Licorice and Insomnia

Andy316

Does anybody know how to get around this? Licorice tea (2g licorice per tea bag) gives my low BP a nice boost with clearer mind. But Nightime just can't fall asleep.

FitnessMike

Does anybody know how to get around this? Licorice tea (2g licorice per tea bag) gives my low BP a nice boost with clearer mind. But Nightime just can't fall asleep.
try using less salt? and only licorice in the am?, i had this problem for long time with powdered licorice, then later on i tried tincture in the am and it isnt a problem no more, you could try rehmannia root tincture its good too

OP
A

Andy316

try using less salt? and only licorice in the am?, i had this problem for long time with powdered licorice, then later on i tried tincture in the am and it isnt a problem no more, you could try rehmannia root tincture its good too

Thanks. I don't add any salt and I have it in the morning around 7am before breakfast.

OP
A

Andy316

Does Licorice drop potassium or phosphorus? Is insomnia because of these dropping low?

FitnessMike

Does Licorice drop potassium or phosphorus? Is insomnia because of these dropping low?
i think its lowering potassium by retaining sodium, as an active compound imitate aldosterone.

OP
A

Andy316

You can’t sleep because it’s boosting cortisol?
Ya it definately boosted my cortisol alright which I wanted since Im low but may have dropped potassium sightly. Time to have some extra Coconut water and potatoes tonight.

FitnessMike

ddjd

It's 100% cortisol. Licorice agonises one of the key cortisol producing enzymes

OP
A

Andy316

It's 100% cortisol. Licorice agonises one of the key cortisol producing enzymes
Ya i have low cortisol issues, grapfruit juice helped but licorice definately feels more potent.

ddjd

Ya i have low cortisol issues, grapfruit juice helped but licorice definately feels more potent.
I would be really careful with raising your cortisol. imo the risks outweigh the potential benefits

JohnHafterson

Can confirm cortisol increase from licorice supplements or tea.

I'm a Type 1 Diabetic and my blood sugar rises everytime I've experimented with licorice tea/supps.

I keep my insulin doses and food intake fixed so am able to pinpoint effects of supps on blood sugar and insulin sensitivity reliably

A slight euphoria and body temp increase as well - likely from cortisol increase or licorice ability to stop cortisol from being broken down.

OP
A

Andy316

Can confirm cortisol increase from licorice supplements or tea.

I'm a Type 1 Diabetic and my blood sugar rises everytime I've experimented with licorice tea/supps.

I keep my insulin doses and food intake fixed so am able to pinpoint effects of supps on blood sugar and insulin sensitivity reliably

A slight euphoria and body temp increase as well - likely from cortisol increase or licorice ability to stop cortisol from being broken down.
Ya same effects. But did you get insomnia from Licorice tea?

JohnHafterson

Ya same effects. But did you get insomnia from Licorice tea?
Can't remember been about 7 years - but anything which increases cortisol can disrupt sleep. Well known side effects of prednisone, hyrodcortisne, etc are trouble sleeping.

Maybe try lowering dose or taking earlier in the day.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals