Light exposure increases androsterone by 200% in males

miquelangeles

That's what I was going to say as well. And there's other studies showing similar things.

I think it can be said without much doubt that light has a stimulating effect on hormone production.

If you look at what peat says about it , the fact that there's steroidogenic enzymes and cholesterol in the skin and that the sun is one of the things that was always present throughout our evolution, it just makes sense.

View: https://twitter.com/Metabolicmonstr/status/1555303017477328897?t=pA2ORFmrE3sJwh1cW_Wtmw&s=19

Yes, no doubt. And the optic nerve pathway to the brain is just as important.
Most of this summer I got at least 3-4 hours of full body sun exposure almost every day, but it was early in the mornings and evenings (7-9am, 6-8pm), so mostly orange, red and infrared - very little UV. But last couple of weeks I've been getting more midday sun, for the UVB. I found a 30 minutes session ideal, if I do 1 hour I get general inflammation. The 30 minutes make me feel great, very energized and awake.
I then realized that using incandescent bulbs everywhere at home and in my office during daytime was a mistake.
They were making me sleepy and too relaxed. Blue light is where the fun is at, like on a sunny day with clear skies.
So I started using 6500K cool white LEDs supplemented with one 200W incandescent, and immediately I felt more alert, able to focus and work.
There are quite a few studies on blue light or white light supplemented with blue light in work places improving productivity, happiness and sleep at night.

miquelangeles

Also interesting

What a synchronicity, I actually read this earlier in the afternoon.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Yes, no doubt. And the optic nerve pathway to the brain is just as important.
Most of this summer I got at least 3-4 hours of full body sun exposure almost every day, but it was early in the mornings and evenings (7-9am, 6-8pm), so mostly orange, red and infrared - very little UV. But last couple of weeks I've been getting more midday sun, for the UVB. I found a 30 minutes session ideal, if I do 1 hour I get general inflammation. The 30 minutes make me feel great, very energized and awake.
I then realized that using incandescent bulbs everywhere at home and in my office during daytime was a mistake.
They were making me sleepy and too relaxed. Blue light is where the fun is at, like on a sunny day with clear skies.
So I started using 6500K cool white LEDs supplemented with one 200W incandescent, and immediately I felt more alert, able to focus and work.
There are quite a few studies on blue light or white light supplemented with blue light in work places improving productivity, happiness and sleep at night.
30 minutes UV exposure (midday sommer sunny day) seems to be what they use in almost all studies I've read,so there seems to be something to it.

Just once weekly application has great effects on metabolism.

View: https://twitter.com/Metabolicmonstr/status/1559639412430016513?t=eUfiaZaEzF_XbBKPuMqDsg&s=19

So you're saying there is benefit to blue light exposure?
But it is toxic to the mitochondria at the end of the day, isnt it ?

View: https://twitter.com/heniek_htw/status/1552352965658288130?t=EyMAROLPnRsSiO2X-osedw&s=19

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

What a synchronicity, I actually read this earlier in the afternoon.
This Study seems to be in the "field" atm . Saw it a week ago and forgot about it and now it popped up

miquelangeles

I wouldn't use blue alone, only as part of a broader spectrum. Ray isn't a fan of narrow band red light either (642 nm LEDs can cause skin tumors).
Daylight has a 6500K color temperature with quite a bit of blue.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

I wouldn't use blue alone, only as part of a broader spectrum. Ray isn't a fan of narrow band red light either (642 nm LEDs can cause skin tumors).
Daylight has a 6500K color temperature with quite a bit of blue.
True.
I'm just not sure if there's any value in isolated blue light because some people seem to think so.

Best is really to get it straight from the source ☀️

miquelangeles

True.
I'm just not sure if there's any value in isolated blue light because some people seem to think so.

Best is really to get it straight from the source ☀️
I know it's effective for skin infections, with short treatment durations.
And I've seen there are "antibacterial" LED bulbs on the market, I think they use certain blue spectrum for the effect.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

And I've seen there are "antibacterial" LED bulbs on the market, I think they use certain blue spectrum for the effect.
Ok, interesting.

JamesGatz

I stayed in a moreso dimly lit room for 8+ hours a day for a WEEK and I can tell you it was the WORST MY MENTAL HEALTH has ever been

I REALLY NEED to always be in bright lit room or my testosterone comes CRASHING DOWN

A.R

I stayed in a moreso dimly lit room for 8+ hours a day for a WEEK and I can tell you it was the WORST MY MENTAL HEALTH has ever been

I REALLY NEED to always be in bright lit room or my testosterone comes CRASHING DOWN
What type of light bulb do you use in your bedroom?

schmolch

I'm struggling to find a daily routine that includes exposing my naked testicles to a light-source.

But i know it works. Direct sunlight is by far the best. IR-bulbs have some effect but i can't say i noticed something from UV-lights.

Imagine the benefits if we carried our testicles on top of our head. So much light, it would be wonderfull.

LadyRae

15 years ago, my standard dermatologist prescribed blue light therapy for acne that developed after the birth of my first child. The therapy consisted of 3, 20 minute sessions a week for a month, and then just one session every 3 weeks or so for maintenance.

It worked amazingly well and my skin completely cleared up during the first month, and I think I went for about a year and a half after and then just kind of forgot about it.

Knowing what I know now, I'm sure that I had some estrogen dominance during that postpartum time, although that hormonal acne postpartum never happened again even though I had three more children.

Sunlight feels like a strong medicine to me, I've always been a sunbather and in the winter I go to a tanning salon and find the bed with the most UVB...

Great thread 🌞

LadyRae

I'm struggling to find a daily routine that includes exposing my naked testicles to a light-source.

But i know it works. Direct sunlight is by far the best. IR-bulbs have some effect but i can't say i noticed something from UV-lights.

Imagine the benefits if we carried our testicles on top of our head. So much light, it would be wonderfull.
I am imagining 😅👆

Judd Crane

Interesting subject.

Any suggested protocols for a BR40 250w brooder light and a reptile UVB bulb (based on human studies or anecdotes)?

@Mauritio

schmolch

UVB light is awesome.
I experimented with lights previously but i guess i never stuck to the right kind of light and while IR feels very nice it is UVB that works for me.
Within hours/days i get the following effects:
- cold winter nights feel 10C warmer and i have to remove the blanket
- very aggressive sexual drive the next morning while i usually rarely have any kind of morning wood. I explicitly say aggressive not because i enjoy being obscene but because every man will know it's a significant difference in how you feel and it feels very good.
- deeper voice all day

I use the following lights:
2x Osram Vitalux. These are 300W full spectrum bulbs with proportionally high amounts of UVB, meaning more UVB then you would expect from the brightness and they are very bright. At a distance of 80cm 1 Vitalux actually rivals the summer-sun with 200 microWatts of UVB per cm^2 in the center of the beam, this is a lot!
2x 250W IR bulb

I have them mounted at a distance of roughly 1.2m and I use them about 1h a day (naked). Currently i have to point the UV lights more towards my legs because my chest is burned a little bit.
I also use lower power IR LEDs and CFL UV-lights (for reptiles) but i cannot say that i have noticed any effect from them even though they are on all day.

If that sounds like i am suggesting to everyone to potentially burn themselves - yes i do, but don't start with an hour.

Last edited:

Charger

I've been doing my best to maximize sun/light exposure after realizing how much it affects my mood (especially sunlight). I've long suspected that lack of light exposure has contributed a lot to my own health and hormonal issues over the years as I've been a homebody most of my life. Winter Blues are common for me every year (my mood is noticeably lower on gloomy days) and my goal is to eliminate the problem entirely if possible.

I've recently mounted a Carex 10,000 Day-Light Lamp over my workspace and it's made a noticeable difference in wakefulness/mood compared to other smaller SAD lamps I've tried.

daylightlamp.jpg

I've tried red light but notice my mood actually tends to be worse on those days I use it, not sure why. I respond better to white/UVB heat lamps, but can't keep them on all day without burning, obviously.

I'm also considering buying 1-2 Sperti Vitamin D Sunlamps and sitting them on a 6' shelf and standing infront of them for a few minutes during cloudy or overcast days where I can't maximize sunlight exposure.

Last edited:

Judd Crane

I use the following lights:
2x Osram Vitalux. These are 300W full spectrum bulbs with proportionally high amounts of UVB, meaning more UVB then you would expect from the brightness and they are very bright. At a distance of 80cm 1 Vitalux actually rivals the summer-sun with 200 microWatts of UVB per cm^2 in the center of the beam, this is a lot!
2x 250W IR bulb
Does this one emit a lot of IR too? What's the color temperature?

schmolch

Does this one emit a lot of IR too? What's the color temperature?
Color temp is not in the specs but subjectively i would say medium white, not cold white nor warm white. It is closest to sunlight of all the lamps i have ever used.
It emits a lot of IR and gets very hot (you need ceramic sockets for both). Compared to the 250W IR bulb maybe 20-30% of that heat.

Back
Top Bottom