Less Beard Problem

Coderr

I'm 34 years old. My beards are very rare. My testosterone levels are normal. Is there anything I can do for bushy beards?

opethfeldt

I'm 34 years old. My beards are very rare. My testosterone levels are normal. Is there anything I can do for bushy beards?
Beard growth is driven more by DHT levels than testosterone. Perhaps your 5ar levels are low. You aren't taking any hair loss drugs, right?

Kingpinguin

No I dont

use minoxidil if you really want a beard. Its very effective imo. Probably the most effective way. Just google minoxidil and beard. I can vouche for its effect. You just have to put it on morning and evening everyday. But if you do that for 1 year you have a much thicker bigger beard. 3 months you’ll see hair appear on cheek spots you never thought you get any hair. Very effective and much safer than steroids. Obviously you want good T and DHT levels on top of that. But I’m skeptical those hormones are so involved in beard growth. I’ve seen people om steroids and DHT steroids who still didnt gain any beard growth as a side effect. And i personally tried proviron which is highly androgenic and didnt notice anything in the beard department. Minoxidil is the bomb if you’re truly want a beard.

I don't know all of the factors in beard growth, but I wish I did as of now. I can grow a beard pretty well, but it never connects very well with my mustache.

I don't consider this an issue, but it would be nice to have just the basics on what influences the growth patterns, thickness, coverage variables, frequency/rate, etc. I have always had thick eyebrows but I think they've gotten darker over time, much like my beard has become lighter in some spots (especially under the lip).

Don't mean to hijack, but just weighing in. I know hormones influence it, but like Ray says the environment can shape the genes which shapes the organism -- it isn't the other way around only. I believe anyone who just dishes out/might dish out the "genes" argument is going the cop out angle -- this is far too simplistic of how it really goes down most likely (regarding hair growth or anything about a person's characteristics/traits).

lvysaur

Beard growth is driven more by DHT levels than testosterone
Many high DHT people cannot grow beards at all, and vice versa.

Just look at the various androgen levels by race. It has nothing to do with raw levels, it has to do with genetic factors that interact with DHT.

opethfeldt

Many high DHT people cannot grow beards at all, and vice versa.

Just look at the various androgen levels by race. It has nothing to do with raw levels, it has to do with genetic factors that interact with DHT.
I assumed from the title of the thread that he once had more beard growth and it had lessened. Indeed, beard growth is largely genetic and also probably driven by pubertal DHT levels.

IVILA

I assumed from the title of the thread that he once had more beard growth and it had lessened. Indeed, beard growth is largely genetic and also probably driven by pubertal DHT levels.
most people's dht levels in puberty should be high enough. It doesn't make sense for it to be during puberty. Most men grow very thick beards when they get closer to 30 years old +

jaype

I've also seen people's beards fill in later into adulthood. Androgens are important but I'm inclined to believe it's more related to IGF-1, Dopamine and AR receptor sensitivity. I would love to have thick beard as well but don't want to use minoxidil on my face.

equipoise

I've also seen people's beards fill in later into adulthood. Androgens are important but I'm inclined to believe it's more related to IGF-1, Dopamine and AR receptor sensitivity. I would love to have thick beard as well but don't want to use minoxidil on my face.
Yeah fuccc minox on face. My mustache is seriously lacking, the rest of my beard is filled out and good density. I don't know whats up with mustache receptors, all males in my family have/had thick oldschool mustaches. What would be beneficial to try?

opethfeldt

most people's dht levels in puberty should be high enough. It doesn't make sense for it to be during puberty. Most men grow very thick beards when they get closer to 30 years old +
I think estrogen levels are also involved. This would explain the increase with age because estrogen goes up with age. I notice my beard growth improved a lot when my estrogen was high. Maybe through adrenal stimulation of DHEA>DHT.

jaype

Yeah fuccc minox on face. My mustache is seriously lacking, the rest of my beard is filled out and good density. I don't know whats up with mustache receptors, all males in my family have/had thick oldschool mustaches. What would be beneficial to t

I think estrogen levels are also involved. This would explain the increase with age because estrogen goes up with age. I notice my beard growth improved a lot when my estrogen was high. Maybe through adrenal stimulation of DHEA>DHT.
I think this is true.

IVILA

a lot of chubby/fat guys have thick beards, there's definitely correlation
no they don't.
I think the effect of dht gets stronger when you get older. Bone density also improves when someone gets past 25 years old. Think about it, a mans body becomes more mature as they get well into adulthood. It could be that the 5AR enzyme gets more effective. If you think about it, not too many men have thick beards at 20 or so. It's after 25-27 that most grow a thick beard at once. Unless you have Indian genetics and grow a beard at 19...

T

TheBeard

Minoxidil is what gave me the best beard gains.
However it came with side effects.

Wolf

Derma rolling with proper sanitary protocol, red light, and Peppermint Essential Oil diluted in Jojoba Oil have caused a decent amount of growth with zero side effects.
i was actually ******* up derma rolling for a while by not pressing and going slow. It’s interesting seeing the different hairs growth rates. Some will grow at 2x speed compared to the others. Generally the progression is skin patch -> vellus -> long vellus -> thin black -> thick black.
I’m the only one who has been able to grow my sides in my family thanks to this.
I’m almost tempted to try minoxidil just to see if it would work better but this slow and safe route is ok I guess.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals