Levothyroxine Causing Hairloss

Arrade

Hello. I want to share that levothyroxine causes hairloss (the generic form of the drug).
The inactive ingredients are toxic to most and cause chronic inflammation (likely the micro cellulose).

DANGERS OF MICROCRYSTALLINE CELLULOSE, FILLER IN PHARMACEUTICALS | Integrative Holistic Health

Included is a list of the inactive ingredients.

Didn't realize this was my issue until my doctor told me 60% of her patients get hairloss from the drug.
I am now trying Tirosint which has no fillers.

Do not take that drug if you can afford Tirosint. Armour also has fillers now.
Good luck guys, still trying for regrowth :mrgreen:

Attachments

• Full-inactive-ingredient-list-of-levothyroxine.png
    Full-inactive-ingredient-list-of-levothyroxine.png
    8.4 KB · Views: 28

jitsmonkey

60% of your doctor's patients get hair loss from this drug because your doctor is an imbecile

Hello. I want to share that levothyroxine causes hairloss (the generic form of the drug).
The inactive ingredients are toxic to most and cause chronic inflammation (likely the micro cellulose).

DANGERS OF MICROCRYSTALLINE CELLULOSE, FILLER IN PHARMACEUTICALS | Integrative Holistic Health

Included is a list of the inactive ingredients.

Didn't realize this was my issue until my doctor told me 60% of her patients get hairloss from the drug.
I am now trying Tirosint which has no fillers.

Do not take that drug if you can afford Tirosint. Armour also has fillers now.
Good luck guys, still trying for regrowth :mrgreen:
I have definitely experienced hair loss from Levoxyl (levothyroxine). Tried Tirosint but the same dose was too strong. Also heard from family/friends on Tirosint that they still experienced hair loss. Keep us posted on your experience.

OP
Arrade

Arrade

I have definitely experienced hair loss from Levoxyl (levothyroxine). Tried Tirosint but the same dose was too strong. Also heard from family/friends on Tirosint that they still experienced hair loss. Keep us posted on your experience.
Oh really? I was concerned that maybe T4 itself was issue.
Yeah my doctor lowered the dose. Gluten itself is in levothyroxine so it has fillers that make it weaker.
What are you doing for your thyroid atm?

boxers

Been taking levo. for years, no problems.
Im sure the fillers have nothing to do with hair loss. More likely to do with creating further imbalance

Yeah my doctor lowered the dose. Gluten itself is in levothyroxine so it has fillers that make it weaker.
What are you doing for your thyroid atm?
What are you doing for your thyroid atm?[/QUOTE

You’re right about the gluten. I read somewhere that the microcrystalline cellulose contains gluten but there is a generic from Lannet that supposedly is certified gluten-free. I’m taking Levoxyl for Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis. I would agree with @boxers that the hair loss is probably due to an imbalance in something.

ddjd

Of course T4 only will cause hair loss! What do you expect

sweetpeat

I've had only positive results on my hair from taking levothyroxine. I'm female but I used to get seasonal hair shedding for years. Since getting my total t4 to around 9 ug/dL (on a reference range of 4.5-12.0) I no longer experience the shedding. I use the levo from Mexico so I don't know what kind of fillers they use. Probably about the same as anywhere else.

I set my own dosage and get my own lab work. I doubt a doctor would prescribe me the dosage I need because my TSH is very low with the amount I take. My guess is that your doctor prescribes mostly based on TSH levels rather than signs/symptoms, and that 60% of her patients are still hypothyroid in spite of her treatment.

OP
Arrade

Arrade

Been taking levo. for years, no problems.
Im sure the fillers have nothing to do with hair loss. More likely to do with creating further imbalance
What imbalance are you speaking of?
Btw I had most of my vitamins checked and all are within range, Vit D to Iron.
Besides hairloss I was getting joint pain and feeling less confident (even from the first dose)

I feel somewhat better today on tirosint, though now I am concerned that it will cause hairloss. I have to wait another 5 days before the levothyroxine is halved in my system and see if it was the fillers causing issues

OP
Arrade

Arrade

@boxers what form of levo, what country are you in? What fillers?
I had 1.8 TSH from levo and was still experiencing hairloss.

My doctor said 60% of patients, that may have to do with being able to create an enzyme to deal with the cellulose. Could be anything

OP
Arrade

Arrade

@Albina why not try the tirosint in a lower dose? I have to say I think I feel better

@Albina why not try the tirosint in a lower dose? I have to say I think I feel better
I was given samples of Tirosint and after a few days on them, I felt terrible...headaches, nausea, and elevated heart rate. I then switched back to the Levoxyl. It wasn’t until I did some reading on Tirosint that I realized I probably needed a lower dose. By that time I had already purchased a 90 day supply of Levoxyl. I now have new insurance and it will not cover the Tirosint. Looking forward to your update on the drug and any improvements in hair or other symptoms.

OP
Arrade

Arrade

I was given samples of Tirosint and after a few days on them, I felt terrible...headaches, nausea, and elevated heart rate. I then switched back to the Levoxyl. It wasn’t until I did some reading on Tirosint that I realized I probably needed a lower dose. By that time I had already purchased a 90 day supply of Levoxyl. I now have new insurance and it will not cover the Tirosint. Looking forward to your update on the drug and any improvements in hair or other symptoms.
Will do, it’s only been one day. Still losing hair but that could be the old levo still being in my system

OP
Arrade

Arrade

There’s several supplements I want to try, my friend lowered his tsh from 8-3 from these things a Ray Peat female user has been sending.
Now I’m not confident that Tirosint will fix my hair, so I have to get on supps to fix my thyroid

belcanto

I had massive hair loss from an increased Synthroid dosage, followed by fasciculations (irritating calf muscle movements) that would wake me up! I did some research and found out that fasciculations are a side effect of Synthroid, not to mention hair loss.

I went to a local doctor who prescribes NatureThroid; turns out his business is hair restoration, starting with getting my T3 up to 5. What a relief!

OP
Arrade

Arrade

I had massive hair loss from an increased Synthroid dosage, followed by fasciculations (irritating calf muscle movements) that would wake me up! I did some research and found out that fasciculations are a side effect of Synthroid, not to mention hair loss.

I went to a local doctor who prescribes NatureThroid; turns out his business is hair restoration, starting with getting my T3 up to 5. What a relief!
Have you regrown hair? How long have you been on?

I was interested in NatureThroid, it would be out of network for me

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals