Linus Pauling May Have Been Vindicated - Vitamin C May Treat Cancer

yerrag

I'm not sure if it's something to worry about. As far as I can tell, all we have going for that is one short Ray Peat quote. I have not been able to find any data on this.

But if there were trace heavy metals present, a tiny amount of EDTA – or maybe even phytic acid – would probably safely chelate most of them.
The current lead toxicity I have in my kidneys very likely comes from a previous chelation gone awry. The chelated lead from the body tissues end up getting stuck on the kidney, instead of being urinated out. So, I'm just very careful not to introduce new lead into my body. It sounds nice that it can be chelated, but things don't always turn out the way we intended. Life always throws you a curve ball, so they say.

InChristAlone

Any reputable company selling ascorbic acid will have a certificate of analysis, you just have to ask for it. I get mine from a lady who set out to source the best from China Vitamin C as ascorbic acid 16 oz. - FINE POWDER . The first batch I got from her was excellent less than 2 ppm lead and less than 3 ppm heavy metals. Seriously that is like nothing. You'd have to eat 1 million grams of it to get 2 grams of lead (which obviously wouldn't be possible), the lead level for anything involving children is set at like 150 ppm lead, you probably get over that just eating chocolate, just think about that, a tsp of ascorbic acid powder has less lead contamination than chocolate. Each batch will be different though.

yerrag

Any reputable company selling ascorbic acid will have a certificate of analysis, you just have to ask for it. I get mine from a lady who set out to source the best from China Vitamin C as ascorbic acid 16 oz. - FINE POWDER . The first batch I got from her was excellent less than 2 ppm lead and less than 3 ppm heavy metals. Seriously that is like nothing. You'd have to eat 1 million grams of it to get 2 grams of lead (which obviously wouldn't be possible), the lead level for anything involving children is set at like 150 ppm lead, you probably get over that just eating chocolate, just think about that, a tsp of ascorbic acid powder has less lead contamination than chocolate. Each batch will be different though.
Thanks for the tip Janelle! I'll look into that link and ask for a certificate of analysis. Considering the price, that would be a very good value for the money. I often don't ask suppliers, which I should do more often.

Dave Clark

Check out the Life Extension Foundation's vitamin C powder. Their products are rigorously tested for contaminants like heavy metals. I trust theirs to be at least purer than most available.

johnwester130

Interesting,

Once I read an article by Linus Pauling , he mentioned vitamin c is important to produce body's natural hyaluronidase inhibitor.

And by that also vitamin c may prevent cancer..;
Hyaluronidase causes tissue enlargement ,and fragments of hyaluronic acid in blood causing inflammation in the body.according to peat.

i have been reading that vitamin c is the only way to increase progesterone .

The Solution Is Nuanced: The Gottfried Protocol for Low Progesterone
 | Sara Gottfried MD

things like camu would be best though

is the vitamin c / progesterone link ever explored by peat ?

johnwester130

Check out the Life Extension Foundation's vitamin C powder. Their products are rigorously tested for contaminants like heavy metals. I trust theirs to be at least purer than most available.

it's irrelevant. the body won't hold on to it anyway

paymanz

i have been reading that vitamin c is the only way to increase progesterone .

The Solution Is Nuanced: The Gottfried Protocol for Low Progesterone
 | Sara Gottfried MD

things like camu would be best though

is the vitamin c / progesterone link ever explored by peat ?
Yeah I saw your thread , its interesting.

I looked into full text of one of those studies you posted, vitamin c increased their progesterone.

But also increased estrogen.

I don't think ray mentioned their connection with the vitamin.

johnwester130

Yeah I saw your thread , its interesting.

I looked into full text of one of those studies you posted, vitamin c increased their progesterone.

But also increased estrogen.

I don't think ray mentioned their connection with the vitamin.

maybe the vitamin c worked by acting on the adrenals

yerrag

RobertJM

I tried this vitamin C therapy recently and can honestly say that it didn't have any effects on me whatsoever. Really disappointing. And there was me thinking it was going to at least have interesting effects. I obviously get plenty of C from the juices I drink and foods that I eat. Higher dosages of C don't do anything for me.

Amazoniac

It's usually the same: physiological doses of nutrients and the effects are insignificant, then there's a range in which it clearly worsens the problem, and then massive doses that override the pathogenic issue. I wonder if some nutrients target the problematic area preferentially, for example, Max Gerson wrote in his book that vitamins A and D when supplemented are immediately picked up by tumors, so he couldn't give patients. Now you could argue that it's because it's part of the metabolism of a tumor, however he also noticed the same effect for iodine. Is it attracted to the PUFA that tumors are avid for? I don't know, but iodine is a nutrient for more complex and evolved organisms, which is why it's considered an antimicrobial nutrient and many times used for this purpose (the classic Szent-haidut that appears on every health book); so there's something odd there. But anyway, in his therapy book he claims that he used this to his advantage. If I remember it right, it's the reason why supplemental iodine was given in conjunction with thyroid hormone. So, I wonder if he kept insisting and balancing the fat-soluble properly or any other supplement that supports cell respiration but failed in his trials, because much more is known right now, he would have success. And by the way, just like Abram Hoffer, niacin and vit C were the main supplemented nutrients. It's like Diokine and Dave Foster: partners in defense.

CLASH

@hiadut
Do you have any experiences with ascorbic acid supplements yourself?

chimdp

My answer is simply the amount we would get from eating natural foods without cooking, since heat destroys this vitamin.

@Travis What are you thoughts on Pasteurized OJ if heat destroys the vitamin? Most of the OJ brands including the one I use, Organic Uncle Matt's, say Pasteurized on the label, does this mean the Vitamin C content on the label is inaccurate? There's no added Vitamin C on the label.