LEDs: Pros? Cons? What Does Peat Say About Them?

pyttsan

Hi everyone,

Whoa, I'm now three months into P-eating, it's hot summer wheather and I've finally been able to get off serotonergic drugs and I feel sooo good! :) I feel my metabolism is finally getting back on track after several years of low-carb dieting, SSRI's and stressful living.

It's remarkable how good I feel only after an hour out in the sun and something that has really caught my interest lately is red light therapy. I'm interested in using it both on the head and on the face for firmer skin.

I noticed http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001MYQHNM/ was recommended in the supplements thread but there are many other more expensive alternatives out there, for example: http://www.emersonww.com/InfraredTherapy.htm

Do you know if all these fancy devices offers any real advantages, or could one just as well go with one or two cheap LED solar panels?

J

j.

Has Ray peat said anything about LED lights? I think I only heard him talk about incandescents.

Mittir

j. said:
Has Ray peat said anything about LED lights? I think I only heard him talk about incandescent.

He did mention in interview that any source of red light including LED, LASER, Sun light, Incandescent bulb,
will activate Cytochrome oxidase, the respiratory enzyme. Most red light experiments used either laser or led.
But he did not recommend any specific LED product. Incandescent light has both orange and red, and LED has only
one red light frequency. There are lots of studies on red LED.

J

j.

Considering that incandescent lights have some blue waves, it's sort of very natural to try find a way of avoiding that wave while getting the good ones. I wonder if having incandescents but then adding that red led panel provokes a good effect.

Mittir

j. said:
Considering that incandescent lights have some blue waves, it's sort of very natural to try find a way of avoiding that wave while getting the good ones. I wonder if having incandescents but then adding that red led panel provokes a good effect.

Adding red LED panel will definitely improve things.
We have to use incandescent for general lighting purpose.
Incandescent light has very little blue light and it provides extra heat.
I read some where that a large number of led
diode is needed to get significant benefits.
I have not seen any reputable company making red led panel.
Some beauty salons are using big LED panel for skin tightening and
rejuvenation with good results. I hope reliable products
should be in the market soon.

OP
P

pyttsan

Ohhh nooooo.. Summer has now come to an end and I can feel it already - I feel cold all the time and depressive symptoms are coming back.
I definitely need to get started on red light therapy. Does anyone have any advice on what to get?

burtlancast

I've found some very affordable LED lights pannels using 5w bulbs.
http://www.topledgrowlight.com

They are made in China, but do give 3 years warranty, and offer to custom build according to one's preferences when it comes to wavelenghts.

jyb

burtlancast said:
http://www.topledgrowlight.com

They are made in China, but do give 3 years warranty, and offer to custom build according to one's preferences when it comes to wavelenghts.

I've been curious about those LED lights. It costs quite a bit so I haven't ordered. What's your experience with them?

burtlancast

jyb said:
burtlancast said:
http://www.Top Led Grow Light Family

I've been curious about those LED lights. It costs quite a bit so I haven't ordered. What's your experience with them?

The only experience with LEDS i have is the few 75W equivalents i bought to replace incandescents.

I've lurked at them for a long time, and stumbled on this forum thread at grasscity.com titled "Top Led Grow Light Family" presenting the LEDS pannels made by "Top Led Grow Light Family".

After spending 5 hours going through all 76 pages of the thread, i couldn't find one single buyer being negative about their products.

Their EBAY store marks 700 buys without a single negative rating (!)

They all pretty much rave about these new LEDS, as they replace advantageously the High Intensity discharge lamps they use for their plants.

The frequencies they cover are 430~440nm, 450~475nm 620~630nm, 650~660nm, IR, and white.

The interesting thing is they offer flowering panels with just red, IR, and white LEDS , and one can customize them for a small fee.

So i thought i would post this here, as these frequencies cover the ones advised by Ray, and considering they are pretty much the cheapest LEDS around pricewise, something that has bugged up to now just about everyone.

narouz

I don't mean to distract unduly from RedLightMan's excellent light.

But I was at Home Depot and was wondering about these kind of LED work lights...

All-Pro 2500 Lumen LED Portable Work Light-WL2540LP - The Home Depot

...ad says, in part...

• LED Lumen output equivalent to a 300-Watt halogen work light
  • 80% cooler than a 500-Watt halogen work light
Well...I know...many unknowns.
Mainly, what wavelengths/spectrum?
But seems like the technology is coming along at at mass level.
That's a lot of power--and cool power.
I don't know how to compare it, power-wise, to RLM's red light.
The Home Depot light is 2500 lumen.
I don't think RLM's light is rated that way...is it?

Mountain

tara

Back
Top Bottom