Life and Culture in Latin America?

Logan-

I know “Latin America” is big and diverse, but it seems to be a different and interesting part of the world.

Ray Peat spends a lot of time in Mexico, he has talked and written about life and culture in Latin America positively in various contexts.

I sometimes think about learning Spanish very well by myself, and maybe go to Latin America, at least to travel and see how it is. Uruguay, for example, seems like a peaceful, civilized, beautiful, good place.

Life, society, and culture(s) in Latin America, and moving to Latin America has been discussed in this forum many times, but I think it deserves its own thread.

What do you think? Let’s get deeper into this, like how are interrelationships, the way people communicate with each other, how they form relationships with each other, how they behave towards others (like, how people act in traffic can also be a meaningful thing to look at)…

The Pros and Cons of living in Latin America.

What are the best places to live?

The economy; acceptance of foreigners; work opportunities; rule of law; economic disparity (income inequality) in society; the influence of the hegemonic consumerist, postmodernist, neoliberal, nihilistic globalist culture upon the society; religiosity; bureaucracy; history; politics, and many other important parameters to look at.

OP
L

Logan-

OP
L

Logan-

B

Braveheart

Bro, you are not ready!...all those questions about life here...sounds like you just want to replicate your current thing...this is another world from up north and that is the beauty...life here is good, more simple, more real, more down to earth...don't be afraid, just jump in, be adventurous. No insurance, no protection, less rules and regulations. You totally rely on your own ingenuity and that will make you strong, you will be surprised...you might become a better person?...change is growth.....

OP
L

Logan-

Firstly the reason Ray only goes as as far as Mexico is because since 9/11 he will not fly due to police and x rays and only will travel by car, train or boat and because the Pan American highway stops and is near impassible to get right down into South America etc.

Ray recently said that the tourist spots are the best to live because there is less xenophobia and easier to blend in and why places like San Miguel are good.

I listen to Barry Cooper from never get busted. He was a top drug law inforcer in Texas but fled to Venezuela then Brazil, then lived in Mexico and now lives in the Philippines. He said he felt safer in Mexico than in the US. He said cops cannot raid your home in Mexico and everything is safe aslong as one stays out of the drug trade.

For people who want to buy property and want high altitude, La Paz Bolivia may be an option because foreigners are allowed to own property and it comes with a visa.

Remember that there are English teaching jobs in these countries for people who don’t have an online business.

I admire anyone who does it and hope your fortunes are better than that of Butch and Sundance.

OP
L

Logan-