Limbal Ring - Youth & Attractiveness

puella

I came across a Psychology Today article today ("Four Underappreciated Markers of Female Beauty") & it stated: “limbal ring” is the dark ring that appears around the iris (i.e., the colored part) of the eye. A wide dark limbal ring is an honest signal of youth and health, as the limbal ring fades and narrows as people age. "

Example:

46385436.jpg

1) Naturally got me thinking if you could slow or reverse the fading of the limbal ring with a pro-metabolic/Peat inspired diet? Members over 20 yrs old, how are your limbal rings looking?

2) I had major surgery a few months ago & came out with my skin looking bright & youthful for a couple weeks. My father had said "you went in 30-something & came out looking 16". Once I got home, I kept thinking "wow my eyes look like they're glowing!". Just looked at a picture taken 1 day after surgery & sure enough I have nice dark limbal rings. I'm wondering if anyone might have any guesses as to what caused my temporary "youth reaction"? Find it especially peculiar because my stress level was quite high prior to surgery.

Regina

I came across a Psychology Today article today ("Four Underappreciated Markers of Female Beauty") & it stated: “limbal ring” is the dark ring that appears around the iris (i.e., the colored part) of the eye. A wide dark limbal ring is an honest signal of youth and health, as the limbal ring fades and narrows as people age. "

Example:

46385436.jpg

1) Naturally got me thinking if you could slow or reverse the fading of the limbal ring with a pro-metabolic/Peat inspired diet? Members over 20 yrs old, how are your limbal rings looking?

2) I had major surgery a few months ago & came out with my skin looking bright & youthful for a couple weeks. My father had said "you went in 30-something & came out looking 16". Once I got home, I kept thinking "wow my eyes look like they're glowing!". Just looked at a picture taken 1 day after surgery & sure enough I have nice dark limbal rings. I'm wondering if anyone might have any guesses as to what caused my temporary "youth reaction"? Find it especially peculiar because my stress level was quite high prior to surgery.
I don't know much about iridology, but this doesn't seem right.
I used to have a dark ring around my blue iris as well as floaters). They both went away when I started eating more nutrient dense foods and no gluten. I note that now if I do a drop of metergoline, the blue iris sparkles with clarity straight through from pupil to white.

Queequeg

Well it definitely helps on the attraction meter. It seems like it does the same thing eyeliner does and makes the white part of the eye appear more white.
upload_2017-7-19_19-13-38.jpeg

schultz

Eyes are definitely more attractive with a darker limbal ring, at least in my opinion. It makes a surprisingly big difference in what somebody looks like. I never thought about it before!!

michael94

Well it definitely helps on the attraction meter. It seems like it does the same thing eyeliner does and makes the white part of the eye appear more white.
View attachment 5988
Good point about the eyeliner. It's extremely common in graphics/flag design etc. to make things 'pop' by giving a black border or outline.

lvysaur

I had major surgery a few months ago & came out with my skin looking bright & youthful for a couple weeks. My father had said "you went in 30-something & came out looking 16". Once I got home, I kept thinking "wow my eyes look like they're glowing!". Just looked at a picture taken 1 day after surgery & sure enough I have nice dark limbal rings.

What was the nature of the surgery?

Jennifer

In iridology, the limbal ring is considered the skin ring and points to a weakness in this area, so the less pronounced the limbal ring, the stronger/healthier the skin.

I tend to believe iridology in this instance because I have prominent limbal rings and an obvious parathyroid/thyroid gland weakness given how I fractured half my spine due to osteoporosis by the time I was 27. The parathyroid mainly, but also the thyroid (the hormone calcitonin), affects calcium utilization in the body and connective tissue integrity, and the thyroid affects the skin's ability to sweat/purge.

I do look really young for my age - despite being 36, I'm constantly being asked what I'm doing out of school when I'm out and about during school hours, but I think it mostly has to do with my round face, small frame and meek demeanor. I've seen plenty of people without visible limbal rings who look really young for their age. Those of African and Asian descent come to mind.

My eyes look like the right eye of the woman in the photo Queequeg posted, with that thick, dark limbal ring. Before going raw fruitarian back in 2007ish, my eyes were so dark you couldn't see my pupils. My eyes lightened quite a bit those two years before stopping the diet. When I went back to the diet in 2015, my eyes resumed lightening and they're now more of a hazel color - the once deep brown/black color that covered my whole iris is now very light brown and continues to break up, allowing more and more green to show through as time goes on and I see my health improve. What I find interesting is how my limbal ring has thinned and lightened parallel to my PTH and thyroid numbers improving.

Denise Minger shares a similar experience, as well as Kristina Carrillo-Bucaram (Fullyraw Kristina). For anyone interested in iridology, check out Bernard Jensen's work.

michael94

In iridology, the limbal ring is considered the skin ring and points to a weakness in this area, so the less pronounced the limbal ring, the stronger/healthier the skin.

I tend to believe iridology in this instance because I have prominent limbal rings and an obvious parathyroid/thyroid gland weakness given how I fractured half my spine due to osteoporosis by the time I was 27. The parathyroid mainly, but also the thyroid (the hormone calcitonin), affects calcium utilization in the body and connective tissue integrity, and the thyroid affects the skin's ability to sweat/purge.

I do look really young for my age - despite being 36, I'm constantly being asked what I'm doing out of school when I'm out and about during school hours, but I think it mostly has to do with my round face, small frame and meek demeanor. I've seen plenty of people without visible limbal rings who look really young for their age. Those of African and Asian descent come to mind.

My eyes look like the right eye of the woman in the photo Queequeg posted, with that thick, dark limbal ring. Before going raw fruitarian back in 2007ish, my eyes were so dark you couldn't see my pupils. My eyes lightened quite a bit those two years before stopping the diet. When I went back to the diet in 2015, my eyes resumed lightening and they're now more of a hazel color - the once deep brown/black color that covered my whole iris is now very light brown and continues to break up, allowing more and more green to show through as time goes on and I see my health improve. What I find interesting is how my limbal ring has thinned and lightened parallel to my PTH and thyroid numbers improving.

Denise Minger shares a similar experience, as well as Kristina Carrillo-Bucaram (Fullyraw Kristina). For anyone interested in iridology, check out Bernard Jensen's work.

What is meant here by "pronounced", exactly? This youtuber Kristina has a noticable limbal ring in her video from July 16th of this year. youtube.com/watch?v=gRDmVgL4Vis

Perhaps there is a difference between a well-defined limbal ring that doesn't 'bleed over' into the iris and one that is thick and dull along with darkening of iris? Could you post some examples of ideal eyes?

http://puu.sh/wO6nd/fd5caa6566.jpg

michael94

maybe the issue is that in old age whatever part of the eye that signals there are issues has atrophied? So they have no limbal ring but it doesn't mean a limbal ring is ideal. Kind of like how very unhealthy people start to lose sensitivities to foods and supplements. What do you think?

Jennifer

maybe the issue is that in old age whatever part of the eye that signals there are issues has atrophied? So they have no limbal ring but it doesn't mean a limbal ring is ideal. Kind of like how very unhealthy people start to lose sensitivities to foods and supplements. What do you think?
Hmm...I could see that. Unfortunately, my understanding of iridology is very limited. In an attempt to curb my tendency toward overcomplicating health, I only looked into iridology briefly after my eyes began lightening the second time around and I came across Dr. Morse. I'm still on the fence as to whether or not I believe in it completely, but I can't help but find it fascinating. Seeing ebony colored eyes staring back at me in the mirror for most of my life to now seeing almost hazel eyes, feels so bizarre.

To answer your other post, by pronounced I mean a thickness and darkness of color. A good example would be the picture Queequeg posted. You can probably tell that the woman's right limbal ring is less pronounced than her left one? Assuming iridology has credibility and the light source is hitting both eyes fairly equally, I'd guess her parathyroid gland(s) on her right side are stronger than the ones on her left.

There are so many tissues and possible weaknesses reflected in the iris that I question could affect the thickness and color of the skin ring. I know of at least one called a cholesterol ring. It appears as a sort of hazy white ring around the iris where the skin ring is. It looks like this:

image.jpeg

And if I remember correctly, a hazy blue/violet ring around the iris points to a circulation weakness (at least in Jensen's teachings). Maybe just a coincidence, but my mum has a major, long-standing issue with her circulation and a hazy blue/violet ring around both of her brown irises.

Then there's the lymphatic system which is reflected in the color of the iris. In iridology there are only two eye colors considered to be genetic - brown and blue. Depending on if and how congested the lymph system is, this will show up as either white (acute), yellow (sub-acute) and brown (chronic/degenerative) over the iris. A sub-acutely congested lymphatic system in a genetically blue eyed person is what makes green eyes. A true brown eye will never have green in it. It can only vary in shades of brown.

There's also sulphur. Supposedly, inorganic sulphur from things like sulpha drugs is hard for the body to break down and eliminate and this appears as an orange color in the iris. So what I question is if a congested lymph system could affect the appearance of the limbal ring, too. I would think in the very least it could make it appear darker.

Without knowing Kristina's medical history, and not being an expert in iridology myself, I honestly couldn't say why she still has a limbal ring. Assuming iridology is actually credible, some things that might have played a role...

She started out with dark brown eyes and came to a raw food diet extremely sick. She clearly has genetically blue eyes so given that she started out with brown eyes, she was dealing with chronic issues which means a longer healing time and perhaps her thyroid/parathyroid glands were among her weaker tissues and they still have some regenerating to do, and/or her lifestyle pushed off their healing?

I've been familiar with her raw journey since she began posting about it on the 30 bananas a day forum and doing YouTube videos, and along with being a type A personality who takes on her fair share of stress, she has been a dedicated runner the entire time, running upwards of 10 miles daily, which as Ray has pointed out, could affect the thyroid negatively. She's also been known to skimp on sleep.

The video below shows how dark her eyes started out. It's from 2013 and to me, it seems like her eyes have since lost most of the remaining orange/brown they had at the time and now appear blue:

Queequeg

Hmm...I could see that. Unfortunately, my understanding of iridology is very limited. In an attempt to curb my tendency toward overcomplicating health, I only looked into iridology briefly after my eyes began lightening the second time around and I came across Dr. Morse. I'm still on the fence as to whether or not I believe in it completely, but I can't help but find it fascinating. Seeing ebony colored eyes staring back at me in the mirror for most of my life to now seeing almost hazel eyes, feels so bizarre.

To answer your other post, by pronounced I mean a thickness and darkness of color. A good example would be the picture Queequeg posted. You can probably tell that the woman's right limbal ring is less pronounced than her left one? Assuming iridology has credibility and the light source is hitting both eyes fairly equally, I'd guess her parathyroid gland(s) on her right side are stronger than the ones on her left.

There are so many tissues and possible weaknesses reflected in the iris that I question could affect the thickness and color of the skin ring. I know of at least one called a cholesterol ring. It appears as a sort of hazy white ring around the iris where the skin ring is. It looks like this:

View attachment 5990

And if I remember correctly, a hazy blue/violet ring around the iris points to a circulation weakness (at least in Jensen's teachings). Maybe just a coincidence, but my mum has a major, long-standing issue with her circulation and a hazy blue/violet ring around both of her brown irises.

Then there's the lymphatic system which is reflected in the color of the iris. In iridology there are only two eye colors considered to be genetic - brown and blue. Depending on if and how congested the lymph system is, this will show up as either white (acute), yellow (sub-acute) and brown (chronic/degenerative) over the iris. A sub-acutely congested lymphatic system in a genetically blue eyed person is what makes green eyes. A true brown eye will never have green in it. It can only vary in shades of brown.

There's also sulphur. Supposedly, inorganic sulphur from things like sulpha drugs is hard for the body to break down and eliminate and this appears as an orange color in the iris. So what I question is if a congested lymph system could affect the appearance of the limbal ring, too. I would think in the very least it could make it appear darker.

Without knowing Kristina's medical history, and not being an expert in iridology myself, I honestly couldn't say why she still has a limbal ring. Assuming iridology is actually credible, some things that might have played a role...

She started out with dark brown eyes and came to a raw food diet extremely sick. She clearly has genetically blue eyes so given that she started out with brown eyes, she was dealing with chronic issues which means a longer healing time and perhaps her thyroid/parathyroid glands were among her weaker tissues and they still have some regenerating to do, and/or her lifestyle pushed off their healing?

I've been familiar with her raw journey since she began posting about it on the 30 bananas a day forum and doing YouTube videos, and along with being a type A personality who takes on her fair share of stress, she has been a dedicated runner the entire time, running upwards of 10 miles daily, which as Ray has pointed out, could affect the thyroid negatively. She's also been known to skimp on sleep.

The video below shows how dark her eyes started out. It's from 2013 and to me, it seems like her eyes have since lost most of the remaining orange/brown they had at the time and now appear blue:

Interesting stuff, thank you. I should have clarified before but the girl above is wearing a limbal ring contact lens in her right eye. Apparently it is very popular in Japan,

OP
puella

puella

Thanks for sharing your experiences & all the info. I can't imagine witnessing such drastic changes. This certainly feels like an overlooked frontier so personal accounts like yours, Regina's & Kristina's are fascinating. I'm definitely going to start paying closer attention to my eyes & those close to me to see if/how they change in relation to health. I've found certain things in palmistry, particularly relating to finger nails, to be fairly accurate indicators of health.

From my own short experience, I'm thinking maybe a pronounced limbal ring is not ideal. I just remembered I was having vision problems after surgery as well. However, the impaired vision lasted considerably longer than the "eye glow". Maybe they weren't glowing at all & I was just seeing things? hah. But I have to agree with Queeque & Shultz & say that I like the way eyes look with a more distint limbal ring. Vanity be damned! :)

Perhaps there is a difference between a well-defined limbal ring that doesn't 'bleed over' into the iris and one that is thick and dull along with darkening of iris?

Incredibly thoughtful& interesting questions! Wish I had more to add but don't- this was exactly the kind of stuff I was fishing for though.

What was the nature of the surgery?

Brain tumor

If anybody is bored they can read the comments section of this article. Pretty hilarious.

It's painful! :)

Last edited:

Xisca

Thank you guys for always bringing so many interesting stuff!
Of course I went for a mirror. .. :)
I have green eyes, genetically blue. I have a nice blue ring. Inside is green, some brown very close to the pupila.

I SUGGEST -no science but thinking- that the ring can change in 2 different ways:
-I keep my green eyes, loose the ring and keep happy and proud of my super green gaze!
...and should not.
- I get back my childhood blue eyes, thus also loose the ring, and I get upset which I should not!

I want blue eyes! (Get lenses baby... Ho my! will you ever understand me? )

Check out would be with children pics, if they show no ring. Then rings in the youth age, and fading away with toxin burden. .. when the adult color fills all.

So I can see 2 opposite ways of loosing this ring.

lvysaur

I have green eyes, genetically blue.

I have trouble believing that we have a definition of genetically green eyes. There's genetic dark, and genetic light eyes, and the rest of the appearance is determined by unknown genes and/or complex epigenetic/environment factors.

Dark brown and brown are dark eyes. Everything else is light. Some vegans report having their eyes turn lighter, which I think is just a side effect of a shift to systemic neoteny.

Regina

My dog's iris clears beautifully with cyproheptadine. He acts like a real shithead when his limbral ring is pronounced; he's paranaoid, raging and lunging on the leash. He sees imaginary enemies everywhere. Cypro has been the first thing to make a difference after $$$$$$$ experiences with Vets.

Last edited:

shepherdgirl

A wide dark limbal ring is an honest signal of youth and health, as the limbal ring fades and narrows as people age.
Have there been studies that show this? If there are fewer older people with limbal rings, it could mean that they fade with age. It could also mean that people without limbal rings live longer! If they fade with age i wonder why.
There is something called a Kayser-Fleischer ring that is similar to a limbal ring. (I don't know how to distinguish it from a limbal ring.) A KF ring is associated with Wilson's disease and is caused by copper deposition:
Wilson's disease - Wikipedia