Liquids and cold hands/feet.

Rrr

I finally found a store bought oj that tastes decent and doesn't have additives. Drinking a liter of oj on top of about 2.5 liters of skim milk seems to be a bit too much liquid and now I have been getting cold hands and feet.

What would be the most effective way to fix this without reducing the amount of liquids in my diet?

1. Salt? I've read users here getting freezing cold with so much oj and milk and after really upping their salt intake, they could drink all the liquid they wanted and still be warm. The only problem I have with this is that extra salt makes me thirsty. I've tried salting my milk in the past and it just made me thirsty. I tried salting oj and milk now and I got thirsty and needed to drink more oj/milk without salt to quench the thirst. No difference in temps. Not enough salt to see a temp difference? Though more would just make me even thirstier. I've always been pretty low on salt, because it makes me thirsty. Could I somehow increase salt intake without triggering thirst?

2. Table sugar? Would adding sugar to milk and oj to increase calorie density help? Iirc, there is a thread here about balancing high potassium and liquid intake with sodium. Someone there recommended increasing sugar rather than salt intake. Too bad I can't find it now.

3. Would something else work?

Any help is appreciated.

-R

i had a similar problem. you should really get blood work done and danny roddy's recommendations. that can really paint a picture for you. for me, my vitamin D was way too low. when i upped the D and started doing egg shell calcium.. that made the most difference so far. i'm way better temperature wise now.. although not all my problems are solved... yet. :D

tara

Our needs vary.
Are you spreading it out throught the day? Some times timing makes a difference. If it's too much in one go, sometimes just spreading it out through the day more may help. Or it may affect you differently at diferent times of day.Personally, I'm more prone to troubel from too much liquid in the morning, but often need more in the afternoon.
Since you've tried increasing salt, you could also try increasing calorie density, and see if that helps.

OP
R

Rrr

I had a brief lowish carb stint. Getting cold after liquids could also mean I'm hypothroid and/or have low metabolism. Though my blood work a while ago showed no signs of hypothroidism. I also didn't have this problem during and before summer. Though I didn't drink oj then. The cold weather could also be a part of the reason why I'm getting cold.

I'll try spreading all the liquid through the day. I'll also try egg shell calcium. And sugar.

Thanks for the suggestions!

tara

BTW, ice-cold liquids can suck the heat out of your body to warm itself up to body temperature. If you are doing that, you cold try try drinking it warmer, too?

Rrr said:
post 99515 Getting cold after liquids could also mean I'm hypothroid and/or have low metabolism. Though my blood work a while ago showed no signs of hypothroidism.
Is that based on your interpretation of blood test results, or on drs interpretation? How about other symptoms? What are your temps and resting pulse like when you haven't just drunk lots of liquid?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
R

Rrr

It's my doctor's interpretation. Drinking less at once and sugar seem to have done the trick. No more cold hands and feet. :thumbleft

tara

Rrr said:
post 99849 It's my doctor's interpretation.
Doctors often treat it as normal to be what Peat would consider hypothyroid. You could ask dr for the actual results (numbers) if you want opinions on that from here.
Glad you got your hands and feet warm. :)

Last edited by a moderator: