Link Between A Sluggish Thyroid And Slow Digestion?

VanillaBean

I was wondering if slow bowel transit time, or slow digestion is linked to hypothyroidism?

And what would cause this? I have had slow digestion for as long as I can remember. And I have had a sluggish thyroid for a long time too. I'm sure it's related but have not seen documented evidence.

tara

I don't know about studies.
My picture of it is:
Low thyroid means less energy able to be produced in any cell, including in the muscles that control peristalsis in the digestive system, and the cells producing digestive enzymes etc.
Low thyroid often results in low CO2 levels.
Low CO2 tends to reduce blood and oxygen supply to digestive system.

Separate, but sometimes related:
Undereating tends to increase digestive transit time, in an attempt to get more nourishment out of food as it passes through.

jyb

VanillaBean said:
I was wondering if slow bowel transit time, or slow digestion is linked to hypothyroidism?

And what would cause this? I have had slow digestion for as long as I can remember. And I have had a sluggish thyroid for a long time too. I'm sure it's related but have not seen documented evidence.

You'd expect everything, all organs to function less well, it is not specific to the gut. However transit time and digestive problems are easy to notice.

OP
V

VanillaBean

Yes, I do think there is a connection as the thyroid controls so many things. It seems everything is slowed down when you have hypothyroidism. Digestion would be one of them.

YuraCZ

VanillaBean said:
Yes, I do think there is a connection as the thyroid controls so many things. It seems everything is slowed down when you have hypothyroidism. Digestion would be one of them.
No, really? You deserve a Nobel Prize. :rofl :rolling :wink:

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals