Let's Stop Pretending

Ismail

Guy of Lusignan had such desire for Sibylla, Queen of Jerusalem, that she chose him over lords of greater houses as the successor to the Kingdom of Jerusalem. Locked in conflict with Salah ad-Din, the nobles of the High Court commanded a divorce, agreed to by Sibylla but with a caveat that the Queen could once again choose her own husband. Once divorced with Guy, she then once again chose him to be her husband against the wishes of her brother King Baldwin IV and all the nobles at court.

Guy usurped the throne and eventually fell to capture by Salah ad-Din. Sibylla abandoned her kingdom to be with her lover amidst the enemy and would later die there from sickness, all as her kingdom crumbled around her.
"Kingdom of Heaven" - was this film based loosely upon the above historical events?

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

"Kingdom of Heaven" - was this film based loosely upon the above historical events?
Yes, but the adaptation isn't accurate.

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

Thanks bud, it usually never is accurate with films.
No problem. In college, I spent a great deal of time in the Medieval Studies department, and my professor, Michael Peixoto, knew personally the consultant for Kingdom of Heaven. It's a small community, and I'm not exactly sure as to why Hollywood doesn't adapt the historical accuracy: maybe they think Americans do well with simplistic narratives?

Ismail

No problem. In college, I spent a great deal of time in the Medieval Studies department, and my professor, Michael Peixoto, knew personally the consultant for Kingdom of Heaven. It's a small community, and I'm not exactly sure as to why Hollywood doesn't adapt the historical accuracy: maybe they think Americans do well with simplistic narratives?
Wow, small world indeed!

I’ve wondered the same thing too, can only surmise it has something to do with making the “story” more appealing and hence higher ROI I guess 🤷‍♂️

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals