Light, interrupted sleep

aniciete

Coke is filled with caffeine and I would advise against that before sleep.

OP: salt, sugar, milk before sleep. If you're sleeping with your head to the north this needs to be changed. East/west preferably.

Collagen/poppy seeds/calming herbal teas. What you seem to have is a liver agitation (according to Chinese medicine) and so even a cucumber could potentially help before bed.
Why not south?

ALS

Coke is filled with caffeine and I would advise against that before sleep.

Caffeine can have a calming effect depending on the individual. It's helpful in cases of ADHD, which can cause insomnia. I've taken 600 mg capsules of it before sleep with no issues - just never on an empty stomach. Ray recommends coffee with heavy cream or half and half or just food with the coffee to avoid the jitters. Mexican Coke (bottle) has about 34 mg., less than a cup of coffee.

Last edited:

ursidae

Awesome replies, thanks. Interesting, there was a week in November where I doubled my daily egg intake (for the protein) and I slept a lot better the nights when I did this. Eggs high in choline
I think those liver support supplements helped me because the issue for me is there is not enough glycogen stored in the liver to have continuous glucose supply to last me through an overnight fast. This can be caused by hepatic insulin resistance-if the liver is insulin sensitive, the increase in insulin will signal for glucose to be stored as glycogen. If the liver is not receiving this signal, it behaves as if you're in a perpetual high adrenaline state, breaking down glycogen and not storing the glucose. Are you on a high fat high fructose diet?

Last edited:

David90

Anyone want to take a shot at what the cause of sporadic and light sleep is? Up every couple hours, not the deep, out cold sleep. Can get my temps and pulse up no problem, but it's the only issue I haven't been able to resolve. Thanks!
As mentioned, eating to soon before bed, CAN be a cause.

I would recommend something like this 1-2 Hours before Bed:

-Cottage Chesse (1 Package) with (around) 30g of Honey and a bit of Salt
-Gelatin / Collagen Powder (20g) with (around) 30g of Honey and a bit of Salt
Gelatin and Collagen Poweder have Glycine in it, which help you Relax (increases GABA?) and therefore lowers Cortisol. Also the Protein helps with Serotonin/Prolactin (according to a Georgi Dinkov Interview via a Podcast). And the Fructose helps your liver and hold your Blood Sugar stable over the Night.

K

Kayaker

As mentioned, eating to soon before bed, CAN be a cause.

I would recommend something like this 1-2 Hours before Bed:

-Cottage Chesse (1 Package) with (around) 30g of Honey and a bit of Salt
-Gelatin / Collagen Powder (20g) with (around) 30g of Honey and a bit of Salt
Gelatin and Collagen Poweder have Glycine in it, which help you Relax (increases GABA?) and therefore lowers Cortisol. Also the Protein helps with Serotonin/Prolactin (according to a Georgi Dinkov Interview via a Podcast). And the Fructose helps your liver and hold your Blood Sugar stable over the Night.
So you dissolve gelatin in honey? It sounds like it could cause gut issues for a lot of people, considering gelatin is notorious for causing bacterial overgrowth and honey is notorious for causing diarrhea, and they would be very vicious combined.

David90

So you dissolve gelatin in honey? It sounds like it could cause gut issues for a lot of people, considering gelatin is notorious for causing bacterial overgrowth and honey is notorious for causing diarrhea, and they would be very vicious combined.
That's why there a two Options. I Personally use Gelatin from a good Brand and not have any Problems with that. The Same with Honey. Of course you can swtich the Ingridients as you please.

But in Short. I would Advise a Protein Source (around 20-25g, preferably from Dairy or Collagen/Gelatin), as well as a Fructose Rich Fruit (or Honey, Agave Syrup) as well as a bit of Salt, 1-2 Hours before Bed. It should definently help with the Sleep Issues.

ALS

not for nothing Stasha Gominack (neurologist) trademarked her vitamin D supplementation protocol "Right Sleep"

it might help with that fatigue you are feeling as well

this is a pretty extensive podcast on D with Peat

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ur9F7THGBLg

make sure you are getting plenty of Ca too

godspeed

Some of the best advice I've heard from Ray was to make sure to get enough calcium, magnesium, sodium and potassium. I'm hypothyroid, so magnesium is always an issue. Salt helps preserve magnesium levels and raises the metabolic rate. The potassium counteracts the fatigue due to carbs / sugar (insulin response).

OP
M

mrdannyg3

Are you on a high fat high fructose diet?
Good question. Up til a couple weeks ago, actually, it was relatively high fat (probably macronutrients all at 1/3 of my calories, so fat 33%). Cuz it's so satiating lol. Yes very high fructose undoubtedly with OJ, strawberries and banana I eat. But I noticed that I lost weight relatively easily when I dropped fat to under 20%. Fat definitely was too high. Btw, it took me a couple years to figure out my daily milk/strawberry/banana smoothie shake was causing slight migraines, gas, and slight ear ringing after ingesting. It's subtle but it's there so it took me a long time. It's either bananas or strawberries. Milk I have alone and no issues so not milk. Last year I doubled my strawberry banana shake just for the convenience of easy daytime calories, and the migraines and ear ringing picked up big time. Especially migraines.

ALS

Good question. Up til a couple weeks ago, actually, it was relatively high fat (probably macronutrients all at 1/3 of my calories, so fat 33%). Cuz it's so satiating lol. Yes very high fructose undoubtedly with OJ, strawberries and banana I eat. But I noticed that I lost weight relatively easily when I dropped fat to under 20%. Fat definitely was too high. Btw, it took me a couple years to figure out my daily milk/strawberry/banana smoothie shake was causing slight migraines, gas, and slight ear ringing after ingesting. It's subtle but it's there so it took me a long time. It's either bananas or strawberries. Milk I have alone and no issues so not milk. Last year I doubled my strawberry banana shake just for the convenience of easy daytime calories, and the migraines and ear ringing picked up big time. Especially migraines.
Strawberries are high in histamine. You may want to increase magnesium to combat the histamine and eat a carrot salad in case of endotoxin induced migraines.

BlahtyBlah

You should try having your last meal 1-2 hours before bed. I personally have tried eating before bed and every single time I run into the issue you present. I think that giving yourself enough time for your last meal to digest properly is very important for deep sleep.

It's funny how different we all can be. For me it's quite the opposite. I have to have food within 30-45 min-1 hour before bed or else my sleep is horrible. With that said, it has to be easy digesting food. Nothing heavy. Usually it is Greek yogurt with fruit, or honey. Carbs before bed are a must to help me sleep and it's been that way since I began Peating, in 2012. I also usually take glycine and taurine and salt before bed as well. I also cut out all blue light and most light 4 hours before bed.

aniciete

It's funny how different we all can be. For me it's quite the opposite. I have to have food within 30-45 min-1 hour before bed or else my sleep is horrible. With that said, it has to be easy digesting food. Nothing heavy. Usually it is Greek yogurt with fruit, or honey. Carbs before bed are a must to help me sleep and it's been that way since I began Peating, in 2012. I also usually take glycine and taurine and salt before bed as well. I also cut out all blue light and most light 4 hours before bed.
Very true. I have tried many different types of food before bed and every time results in restless sleep. To me this proves that self experimentation is key to solving issues and finding what works for you.

My sleep was light and interrupted before I started taking T3. Low thyroid function causes restlessness.

ursidae

I think the problem with that mixture is it's really not an easy thing to digest. I have found good combining to be helpful and a banana milk meal is one of the biggest no's. Milk has complicated and unique digestion in adults. The only thing i'd add to milk is something like honey or maple syrup, maybe some spices like cinnamon and ginger. Banana itself needs to be perfectly ripe and even then not everyone digests it that well even on its own. I personally think food combining is a very natural and intuitive thing but on this forum it is considered a compensatory practice for the weak so I suppose the hyperthyroid beasts on here can eat steak with watermelon and and wash it down with a banana milkshake no problem

yerrag

Anyone want to take a shot at what the cause of sporadic and light sleep is? Up every couple hours, not the deep, out cold sleep. Can get my temps and pulse up no problem, but it's the only issue I haven't been able to resolve. Thanks!
Since I have been light and interrupted sleep lately myself, I tried one drop of cyproheptadine last night. It got me to sleep better.

I would probably have uninterrupted sleep except that I had to keep waking up to urinate. However, my frequent urination is due to having a high wbc and neutrophil count which I confirmed with a CBC test yesterday.

I believe that with the high microbial load in me as indicated by high wbc, I am likely high in serotonin as well, though this is not the usual high serotonin from gut issues.

I used Cypro and it helped.

You may not have the same exact issues as mine, but you may still have high serotonin and that may be disturbing your sleep.

Try using cypro and see if your sleep improves.

OP
M

mrdannyg3

Thanks for the suggestion. I can't get over the zombie feeling from the cypro, unfortunately. It does put me to sleep, though. Cypro and alcohol are two no no's for me, my entire next day is shot

yerrag

Thanks for the suggestion. I can't get over the zombie feeling from the cypro, unfortunately. It does put me to sleep, though. Cypro and alcohol are two no no's for me, my entire next day is shot
I bought Lisuride to balance/counter that effect of Cyproheptadine. I think Cyproheptadine can lower dopamine and Lisuride counters that effect.@Regina Is that how it works?

Anyway, I haven't the need to use Lisuride myself. I've used Cyproheptadine in the past, but it worked to improve my sleep only recently without feeling drowsy.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals