Life After Google: The Fall of Big Data and the Rise of the Blockchain Economy by George Gilder

PTP

I can't recommend this book yet because I only started it recently, but I see many parallels with Ray's thinking. He even starts off the book with a discussion about analog vs. digital effects in the film industry, and the section I'm on right now is criticising AI for trying to replicate the human brain as if the brain was like a computer: "...the study of actual brains, which turn out [to] be much more like sensory processors than logic machines".

He also has a new book called "Gaming AI: Why AI can't think but can transform jobs". Which I haven't read, but I imagine continues in a similar vein critiquing the notion of AI as anything like human analog intelligence.

amd

Digital currencies and block-chain is about replacing paper money.

Governments can bring their own version at any time and outlaw everything else.

Then they will be able to tax everything as they like.

Politicians are not the brightest, they only care about what they think we owe them, even if they destroy the economy and the US dollar (lockdowns are an example).

tankasnowgod

Yeah, and paper money was all about replacing gold and silver. And, of course, paper money (especially centralized) is easier to counterfeit. At least some digital currencies like bitcoin are more transparent in their ledger system.
Like they already did with central banks several decades (or centuries) ago?
Like when the IRS came into being in 1913?

OP
P

PTP

Thanks for the post, this was exactly what I was looking for!
You're welcome :)

Thanks. Reading it now.
Cool, let me know what you think.

Politicians are not the brightest, they only care about what they think we owe them, even if they destroy the economy and the US dollar (lockdowns are an example).
Maybe, but crypto is global, politicians across the world would have to act in concert at a time when they can't keep the electricity on in their own backyards. A ban would probably incentivise some countries to attract wealthy crypto holders by making it easier for them to relocate. Anyway, I haven't read enough of the book to make a fair response, it might not really be about crypto that much, more about blockchain as a ledger technology.

tankasnowgod

Maybe, but crypto is global, politicians across the world would have to act in concert at a time when they can't keep the electricity on in their own backyards. A ban would probably incentivise some countries to attract wealthy crypto holders by making it easier for them to relocate.

They couldn't really "ban" crypto at this point, anymore than they can destroy gold or silver, but again, they don't need to. There are always choke points, and the big ones in crypto are the exchanges, and maybe also the bigger mining companies. They could go after them directly (through things like regulation of exchanges and payments), or indirectly (say, rationing electricity near big mining efforts, or manipulating price of electricity, or what have you). After Bitcoin went up to almost $20,000 in 2017, it didn't go anywhere near zero in the bear market, but dropping down to $3,300 was enough have many lose interest, and if you brought in around $18,000 and sold later around $8,000, well, you still lost money. And some people certainly did that.

Gilder book is crap. Usual puffery and rambling and fails to pay off on the promise.

But...this book is amazing and you should read it if you have any interest in the future. This book is absolutely mind boggling

Blockchain Bubble or Revolution: The Future of Bitcoin, Blockchains, and Cryptocurrencies Kindle Edition

by Neel Mehta (Author), Aditya Agashe (Author), Parth Detroj

it is NOT dumbed down either. There are some pseudo code examples and technical stuff but it is for the layperson who is smart. I cannot recommend this book highly enough. READ IT.

OP
P

PTP

Gilder book is crap. Usual puffery and rambling and fails to pay off on the promise.

But...this book is amazing and you should read it if you have any interest in the future. This book is absolutely mind boggling

Blockchain Bubble or Revolution: The Future of Bitcoin, Blockchains, and Cryptocurrencies Kindle Edition

by Neel Mehta (Author), Aditya Agashe (Author), Parth Detroj

it is NOT dumbed down either. There are some pseudo code examples and technical stuff but it is for the layperson who is smart. I cannot recommend this book highly enough. READ IT.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check it out. I liked the Gilder book, but you're probably right, there wasn't much vision of a 'blockchain economy' of the future, it was more theoretical and grand picture this should be good for us theorising.

P

Peatness

Digital ID & The Great Reset Exposed with Alison McDowell + Brendan D. Murphy​

View: https://www.bitchute.com/video/n7ymWzYr4kkz/

I posted this article elsewhere, I think its worth linking here

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom