Light exposure increases androsterone by 200% in males

Mauritio

This is one of these good, old studies from the 30ies.

They applied light to different body parts of depressed individuals and measured androsterone output afterwards.

The light contained UV- and infrared light, similarly to sunlight:

"...the spectrum of this lamp consists of 52% infrared, 20% luminous and 28% ultraviolet rays."

Irradiating the chest increased androsterone output by about 120%:

"After 5 irradiations of the chest, the hormone output was raised to 155 i.u. per liter, that
is, an increase of 120%."

Irradiating the testicles yielded a 200% increase:

"The next series of irradiation was applied solely to the genital region and its immediate vicinity, the remainder of the body being carefully protected from all rays. After 5 irradiations during 6 days, the androsterone excretion
was raised from 70 to 205 i.u., nearly 200%"

In both applications the maximum level was reached after about 5 days, no further increase was observed. But after cessation the androsterone legel returned to baseline in a few days.
Screenshot_20220720-110959_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20220720-112156_Drive.jpg

What I find very interesting is that even once weekly application had similar results, although the peak was reached only after 12 applications:

"A case in which irradiations were applied twice weekly at first and later only once weekly did
not show the peak after 5 irradiations, but rather a continuous rise during the whole period of treatment which reached the number of 12 irradiations."

(https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...4QFnoECBQQAQ&usg=AOvVaw1Qoh6NvRms_E2XzXi7tUB5)

A.R

Thanks for posting. Maybe increase of Androsterone is part of the reason behind benefits of Red Light therapy?

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Thanks for posting. Maybe increase of Androsterone is part of the reason behind benefits of Red Light therapy?
Yeah part of it. I think the biggest benefit simply is an increase in oxidative metabolism, which should results in increased steroidogenesis as well.
Thanks @Mauritio for another gem.

For people able to read German I recommend HCFrickes blog on Light. Incredible Ressource

It costs a bit but it’s more than worth it

Glad you liked it ,man.
Thanks ,I'll check that out
View attachment 39912

I think I posted that study a few days ago:

miquelangeles

Yeah part of it. I think the biggest benefit simply is an increase in oxidative metabolism, which should results in increased steroidogenesis as well.

Glad you liked it ,man.
Thanks ,I'll check that out

I think I posted that study a few days ago:

Yes, I didn't notice. Just followed you now.
So, what would be best? Light colored, loose knit linen beachwear? lol

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

ThunderSpank

I cannot download or look at the study. Does anyone know how many minutes the skin was exposed to the light per session? Thanks!

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Best for irradiating the balls at a non-nude beach.
Yeah that's probably it 😄👍
Or you do your custom at home setup , with a UV-light and an incandescent bulb.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

A.R

Could you show me a good example please of a uv light/incandescent bulb? Red light is extremely expensive wherever I look.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Could you show me a good example please of a uv light/incandescent bulb? Red light is extremely expensive wherever I look.
You should search on the forum there's a few good threads with suggestions in it.
Btw red light devices arent necessarily expensive.

I'm.No.One

Get a chicken brooder heat light, the red one.

Don't use it by water at all as the bulbs get super hot & explode easy from moisture.

But also, the sun in free & getting it in your eyes within the first 30 mins of waking up/first 3 hours after sunrise will be far more beneficial than even the fanciest red light panels you can buy.

Even during a cloudy day the UV index is off the charts.

miquelangeles

Yes, I have one that I use in autumn/winter. I combined 3 x 200watt incandescents, one 6500K Samsung LED for blue and one 250watt red/infrared. I was planning to add a reptile lamp for UV but then summer came and I stopped using it. Good to know that it's UVB that does the trick. If you're planning to make such setup make sure you mitigate the electric fields ideally with a grounded fine metal mesh around the bulbs or in front of them.

miquelangeles

@Mauritio

In 1952 another group tried to replicate the Myerson 1939 study and failed to observe any change in androsterone excretion.

Myerson & Neustadt (1939) found that ultraviolet irradiation of the skin increased the 17-ketosteroid excretion in man.

To the best of our knowledge, these remarkable observations have neither been confirmed nor disproved. Certain objections may be raised against the investigations reported.

Firstly, the technique for the colorimetric determination of 17-ketosteroids used in 1938/39 was, in several respects, inferior to the technique commonly used at the present time.

Secondly, the concentration of 17-ketosteroids in the urine was determined, and not the 24-hour excretion.

Changes in the amount of 17- ketosteroids per liter of urine could, therefore, be due to an altered 24-hour output of urine.

It is important to keep in mind that a rise in the 17-ketosteroid excretion is a regular consequence of any exposure to «stress» (e.g. exposure to heat, burns, fever, intoxications, etc.).

Under these conditions, the production of adrenocorticotrophic hormone (ACTH) is stimulated, and an increased excretion of corticosteroids (including 17-ketosteroids) takes place. If the irradiation acts as a «stressor» by producing inflammation or a burn, an increased 17-ketosteroid excretion must be regarded as an unspecific stress reaction, and not as a result of a specific action of the ultraviolet rays on the steroid production or the steroid metabolism.

One of the present authors (C. H.) has made some investigations on the effect on the 17-ketosteroid excretion of exposure to strong sunlight (experiments on himself, unpublished data). In spite of the fact that a marked universal erythema appeared, no changes in the 17-ketosteroid excretion took place. The question of the influence of light on the function of the endocrine organs is, however, so important that we decided to repeat the experiments of Myerson & Neustadt.

The UVB study from Cell Reports seems rigorous though.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

The UVB study from Cell Reports seems rigorous though.
That's what I was going to say as well. And there's other studies showing similar things.

I think it can be said without much doubt that light has a stimulating effect on hormone production.

If you look at what peat says about it , the fact that there's steroidogenic enzymes and cholesterol in the skin and that the sun is one of the things that was always present throughout our evolution, it just makes sense.

View: https://twitter.com/Metabolicmonstr/status/1555303017477328897?t=pA2ORFmrE3sJwh1cW_Wtmw&s=19

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Also interesting

Back
Top Bottom