Less Expensive Gelatine? (collagen Hydrolysate)

Nstocks

Hello,

In search of a protein supplement, it seem that the only useful options are those from great lakes. I don't do very well with the gelatine (red tin) but the collagen hydrolysate works fine for my digestion.

At £28 per tin it's impossible for me to buy this more than once every 6 weeks or so. Does anybody know of a similarly easy to digest protein but for a lot less money? (no dairy, unless it's goat derived)

Thanks!

J

j.

When I used now foods gelatin, I think sometimes I could smell the plastic. Maybe it's estrogenic. Great Lakes containers seem better.

OP
N

Nstocks

Kasper said:
Interested in this at well. You could try this one: http://www.amazon.com/NOW-Foods-Beef-Ge ... B000MGR302

It is supposed to be able to mix in cold drinks. I haven't tested it. And what about goat milk ? Too expensive ?

In the UK, Now foods gelatine works out way more expensive than Great Lakes! http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beef-Gelatin-Un ... ds+gelatin

GL is a lot cheaper in the US, but nobody ships internationally without adding $40 shipping plus tax which negates any savings.

I drink goat milk most days which provides 30g protein per litre and also eat goat yogurt but it's not enough to get adequate protein (trying to build muscle and struggle to get more than 60g in most days. I also find that too many liquids adds about 10 inches to my stomach (bloating) :(

Canned Tuna is a quick source but again, it's not enough. (100g contains 0.5g fat - I'm not worried about that),

J

j.

Nstocks said:
GL is a lot cheaper in the US, but nobody ships internationally without adding $40 shipping plus tax which negates any savings.

Even iHerb?

Kasper

2l of goat milk give 70 gram of protein btw

Iherb has quite cheap shipping to the netherlands, I would think that UK is similar

OP
N

Nstocks

Kasper said:
2l of goat milk give 70 gram of protein btw

Iherb has quite cheap shipping to the netherlands, I would think that UK is similar

Full fat, according to the carton provides 28g protein per litre... I'm ordering raw organic goat milk anyway, so there's probably more! My acne is getting worse, so I think yogurt is out for now :( (lactic acid can be inflammatory, even though I strain a lot of the whey off)

iHerb sell GL, but apparently it can't be shipped to the UK!!! (even though that's where it all comes from)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-05-09 at 13.29.49.png
    Screen Shot 2014-05-09 at 13.29.49.png
    114.7 KB · Views: 725
J

j.

Nstocks said:
iHerb sell GL, but apparently it can't be shipped to the UK!!!

It seems it kinda sucks to live in that police state.

OP
N

Nstocks

j. said:
Nstocks said:
iHerb sell GL, but apparently it can't be shipped to the UK!!!

It seems it kinda sucks to live in that police state.

It does :(. I don't understand why Amazon and another (more expensive) website can ship it, but as a consumer, I cannot. (well iHerb won't let me anyway...)

I guess the silver lining is that I have access to raw milk ;)

jyb

Nstocks said:
iHerb sell GL, but apparently it can't be shipped to the UK!!! (even though that's where it all comes from)

I wonder if its not a very recent trend with customs and animal products.

mt_dreams

Nstocks said:

I would try and confirm that the product cannot be shipped. I live in Canada, and was also told by customs that the great lakes gelatin could not be shipped into Canada. I ordered from iherb anyways, and thankfully enough, my packages have not had any issues. I contacted great lakes to see why the possible issues with customs, and they mentioned that the porcine (pork) gelatin has issues with being shipped to other countries, but the bovine (beef) gelatin varieties do not seem to have such problems (at least not for Canada). If this is the case as well in the UK, you would still be able to order the bovine varieties.

Regarding raw goat's milk, it would contain the same amount of protein as pasteurized would. The possible advantage to raw would be that the protein may be more bio-available, thus you would possibly utilize the protein more efficiently. I'm not sure where that goats milk company gets its protein numbers from, but the general consensus for protein in goats milk is 9 grams per cup, compared to 8 grams in whole cows milk per cup.

fyo

Sometimes you can buy beef tendon, or beef feet, particularly in ethnic grocers. Very high collagen/gelatin. You can simmer it for some hours and strain for a clarified collagen/gelatin that can be cut into cubes and added to anything.

johnsmith

Lately, Ive been getting hit with $15 duty fees everytime I order from iherb to Canada. Even when I order just one. Anyone know of cheaper options?? Bulk barn maybe? Gelatin is low fat and pufas get stored in the fat apparently so I doubt a lower quality gelatin would be much worse.

wine maker suppliers sell bags of collagen as a clarifier and it's much cheaper. I haven't used it but I've seen it advertised. Someone from South Africa here reported using it.