Leucine In Milk

tara

At a 15 sec scan of that page, it looks as though he recommends eating lots of soy, too, and not much animal protein. Do you have reasons to think he bases his recommendations on anything solid? Have you worked out why he says to minimise leucine, and whether there is any substance to the claim? He also seems to refer to the studies on methionine restriction, which Peat has referred to too, and perhaps they agree that too much methionine is problematic. Most of us are here to learn about Peat's ideas, not this guy's, so that might be why you are not getting much response.

Zachs

That guy is the king of cherry picking studies to support his veganism. He claims all saturated fat including coconut oil is bad for you, he claims that nuts in any amount is basically a wonder supplement, etc etc.

OP
L

Lance12

Most of us are here to learn about Peat's ideas, not this guy's, so that might be why you are not getting much response.

I'm here to look at Peat's idea too, and I currently follow his advice. I just like to wonder why people have difference of opinion. If the answer is so clear to everyone about dietary advice, why is there so much contradicting information? I just like to know the truth. It's also hard for a layperson like me to understand because a lot of people have so called science to backup all their claims. Who am I to know what is right? the only thing I'm able to do is experiment for myself, and that means asking questions and trying different things, and I'm not about to wait years to see that I made the wrong decision. Just like Dr. Atkins, everyone that he was the king guy for weight loss and he died of a heart attack.

That guy is the king of cherry picking studies to support his veganism. He claims all saturated fat including coconut oil is bad for you, he claims that nuts in any amount is basically a wonder supplement, etc etc.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

tara

Lance12 said:
It's also hard for a layperson like me to understand because a lot of people have so called science to backup all their claims. Who am I to know what is right?
I recognise this too - I'm a lay person too, trying to figure out what will work.
Nothing wrong with wondering and asking.
I just meant that on this forum, posters may not make it a priority to study all the competing theories - and explain them all through a Peaty lens - there are so many of them, with various amounts of substance behind them, and we are mainly here to learn about and discuss Peat's ideas.

Travis

Well: I think anyone who still thinks that saturated fats are detrimental obviously isn't very sophisticated, but I do think he could be right about leucine (though I hadn't watched the video). Not many foods are particularly unbalanced in this, and a few plant foods are actually the biggest offenders (i.e. corn, sorghum). Leucine has almost hormonal effects through the mTOR pathway; this is characterized by a sensitive, specific, and responsive leucine-binding protein called sestrin-2. But leucine can also be a good thing, should a person desire to rapidly gain strength; the genetic shift induced in the nucleus by a high leucine∶ΣCAA ratio increases de novo steroidogenesis and transcribes for muscle proteins. Leucine is certainly unique among the amino acids in its powerful, and almost hormone-like effects—very likely second only to methionine in its ability to maintain the high rate of proliferation characteristic of cancer cells (although it doesn't appear to have the 'mutagenic effects' of methionine, or perhaps even arginine (ṄO), and probably cannot induce cancer that wouldn't otherwise have occurred).

Obi-wan

I like Travis's ideas. You might want to follow him. He's pretty cool also!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals