light sensitivity

barefooter

My eyes are extremely sensitive to bright light, and have been at least since I was 20 (29 now). If I'm out in the sun without sunglasses, I squint very hard and usually get a severe headache. I've been diagnosed with pyroluria, and I've heard that a symptom of that is light sensitivity, but taking the recommended zinc and b6 supplements hasn't helped the problem. I've just recently started following Peats dietary ideas, and I'm wondering if it will help with this problem. Anyone suffer the same problem and seen improvements? Any ideas on specific things I should try?

I can also be sensitive to load noises, but it's not as bad as light, and I deal poorly with stress in general. I'm wondering if my body has just been over stressed, and it can't tolerate excessive stimulus from light, sound, etc.

J

j.

PUFAs increase sensitivity to bright light. Avoiding all significant sources of polyunsaturated fats for four years will remove PUFAs from the tissues,

barefooter

j. said:
PUFAs increase sensitivity to bright light. Avoiding all significant sources of polyunsaturated fats for four years will remove PUFAs from the tissues,

Interesting, I hadn't considered PUFAs. However, I did start avoiding most PUFAs (besides nuts, salmon) around 3 or 4 years ago, and I'm also very lean, so I wonder if I have much stored up. Now that I'm cutting out nuts, salmon, etc., I wonder how much longer it will take to rid my system of the remaining PUFA. I was also reading that it could be related to low vitamin A over at peatarian, so I'll start making sure I get my weekly liver.

http://peatarian.com/18605/eyes-sensiti ... ight-light

Peata

barefooter said:
My eyes are extremely sensitive to bright light, and have been at least since I was 20 (29 now). If I'm out in the sun without sunglasses, I squint very hard and usually get a severe headache. I've been diagnosed with pyroluria, and I've heard that a symptom of that is light sensitivity, but taking the recommended zinc and b6 supplements hasn't helped the problem. I've just recently started following Peats dietary ideas, and I'm wondering if it will help with this problem. Anyone suffer the same problem and seen improvements? Any ideas on specific things I should try?

I can also be sensitive to load noises, but it's not as bad as light, and I deal poorly with stress in general. I'm wondering if my body has just been over stressed, and it can't tolerate excessive stimulus from light, sound, etc.

For what my experience is worth to you, I have had something like this before. It was worse during uncontrolled anxiety. I'd get paranoid about light, particularly glares, thinking it was damaging my eyes. I've often felt more comfortable in low light.

Now that I've been Peatg a while, I almost can't stand low light in the evening. I make sure to turn on the lamps. I do like walking in the dark for a little exercise and thinking purposes. Anyway, I get weekly vitamin A through liver. I'm not sure if it's the vitamin A that's helped with the condition, but I don't see how it hurt either.

Also started using a red light (250w heat lamp) a week ago, and at times I was a bit anxious using it. Now I'm much more comfortable with it on me - I actually love being under it (til I get too hot) even shining on my face -though I'd never look right into it. I usually have it shining from above and behind or above and to the side, not from the front. I wonder if it had a healing effect with light phobia too. I seem to be much more comfortable in all light, even the sun.

I used to have problems with noise too. I'd startle easily and also get irritated by certain noise even at a normal level. This seems to have mostly gone away to the extent that this woe has also helped my anxiety.

HDD

This is from a different thread but similar discussion:

Re: Noise Anxiety - Potassium deficiency
by Jenn » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:58 am

Thank you for mentioning light sensitivity. Excess seratonin can be a factor with an anxiety, gelatin can help.

barefooter

Haagendazendiane said:
Excess seratonin can be a factor with an anxiety, gelatin can help.

Just got my geletin in the mail today, so I'll be upping my intake to see if I can tolerate more light.

barefooter

I got the standard great lakes for making jello/gummies with and the green can for mixing into drinks.

barefooter

After two weeks into the Peat diet, I'm happy to report that I'm already noticing decreased sensitivity to bright light. I just go back from the park, where it was bright and sunny. While I'm still pretty sensitive, I feel like I'm getting close to being comfortable with my sunglasses off. This is really exciting to me, as I had never even considered until recently that I may be able to cure this issue. I LOVE this Peat stuff, and I'm so excited to get deeper into it!!