Levothyroxine Causing Hairloss

aquaman

Most people judge “hair loss” by the amount of hairs they find on their brush. Shedding is not the same as hair loss. So anecdotal reports of hair loss on the internet normally means shedding

OP
Arrade

Arrade

Most people judge “hair loss” by the amount of hairs they find on their brush. Shedding is not the same as hair loss. So anecdotal reports of hair loss on the internet normally means shedding
I don’t shed I just have hairline recession

Sexypizza

I can confirm that T4 does indeed cause hairloss when taken as one big daily dose.

whenever I do that I start shedding hair in random areas around my body. Last time it happened I started losing my beard, leg hair and pubic hair. The hairloss seems to be always reversible though as it always grows back when you stop taking the T4 or change the dosing.

I've noticed that if I T4 in smaller doses throughout the day as opposed to one big daily dose on an empty stomach the hairloss stops and starts growing back slowly.

Besides hairloss there are other symptoms I experienced when taking one big daily dose. like my heart rate would increase substantially whenever I stand up and I would have an arrythmia at times but those are all gone too now.

I can confirm that T4 does indeed cause hairloss when taken as one big daily dose.

whenever I do that I start shedding hair in random areas around my body. Last time it happened I started losing my beard, leg hair and pubic hair. The hairloss seems to be always reversible though as it always grows back when you stop taking the T4 or change the dosing.

That’s awesome!! What was your daily dosing schedule like? I too have lost hair all over my body and would like it back!

OP
Arrade

Arrade

I never got hairloss all over the body, strange

Lucas

This is what syntroid did to my hair

Attachments

• 20180819_214754.jpg
    20180819_214754.jpg
    291.6 KB · Views: 51

Luckytype

Thanks for sharing, gonna make a supposition that it sped up mpb

Thyroid is an accelerator, a gas pedal. With absolutely no context and no objective information regarding Lucas' nutritional or metabolic and hormonal issues its a wiser choice to assume preexisting issues not explicitely titled "mpb" were augmented by using thyroid.

Or perhaps he was a poor converter and his energy state was lowered..

Last edited:

Sexypizza

That’s awesome!! What was your daily dosing schedule like? I too have lost hair all over my body and would like it back!

I'm taking 150mcg of T4 and 50mcg of T3

I generally split the T4 into 6 pieces so 25mcg each and I start taking them starting from breakfast, always a few hours apart from each other, always taking it with a meal helps I think. The T3 I try to take no more than 6mcg at a time but usually less than that.

The hairloss took several months to grow back again. it seems like the rate of growth depends on the location of the hair, the hair on different parts of the body have different lifespans. The ones with the shortest span grow back first like eyebrows in my case, my beard took a bit longer but the hair on my legs took a very long time infact it's still not done growing back to some extent. but other areas are back to normal pretty much.

I have emails with ray and he said that he personally takes 5mcg of T3 at a time with milk and cheese. I think he recommends to always take thyroid with meals.

In one of his emails he said "if you take 25 or 50 mcg in a single daily dose (T4), the liver will experience a momentary toxic overdose, and over a period of a week or two will adapt its detoxification enzymes to destroy it, with the result that the body will be extremely deficient in thyroid most of the day, with a short period of toxic excess."

OP
Arrade

Arrade

Thyroid is an accelerator, a gas pedal. With absolutely no context and no objective information regarding Lucas' nutritional or metabolic and hormonal issues its a wiser to assume preexisting issues not explicitely titles "mpb" were augmented by using thyroid.

Or perhaps he was a poor converter and his energy state was lowered..
I know what the thyroid does, I wasn’t a poor converter and it was causing me hairloss.
Are you aware of the calcitonin hormone of the thyroid? It affects blood levels of calcium and prevents bone resorption.

By taking T4 or T3 you are suppressing the parathyroid-antagonizing hormone calcitonin which would lead to soft tissue calcification and intercellular aging.

I don’t disagree that improving the metabolism and required energy of the body would ask for more nutrients, zinc being a big concern.

Luckytype

I know what the thyroid does, I wasn’t a poor converter and it was causing me hairloss.
Are you aware of the calcitonin hormone of the thyroid? It affects blood levels of calcium and prevents bone resorption.

By taking T4 or T3 you are suppressing the parathyroid-antagonizing hormone calcitonin which would lead to soft tissue calcification and intercellular aging.

I don’t disagree that improving the metabolism and required energy of the body would ask for more nutrients, zinc being a big concern.

Ok great, so youve eliminated one thing in your own case - youre a good converter. What does the estrogen burden on your body look like for example?

Are you familiar with what certain monotherapies do in cases of androgen related utilization and mobilization?

OP
Arrade

Arrade

Ok great, so youve eliminated one thing in your own case - youre a good converter. What does the estrogen burden on your body look like for example?

Are you familiar with what certain monotherapies do in cases of androgen related utilization and mobilization?
You’re using a lot of technical jargon, I’m not sure what monotherapies you’re alluding to.

I think I had high estrogen from the T4, I didn’t have problems with my estro prior to it’s utilization

I'm taking 150mcg of T4 and 50mcg of T3

I generally split the T4 into 6 pieces so 25mcg each and I start taking them starting from breakfast, always a few hours apart from each other, always taking it with a meal helps I think. The T3 I try to take no more than 6mcg at a time but usually less than that.

The hairloss took several months to grow back again. it seems like the rate of growth depends on the location of the hair, the hair on different parts of the body have different lifespans. The ones with the shortest span grow back first like eyebrows in my case, my beard took a bit longer but the hair on my legs took a very long time infact it's still not done growing back to some extent. but other areas are back to normal pretty much.

I have emails with ray and he said that he personally takes 5mcg of T3 at a time with milk and cheese. I think he recommends to always take thyroid with meals.

In one of his emails he said "if you take 25 or 50 mcg in a single daily dose (T4), the liver will experience a momentary toxic overdose, and over a period of a week or two will adapt its detoxification enzymes to destroy it, with the result that the body will be extremely deficient in thyroid most of the day, with a short period of toxic excess."
I’m not sure I will be able to divide my 100 mcg of Levoxyl into 6 pieces but I will give it a try. My Endo has always assured me that taking a whole week’s dosage in one day is acceptable (in fact this is done, he claims, in third world countries with lack of supplies). I take 550 mcg per week and he has me taking 100 mcg for 5 days and 50 mcg on the 6th day! Taking 75 mcg/day would have made more sense to me but as only a nurse, what do I know?? Thanks for sharing. I have struggled with this drug too many years. It has made my life miserable and yet the Endo blames all of my continued hypo symptoms on other non-thyroid reasons since my TSH usually runs .07 or lower. Ft4 at normal levels and he refuses to test rt3 or prescribe T3. He always reminds me to take the drug on an empty stomach as well. This drug has made me highly estrogenic, too. Well...I hope this new dosing schedule helps me to grow my hair back or at least slow down the loss.

OP
Arrade

Arrade

I’m not sure I will be able to divide my 100 mcg of Levoxyl into 6 pieces but I will give it a try. My Endo has always assured me that taking a whole week’s dosage in one day is acceptable (in fact this is done, he claims, in third world countries with lack of supplies). I take 550 mcg per week and he has me taking 100 mcg for 5 days and 50 mcg on the 6th day! Taking 75 mcg/day would have made more sense to me but as only a nurse, what do I know?? Thanks for sharing. I have struggled with this drug too many years. It has made my life miserable and yet the Endo blames all of my continued hypo symptoms on other non-thyroid reasons since my TSH usually runs .07 or lower. Ft4 at normal levels and he refuses to test rt3 or prescribe T3. He always reminds me to take the drug on an empty stomach as well. This drug has made me highly estrogenic, too. Well...I hope this new dosing schedule helps me to grow my hair back or at least slow down the loss.
Okay that confirms the drug made me estrogenic as well.
Have you tried going off the meds? Your situation sounds terrible and at least I feel better off of them

Luckytype

You’re using a lot of technical jargon, I’m not sure what monotherapies you’re alluding to.

I think I had high estrogen from the T4, I didn’t have problems with my estro prior to it’s utilization
My bad, do you have objective markers that your E was high?

@Albina, why dont you just nibble the amount youre prescribed in a day at certain times. In this case it wouldnt need to be precise so long as you get your daily amount each day. Always remember: each persons individual physiology at that moment in time influences how they respond to certain protocols

That said, i would be willing to bet a small amount of t3 with your t4 doses could make you feel a whole lot better.

The mere fact this end refuses to test tells me something is up. He either doesnt want to manage it, fears being wrong(or fears you being right), or is afraid to say he doesnt know.
Treating only TSH is completely irresponsible as it does not tell anything about conversion and whats able to get into cells.

You as a nurse know that is absolutley no way to go about providing care to people who need the help.

Last edited:

@Albina, why dont you just nibble the amount youre prescribed in a day at certain times. In this case it wouldnt need to be precise so long as you get your daily amount each day. Always remember: each persons individual physiology at that moment in time influences how they respond to certain protocols

That said, i would be willing to bet a small amount of t3 with your t4 doses could make you feel a whole lot better.

The mere fact he refuses to test tells me somehing is up. He either doesnt want to manage it, fears being wrong(or fears you being right), or is afraid to say he doesnt know. You as a nurse know that is absolutley no way to go about providing care to people who need the help.
@Luckytype, I could try the nibbling but this formulation is very soft and will just melt in my mouth. I’m guessing that shouldn’t be a problem with absorption happening in the mouth rather than the stomach? I could just retest after 6 weeks of the nibbling to see if my labs worsen. I believe the problem with the Endo is his msm training and lack of interest in treating basic thyroid disease. Uncontrolled diabetes is apparently more exciting and lucrative. My daughter has been hypothyroid since age 7 and on levothyroxine since diagnosis. She is 5’0”, approx 225#, size 40 F bra size but her TSH is ‘normal’ on meds. She is obviously very estrogenic, had 2 miscarriages blamed on low progesterone, and her Endo (not mine) refuses to consider anything other than calories in/calories out! I feel so sad for her. She is 31 and has never felt well. Unfortunately, she is still a believer in msm and the ‘Peat’ approach would require too much work with an 18 mo. Old.

@Arrade - I’ve never gone off levothyroxine as I have very little thyroid tissue left (told it was destroyed by the Hashimoto’s).

OP
Arrade

Arrade

The mere fact he refuses to test tells me somehing is up. He either doesnt want to manage it, fears being wrong(or fears you being right), or is afraid to say he doesnt know. You as a nurse know that is absolutley no way to go about providing care to people who need the help.
No I had not checked, but after taking aromatising compunds, AIs, and SERMS and months of experience with symptoms of too high or too low I think I have a pretty good feel of elevated estrogen. I definitely gained weight on levothyroxine with no change in diet or exercise -

How does on plan to overcome the gaps in T1, T2, and Calcitonin with just T4 and T3? Though T3 helps with osteoporisis factors I'm not aware of it converting into calcitonin.

You realize the detumescence therapy you claim regrew your hair is to break up the calcium deposits under the scalp, correct? And yet you advise to suppress the hormone that opposes the parathyroid and prevents excess calcium blood levels - calcitonin.

I feel way better 1.5 weeks off synthetic T4. I can't speak for T3 supplementation experience but my Free T3 was in good range so I wasn't sure there was a need.
I can understand adding T3 as an improvement because your body isn't supposed to rely simply on conversion.
In terms of optimal health and hair I'm not sure it's wise to suppress Calcitonin

@Albina if you TSH is lower than .4 that's hyperthyroid. On top of that I would try to get another doctor or go to a private lab tester like LabCorp and get the necessary blood work done.

If you could handle it I would go off the meds myself, I was on that dose of 100 mcg and still had energy, much better than elevated estrogen and natural hormone suppression.

OP
Arrade

Arrade

That's strange because I was prescribed even more meds than you 137 mcg levothyroxine. Maybe it's a receptor thing but it strikes me odd you take a lower dose.
Btw the half life of levothyroxine the active ingredient is 5-7 days, meaning it reaches 50% concentration in the blood by a week of abstinence.
Typically takes 6 weeks to build even blood levels, or at least whatever requirement necessary to get good tests.

That's very sad what you said about your daughter, I highly suspect now that it's the levothyroxine causing it.
I would try the fixing my thyroid disorder and going off -
Methods to fix it being the iodine protocol, supplementation

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals