would it be better to manage it with complex carbs and slowly repair the sugar metabolism?

Cloudhands

Would it be worthwhile to take thyroid to manage blood sugar? Or would it be better to manage it with complex carbs and slowly repair the sugar metabolism?
if you have hypothyroid symptoms then yes it would be worth it. B3, b1, b5, also help manage blood sugar, and aspirin, salt, calcium, magnesium, potassium, exercise, brewers yeast can all also be effective at lowering blood glucose and increasing insulin sensitivity

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals