Leftism and Coffee

Have you noticed a connection between Leftism and Coffee?

• Yes, a lot

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • Not often but sometimes

Votes: 13 36.1%
  • Not at all

Votes: 16 44.4%

• Total voters

michael94

Im not going to list out the connections because Im curious if anyone else has noticed this - Leftism and Coffee being linked.

marcar72

Im curious if anyone else has noticed this - Leftism and Coffee being linked.

I've noticed it. It seems to be a cultural thing going back decades from what little I've read. Here's a local example that I stumbled upon while grocery shopping earlier this year.

OP
michael94

michael94

I've noticed it. It seems to be a cultural thing going back decades from what little I've read. Here's a local example that I stumbled upon while grocery shopping earlier this year.

There are a few articles I found on the phenomenon with a quick google search and even a study on the "Liberal Latté" stereotype. The conclusion was that they are more likely to want to support a global economy, but that doesnt make sense because according to the study conservatives were more likely to prefer plain coffee, without milk which at least in America is almost always locally produced. The researchers called this "ironic", which is a way to cope with their poorly thought out conclusion in my opinion. In addition, I dont associate global trade of foodstuffs that only grows/is made in certain regions with globalization/globalism. I think thats a healthy example of mutual trade.

Heres the study
Liberals Do Drink More Lattes, But Maybe Not For the Reasons You Think

no, but leftism and starbucks maybe
the second article is from 1997 so its not a recent trend

www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/12/24/what-cafes-did-for-liberalism

www.washingtonexaminer.com/weekly-standard/the-rise-of-the-latte-town

Last edited:

opethfeldt

I don't think there's any correlation but a study would be interesting. As mentioned, I do think leftists tend to buy "fancy" coffee from trendy cafes and places like Starbucks whereas I would expect a conservative to either make their own or just buy whatever is available. I think this is due to the fact liberals tend to care more what other people think and desire to fit in more.

meatbag

Im not going to list out the connections because Im curious if anyone else has noticed this - Leftism and Coffee being linked.
It looks like the NAZI's and adolf himself were decaf proponents

Why the Nazi Party Loved Decaf Coffee-The Third Reich pushed decaffeinated drinks as official state policy.​

Why the Nazi Party Loved Decaf Coffee
1624296314966.png

TheSir

In many cases, coffee fuels stress, which in turn fuels erratic thoughts, feelings and perceptions that eventually culminate in mental illness. The seeds for the Age of Enlightenment, which could be viewed as a cancerous outgrowth of the natural-ordered monarchies of the 1600s Europe, were sown in the first coffee shops. From here followed the long march against tradition, against natural inequality, and against God. Coffee disrupts the equilibrium between the physical and spiritual sides of man, diminishing his connection to the latter, and making him over-eager about the former. Hence the Age of Enlightenment became to be known as the Age of Reason, a cold zeitgeist in which only things objectively proven stood to offer any value. Liberals, having abandoned the spiritual, are inclined to obsess over the physical and its circumstances to the point of experiencing a pathological drive to turn Earth into an utopia. Coffee synergizes with this drive.

meatbag

In many cases, coffee fuels stress, which in turn fuels erratic thoughts, feelings and perceptions that eventually culminate in mental illness. The seeds for the Age of Enlightenment, which could be viewed as a cancerous outgrowth of the natural-ordered monarchies of the 1600s Europe, were sown in the first coffee shops. From here followed the long march against tradition, against natural inequality, and against God. Coffee disrupts the equilibrium between the physical and spiritual sides of man, diminishing his connection to the latter, and making him over-eager about the former. Hence the Age of Enlightenment became to be known as the Age of Reason, a cold zeitgeist in which only things objectively proven stood to offer any value. Liberals, having abandoned the spiritual, are inclined to obsess over the physical and its circumstances to the point of experiencing a pathological drive to turn Earth into an utopia. Coffee synergizes with this drive.
naturally ordered monarchies?

So people shouldn't work to improve their conditions and the conditions of others? Or you're asserting that a societies wealth should only be possessed by a few and everyone should work in the interest of these possessors?

It appears that caffeine increases neurosteroids that improve attention and memory formation;

Pharmacol Biochem Behav 2000 May;66(1):39-45. Caffeine-induced increases in the brain and plasma concentrations of neuroactive steroids in the rat. Concas A, Porcu P, Sogliano C, Serra M, Purdy RH, Biggio G. “A single intraperitoneal injection of caffeine induced dose- and time-dependent increases in the concentrations of pregnenolone, progesterone, and 3alpha-hydroxy-5alpha-pregnan-20-one (allopregnanolone) in the cerebral cortex.” “Caffeine also increased the plasma concentrations of pregnenolone and progesterone with a dose-response relation similar to that observed in the brain . . .” “Moreover, the brain and plasma concentrations of pregnenolone, progesterone, and allopregnanolone were not affected by caffeine in adrenalectomized-orchiectomized rats.”
-Caffeine: A vitamin-like nutrient, or adaptogen. Questions about tea and coffee, cancer and other degenerative diseases, and the hormones.

Caffeine Reverses Stress, Insulin Resistance, Hypertension
--
Do you have any citations for any of your claims?

gaze

I'm a marxist I drink mostly cheap instant coffee powder
didn't ray say somewhere he drinks folgers? for all ray cares about health, it's funny that he uses cheap coffee, conventional milk, and OJ concentrate. your average "health conscious" left and right are all elitist whole foods buyers or they shop at esoteric small markets/farmers markets only. Ray seems to enjoy eating the same foods as the masses

OP
michael94

michael94

didn't ray say somewhere he drinks folgers? for all ray cares about health, it's funny that he uses cheap coffee, conventional milk, and OJ concentrate. your average "health conscious" left and right are all elitist whole foods buyers or they shop at esoteric small markets/farmers markets only. Ray seems to enjoy eating the same foods as the masses
Yea in 2015 he and Danny Roddy said they would drink Folgers instant because I remember buying it for that reason lol.

I shop at Whole Foods AND Walmart.

gaze

Yea in 2015 he and Danny Roddy said they would drink Folgers instant because I remember buying it for that reason lol.

I shop at Whole Foods AND Walmart.
same to be honest. i shop at vons, costco, whole foods, farmers markets, etc. the whole spectrum. I just base it off each specific product i'm looking for. I never eat at restaurants or places like starbucks though, so I can probably afford to pay more for groceries than most. starbucks is horrible quality anyway

TheSir

naturally ordered monarchies?
Natural-ordered. i.e. in accordance with natural order. It really was a confusing choice of words.

So people shouldn't work to improve their conditions and the conditions of others? Or you're asserting that a societies wealth should only be possessed by a few and everyone should work in the interest of these possessors?
Heh, I'm not offering any 'shoulds'. I am trying to answer OP's question.

It appears that caffeine increases neurosteroids that improve attention and memory formation
There's a metabolic honeymoon period for all psychoactive substances -- which can likely be extended quite a bit insofar as the user is able to respond effectively to the accumulation of stress resulting from the use.

Do you have any citations for any of your claims?
Coffee drinkers have inferior emotional processing, more anxiety:

Even Peat says that coffee is beneficial only when one is able to avoid the stress response (which is harder the less healthy you are -- now consider how large portion of the population is unhealthy). Furthermore, Dr. Cherniske, who is the author of Caffeine Blues, shares how as many as 90% of his depressed coffee drinking patients saw their symptoms either diminish or go away completely after quitting all caffeine. Likewise, there are many psychologists who refuse to see the patient until they are sober from everything including caffeine.

There's of course plenty of research for and against caffeine to be found on the internet, offering one hours of entertainment. Yet, the undeniable reality is that caffeine causes a significant amount of mental distress in the population (even many users on this forum can affirm how they've never been able to make caffeine work for them). Those who're suffering the most tend to be genetically slow metabolizers, in whom the lengthened half-life of caffeine is going to disrupt their sleep regardless of how early in the day they ingest caffeine (not to mention the increased stress resulting from longer peak and comedown). Thus, never having a restful night's sleep, these people just keep on getting worse the longer they continue consuming caffeine.

Missenger

I thought someone here said Ray was getting roasted coffee from someone local after the folgers comment years back, the generic crap can be allergenic. Then people started saying Ray switched to farmer's milk after Haidut was going on about the additives in the organic crap.

I get a pretty bad stress response from instant. I agree with the empathy part to an extent regarding coffee, stress makes people less empathetic in general. Dopamine+stress hormones from the caffeine. Killing stress hormones makes it easy to chug it.

Last edited:
OP
michael94

michael94

Natural-ordered. i.e. in accordance with natural order. It really was a confusing choice of words.

There's a metabolic honeymoon period for all psychoactive substances -- which can likely be extended quite a bit insofar as the user is able to respond effectively to the accumulation of stress resulting from the use.

Even Peat says that coffee is beneficial only when one is able to avoid the stress response (which is harder the less healthy you are -- now consider how large portion of the population is unhealthy). Furthermore, Dr. Cherniske, who is the author of Caffeine Blues, shares how as many as 90% of his depressed coffee drinking patients saw their symptoms either diminish or go away completely after quitting all caffeine. Likewise, there are many psychologists who refuse to see the patient until they are sober from everything including caffeine.

There's of course plenty of research for and against caffeine to be found on the internet, offering one hours of entertainment. Yet, the undeniable reality is that caffeine causes a significant amount of mental distress in the population (even many users on this forum can affirm how they've never been able to make caffeine work for them). Those who're suffering the most tend to be genetically slow metabolizers, in whom the lengthened half-life of caffeine is going to disrupt their sleep regardless of how early in the day they ingest caffeine (not to mention the increased stress resulting from longer peak and comedown). Thus, never having a restful night's sleep, these people just keep on getting worse the longer they continue consuming caffeine.
I like unsweetened yerba maté lately and that has caffeine. Im not necessarily dogmatically against coffee, but certainly its something that my personality tends towards excess with (anything with caffeine).

TheSir

I like unsweetened yerba maté lately and that has caffeine. Im not necessarily dogmatically against coffee, but certainly its something that my personality tends towards excess with (anything with caffeine).
Yeah, same. I like using caffeine every now and then and enjoy its effects greatly, though they come with the price of subsequent 1-2 days of lethargy. Strictly speaking, I just don't believe it's good for me or many others.

SOMO

Balzac comes to mind when thinking of revolutionary writers that were hyped up on caffeine.

I do think caffeine is too stimulating for type-A personalities who are already rubbing people the wrong way with their forward attitude.

meatbag

naturally ordered according to whom?

Thanks, yeah I think if you look through the citations i that study and the literature on caffeine, the effects are dose dependent and also depend on glucose availability and liver glycogen. I realize it's tempting to simplify into good/bad absolutes rather than accepting that it is context dependent. It's explained nicely in this article from functionalps;
--
"Stepping on the Gas Pedal
The metabolic stimulation from coffee ingestion increases the metabolism, which is very friendly, if the metabolic support is adequate. Metabolic stimulators must be matched with adequate metabolic support, especially adequate blood glucose. The common symptom of feeling anxious or shaky after coffee consumption is from a lack of support, which causes low blood sugar (hypoglycemia)."
"Your “coffee tolerance” can be used as a barometer to measure health progression or lack there of. If you improve your tolerance to coffee, you’re likely headed in the right direction nutritionally. If this doesn’t happen, it could be time to reassess your strategies.

When your coffee tolerance is poor, it might say that the liver is suffering and is not storing glycogen very well and can’t back you up efficiently (by releasing glycogen) when there is excessive stimulation from coffee. It could also be a signal that you’re not following one or more of the rules listed in the previous section of this blog.

Hypothyroidism increases susceptibility to low blood sugar because of the effects of thyroid hormone on the liver. Hypothyroid individuals can have coffee intolerance symptoms for this reason and sometimes need to show extra caution when drinking coffee. Broda Barnes’ book “Hypoglycemia: It’s Not Your Mind, It’s Your Liver” is an excellent resource to explore this topic further.

Going the extra mile is sometimes necessary for those that are really susceptible to over stimulation from coffee. One such step is adding a little coffee to milk/sugar instead of adding milk/sugar to coffee. As you improve, you will be able to handle more coffee and progressively be less dependent upon support — you will be able to press harder on the metabolic gas pedal. Another option is sipping a little coffee with support throughout the day so you get a little stimulation without it being excessive.

Improved tolerance to coffee may also be accompanied by improvement in other things like sleep quality, energy levels, digestion, cravings, time to fatigue, calmness, and duration that you can comfortably go between meals. As the metabolic rate rises from consistent coffee consumption, the need for all nutrient increases so a sensible diet should consist of foodstuff that offer dense nutrition with few digestive inhibitors (such as ripe fruits, milk, eggs, shellfish, beef liver) rather than nutrient deficient foods (such as pasta, bread, cereals, packaged foods) or hard to digest foods (like raw vegetables, beans, nuts, and legumes)."
-Coffee Done Right – Tips to Help Avoid Coffee Intolerance – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals