Lemmy From Motorhead

marsaday

I have just finished reading the autobiography of Lemmy from the metal band Motorhead based in the UK.

The lead singer / guitar player was a big character and died just after christmas 2015. He had just turned 70 i think.

Now my question for everyone is why do you think this guy lived for so long ? 70 is possibly not that old BUT he abused his body more than many people.

This is a rough summary of how he lived:

Smoked from age 11, approx 60 per day as adult.
Drank whiskey and coke, approx 1 or 2 bottles per day.
Ate junk food mainly.
Went to bed in the early hours of the morning.
His drug was speed. He used huge amounts of it daily. He still used it in his last few years of poor health.

He had cancer when he died and had had a pace maker fitted a few years earlier. He also had type 2 diabetes. His last 3/4 years of life were not in good health, but he still carried on performing.

Many of his friends had died much earlier from heart / stroke issues. He kept going until 70. His veins/arteries were also splitting in two and so blood was leaking into the surrounding tissues (can't remember the technical name for this problem).

He famously had some blood tests done in his 40's and the doc said he had never seen results like it. Toxic blood !

Understanding a bit about peating i am assuming this guy had a very fast metabolism naturally. I was wondering if the speed helped him live for so long. He said he still took it because it made him feel good.

sladerunner69

Ray Peat right again! ;)

Yep that's all there is too it.

I mean at least it sounds like he was running on carbs and sugar. And smoking does have one main benefit which is to upregulate thyroid, although much of the additives now are cancerous and smoke itself is estrogenic. But yeah, I'm not sure what speed is exactly, half meth and half cocaine? I saw that cocaine upregulates the metabolism but also releases stress hormones. I dont know about meth, but observing some users it helps to keep you skinny.

encerent

I think he looked great for a 70 year old too. Pretty good skin and hairline. Maybe he was doing some anti-aging things he - for some reason - didn't want to write about in his autobiography.

kayumochi

Years back in Japan I met a 90-year-old man with a cigarette in one hand and a glass of whiskey in the other. And he had a full head of hair with a mind as sharp as a tack. I can only guess he never gave a second thought to what he ate but ate a simple Japanese diet like others of his generation and had known hard times when little to nothing was available to eat. His son had died a few years before of prostate cancer.

J

James IV

Awesome fellow, but I wouldn't consider him a picture of health. He probably lived as long as he did because he was a creature of habit.

Waffler

Awesome fellow, but I wouldn't consider him a picture of health. He probably lived as long as he did because he was a creature of habit.

He truly lived the rock star life with all it's excesses. Here's a picture of him a few days before he died.

upload_2017-5-16_14-51-39.png

Wagner83

Social interactions, an exciting life, medicine (pacemaker etc..). Maybe he took lsd from time to time.

Herbie

This reminds me of a quote by actor Michael Caine currently 84 years of age.

“I used to drink a bottle of vodka a day and I was smoking several packs a day.”

Queequeg

Living to 70 was probably part of the deal he signed at the crossroads

Marg

Ray has written about prenatal imprinting and the positive and negative downstream affects that can manifest througout one's life.

My guess is that he had a positive environment in his formative years, and could withstand the level of toxic assault from his lifestyle that a person like myself, as I try to heal, could not tolerate. He probably was born at home and didn't have all the "prental care" amd medicalization that prevails today. There is alot of scaremongering about home births today andI think that hospital births are traumatic for the baby.

ETA I was posting a few years ago as MAS, and I didn't post for a couple of years. We changed our internet provider too. There are quite a few members here since I posted, so I would like to say hello to all and I am glad to be back

sladerunner69

Ray has written about prenatal imprinting and the positive and negative downstream affects that can manifest througout one's life.

My guess is that he had a positive environment in his formative years, and could withstand the level of toxic assault from his lifestyle that a person like myself, as I try to heal, could not tolerate. He probably was born at home and didn't have all the "prental care" amd medicalization that prevails today. There is alot of scaremongering about home births today andI think that hospital births are traumatic for the baby.

ETA I was posting a few years ago as MAS, and I didn't post for a couple of years. We changed our internet provider too. There are quite a few members here since I posted, so I would like to say hello to all and I am glad to be back

Yeah, or this just shows how healthy it can be to drink a bucket of coca cola everyday. He was probably saved by eating lots of sugar and having a decent thyroid from all the nicotine.

revenant

Also the dopamine boost from speed could be longevity-promoting.

I think Lemmy looked pretty good for a long time, until he was 60-something, but suddenly aged very rapidly, probably because of the aggressive prostate cancer. Speaking of which, all that sugar didn't spare him from getting prostate cancer. I guess the junk food didn't help.

I think he dramatized his lifestyle a little bit for his readers and ate high quality catering foods. All poor countries are carb heavy and die early and diseased and stunted, not too sure about his coke habit, maybe he means cocaine again =]. Insulin as a supplement rescued him from being totally ****88 up from glucotoxicity.

Peat Tong

Lemmy quotes from The Guardian:

I don't eat vegetables. I eat potatoes and green beans and that's it. I don't care if you eat 200 artichokes, you still won't last through a tour. Mushy peas, I like. brussels sprouts, foul. I won't eat anything with onions in whatsoever, I hate them – me and Ringo Starr have that in common.

in the early 60s, The basic diet consisted of creamed rice [ rice pudding ]. Punch two holes in the can with an old beer-bottle opener and you can suck the Ambrosia out, no problem.

Girls used to steal food to feed us. I knew one bird who could steal a box of cereal from a shop while only wearing a tiny mini-skirt and T-shirt. Where Phyllis hid the cornflakes I'll never know.

My rider is a few biscuits, a few cakes, a meat plate, a cheese plate, some cigs, some JDs.

I make a very good steak. I've never worn an apron – it's beyond all reason. I prefer a completely splatter-free diver's outfit in the kitchen.