Lifetime Alcohol Intake Associated With Lower Cerebral Amyloid-beta Deposition

SOMO

RP and Haidut have also stated that small amounts of alcohol will help dissolve Lipofuscin.

Maybe ethanol can also dissolve other negative compounds generated by our body, Ethanol IS one of the most effective solvents besides water.

haidut

Forum Supporter
RP and Haidut have also stated that small amounts of alcohol will help dissolve Lipofuscin.

Maybe ethanol can also dissolve other negative compounds generated by our body, Ethanol IS one of the most effective solvents besides water.

Yep, and it has been confirmed by multiple studies. Optimal alcohol intake for lipofuscin reduction appear to be in the range of 1-2 drinks per day, however, even higher alcohol consumption throughout the entire lifespan also seems to reduce lipofuscin. I think it depends on the diet. Keeping PUFA intake low allows alcohol to act as a solvent and reduce lipofuscin while in the presence of high iron/PUFA alcohol triggers a net increase in lipofuscin. Here is a study showing 10% of alcohol administration daily for the entire lifespan reduced lipofuscin.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/643904
"...In this connection, it is important to note that administration of alcohol to mice in this study increased mortality. The accumulation of intraneuronal lipofuscin pigment, however, was reduced while changes to nerve cells in the cerebellum and brain stem were not evident under the conditions of this experiment. The reasons for this seemingly paradoxical result between survival and intraneuronal lipofuscin pigment accumulation in this study are unclear at the present time."

Hugh Johnson

"seemingly paradoxical"

They were drinking 10% ethanol if I understand correctly. That's way too much alcohol.

I also wonder if the fact that young people seem to enjoy alcohol more has to do with their lower PUFA levels.

Korven

Drinking puts me in a fantastic mood even when everything is going wrong in my life and I feel hopeless and depressed. It's like a "life is awesome" switch goes off in my head and I start thinking positively about my future, myself and others around me. Probably why I used to drink a lot of alcohol to cope with emotional stress before.

Currently avoiding alcohol because I'm afraid of messing up my gut even to the smallest degree... Maybe I should get into the habit of having a couple of drinks every now and then to clear up some liver spots (lipofuscin) on my skin.

mrchibbs

Yep, and it has been confirmed by multiple studies. Optimal alcohol intake for lipofuscin reduction appear to be in the range of 1-2 drinks per day, however, even higher alcohol consumption throughout the entire lifespan also seems to reduce lipofuscin. I think it depends on the diet. Keeping PUFA intake low allows alcohol to act as a solvent and reduce lipofuscin while in the presence of high iron/PUFA alcohol triggers a net increase in lipofuscin. Here is a study showing 10% of alcohol administration daily for the entire lifespan reduced lipofuscin.
Dihydroergotoxine(Hydergine) and ethanol-induced aging of C57BL/6J male mice. - PubMed - NCBI
"...In this connection, it is important to note that administration of alcohol to mice in this study increased mortality. The accumulation of intraneuronal lipofuscin pigment, however, was reduced while changes to nerve cells in the cerebellum and brain stem were not evident under the conditions of this experiment. The reasons for this seemingly paradoxical result between survival and intraneuronal lipofuscin pigment accumulation in this study are unclear at the present time."

Georgi, can you speak to the relative preferability of clear distilled alcohols like gin & vodka? Maybe raki too I guess?

I remember hearing Ray say the clear alcohols are better (maybe because they contain less estrogen?)

Anecdotally I definitely feel a big pro metabolic effect from gin&tonic. (of course the carbon dioxide, sugar and quinine help)

I tend to also add a few drops of MB to the drink and it really does feel like an elixir.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Georgi, can you speak to the relative preferability of clear distilled alcohols like gin & vodka? Maybe raki too I guess?

I remember hearing Ray say the clear alcohols are better (maybe because they contain less estrogen?)

Anecdotally I definitely feel a big pro metabolic effect from gin&tonic. (of course the carbon dioxide, sugar and quinine help)

I tend to also add a few drops of MB to the drink and it really does feel like an elixir.

Beer is highly estrogenic due to its hops content but it also has brewer's yeast, which has a lot of nutrients and vitamins that may offset some of the estrogenic effects. I find that vitamin E, apigenin or naringenin completely block the estrogenic symptoms I get from beer but I try not to indulge in it more than a few times weekly. Wine is only slightly less estrogenic than beer despite the absence of hops. This is due to the resveratrol and other estrogenic flavonoids in wine. Clear spirits are the least estrogenic but since they have a lot more alcohol and no vitamins (unlike beer) that extra alcohol shits the redox balance strongly toward reduction. So, niacinamide/MB would probably be good countermeasures for strong spirits. Finally, the more alcoholic the drink the more it increases intestinal permeability and thus blood/liver endotoxin. So, keeping the intestine clean or loading up on saturated fat before/after drinking strong alcohol would be some good countermeasures.

mrchibbs

Beer is highly estrogenic due to its hops content but it also has brewer's yeast, which has a lot of nutrients and vitamins that may offset some of the estrogenic effects. I find that vitamin E, apigenin or naringenin completely block the estrogenic symptoms I get from beer but I try not to indulge in it more than a few times weekly. Wine is only slightly less estrogenic than beer despite the absence of hops. This is due to the resveratrol and other estrogenic flavonoids in wine. Clear spirits are the least estrogenic but since they have a lot more alcohol and no vitamins (unlike beer) that extra alcohol shits the redox balance strongly toward reduction. So, niacinamide/MB would probably be good countermeasures for strong spirits. Finally, the more alcoholic the drink the more it increases intestinal permeability and thus blood/liver endotoxin. So, keeping the intestine clean or loading up on saturated fat before/after drinking strong alcohol would be some good countermeasures.

I think Ray also mentioned fructose as protective against alcohol-induced liver damage. This made me think of how certain classic cocktails are probably very well balanced health-wise. A tequila sunrise for example seems like an ideal drink.

D9THmGU7lilSCZcx3ZldUhX6cgnMhul60kqogVYiX_nbFZ2SeQ3Ge5h3mung5fP6b-T9hDrsiJkMIJ-gynoB=s640-c-rj-v1-e365

OP
R

rei

Clear spirits are the least estrogenic but since they have a lot more alcohol and no vitamins (unlike beer) that extra alcohol shits the redox balance strongly toward reduction.

From my experience over the past one and a half years i think reductive balance might be needed to break down chronic injury, calcification etc. to allow rebuilding to happen once the balance resumes. It has been a long journey but alcohol has constantly accelerated the process of correcting my chronic postural damage. Alternatively all the benefit might be from alcohol's increase in testosterone or other beneficial hormonal action, which would be supported by similar effect i found from progesterone and cholesterol supplementation.

But the key is to not drink too much and get drunk. A shot of vodka every other hour was enough to get all benefits and no negatives. As my digestion has doubled in speed also my tolerance for beer has significantly gone up, previously it would cause "systemic inflammation" like runny nose etc. and digestive issues/diarrhea when consumed in large amount, nowadays only slight loose stool.

paymanz

so beer without hops is not estrogenic? its not very hard to make beer at home! and you produce a lot of brew yeast as a by product!

ddjd

I find that vitamin E, apigenin or naringenin completely block the estrogenic symptoms I get from beer but I try not to indulge in it more than a few times weekly. Wine is only slightly less estrogenic than beer despite the absence of hops. This is due to the resveratrol and other estrogenic flavonoids in wine. Clear spirits are the least estrogenic but since they have a lot more alcohol and no vitamins (unlike beer) that extra alcohol shits the redox balance strongly toward reduction.
interesting because i also find your idealabs melanon product (naringenin and apigenin) completely stops the estrogenic symptomns from beer. is it because of its effect on endotoxin?

out of interest @haidut , youve discussed your ANF/BZF being an incredibly strong aromatase inhibitor. does that also completely block the estrogenic symptoms you get from beer, and to a more or lesser extent compared to naringenin?

ddjd

View: https://twitter.com/historyinmemes/status/1737862960272298274?t=IkFAvj8e4ezEmiiZg9jyzQ&s=19

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals