Lectins and other disruptors real influence (as stated in the plant paradox)

Mingo

Steven Gundry states in summary:

- avoid lectins in any form (high content plant food or animals that ate them and couldn't digest them) and;
- the following 7 major disruptors:
o broad spectrum antibiotics
o nonsteroidal anti inflammatory drugs (ibuprofen, naproxen, etc) - NSAIDs
o stomach acid blockers
o artificial sweeteners (all except stevia),
o endocrine disruptors (plastics, cosmetics, preservatives, sunscreens, cash register receipts, DDE),
o GMOs and herbicide roundup,
o blue light

My main question is what's the real marginal influence of any of them ? which one is the worst?

I have been trying to eliminate as much as possible but I don't know if the eliminated ones influence could compensate the non-eliminated influence on my body

Current personal relation to each item:
- Lectins: occasional grain fed chicken eggs, white rice, potatoes, white sourdough bread
- Disruptors:
o No antibiotics for 2+ years to the date
o No NSAIDs for 1+ year to the date
o No stomach acid blockers for 2+ years to the date
o No artificial sweeteners for 2+ weeks to the date
o Endocrine disruptors: only common pharma soap on hands and armpits averaging once a day; cologne once a week. no shampoo nor toothpaste
o GMOs and herbicides: i ignore if leafy greens and fruit i eat are modified, but i do wash them with tap water (no fluor on my area) before eating
o blue light: i use flux on my notebook on the candle-ish light at any hour and use yellow lightbulb for reading before bed, try to keep my house the darkest i can at night

Appreciate your justified comments

DNM

Steven Gundry states in summary:

- avoid lectins in any form (high content plant food or animals that ate them and couldn't digest them) and;
- the following 7 major disruptors:
o broad spectrum antibiotics
o nonsteroidal anti inflammatory drugs (ibuprofen, naproxen, etc) - NSAIDs
o stomach acid blockers
o artificial sweeteners (all except stevia),
o endocrine disruptors (plastics, cosmetics, preservatives, sunscreens, cash register receipts, DDE),
o GMOs and herbicide roundup,
o blue light

My main question is what's the real marginal influence of any of them ? which one is the worst?

I have been trying to eliminate as much as possible but I don't know if the eliminated ones influence could compensate the non-eliminated influence on my body

Current personal relation to each item:
- Lectins: occasional grain fed chicken eggs, white rice, potatoes, white sourdough bread
- Disruptors:
o No antibiotics for 2+ years to the date
o No NSAIDs for 1+ year to the date
o No stomach acid blockers for 2+ years to the date
o No artificial sweeteners for 2+ weeks to the date
o Endocrine disruptors: only common pharma soap on hands and armpits averaging once a day; cologne once a week. no shampoo nor toothpaste
o GMOs and herbicides: i ignore if leafy greens and fruit i eat are modified, but i do wash them with tap water (no fluor on my area) before eating
o blue light: i use flux on my notebook on the candle-ish light at any hour and use yellow lightbulb for reading before bed, try to keep my house the darkest i can at night

Appreciate your justified comments
FFS, do NOT eat any gluten. Not even sourdough. No-one -- I repeat no-one -- needs gluten; no-one benefits from it; anywhere, ever. Except maybe as a laxative. (Heh.)

The one thing that changed my digestive life was going gluten-free, cold turkey, for almost 10y. After 1w, I had no gas at all, almost no burping and did not wake up in the middle of the night with my dinner still in my stomach ("Must be the 'spicy' food I ate/the garlic" was what I told myself). I lost weight and cleared up my brain fog.

The others: meh. I've had some stomach issues on beans, but not if I soak them for 18h+, then (with a change of water) cook them for 1h in a pressure cooker, then drain and eat. Proper (traditional) preparation of lectin-heavy foods will pretty much nullify them. E.g., peel and de-seed your cucumbers (or ferment them like kosher dills), etc.

Also, correction: stevia is not an artificial sweetner; it's a plant/plant extract.

OP
M

Mingo

FFS, do NOT eat any gluten. Not even sourdough. No-one -- I repeat no-one -- needs gluten; no-one benefits from it; anywhere, ever. Except maybe as a laxative. (Heh.)

The one thing that changed my digestive life was going gluten-free, cold turkey, for almost 10y. After 1w, I had no gas at all, almost no burping and did not wake up in the middle of the night with my dinner still in my stomach ("Must be the 'spicy' food I ate/the garlic" was what I told myself). I lost weight and cleared up my brain fog.

The others: meh. I've had some stomach issues on beans, but not if I soak them for 18h+, then (with a change of water) cook them for 1h in a pressure cooker, then drain and eat. Proper (traditional) preparation of lectin-heavy foods will pretty much nullify them. E.g., peel and de-seed your cucumbers (or ferment them like kosher dills), etc.

Also, correction: stevia is not an artificial sweetner; it's a plant/plant extract.
thanks for your comments.

dabdabdab

what's your diet like?
since most food have either Lectins or PUFAs and oxalates.
rice is a staple in my diet, can't imagine eating overcooked rice because it becomes meshy.

DNM

what's your diet like?
since most food have either Lectins or PUFAs and oxalates.
rice is a staple in my diet, can't imagine eating overcooked rice because it becomes meshy.
I eat meat, mostly beef and chicken. I steer clear of fish because of the "E"FAs, and cannot eat shellfish and molluscs because I have a mild allergy to them (doubtless from what gluten did to my gut over 3+ decades). I'll drink stock ("bone broth") and I take a glycine powder whenever I take a whey protein supplement (to balance out any tryptophan that might be in there). I eat gluten-free pasta (rice and/or corn) and white rice, which is still better than brown rice. I eat oranges, cheese, coconut milk, coffee, butter, MCT oil, salads with romaine lettuce, carrots, cucumbers (peeled and de-seeded), salad dressings are made of MCT oil, plain white vinegar, Na/K salt and hot sauce (bad, I know). I'll also eat chili (stock + beef or turkey with beans prepared as described above + a tomato base and spices, cooked for hours in a crock pot).

I'm not dogmatic about most things, except for gluten, which i never eat. I try to steer clear of PUFAs, but I often fail. I also drink too much cider and liquor, else I'd be in much better shape. I should also eat fewer nightshades, but life is to be enjoyed...

Last edited:
OP
M

Mingo

I eat meat, mostly beef and chicken. I steer clear of fish because of the "E"FAs, and cannot eat shellfish and molluscs because I have a mild allergy to them (doubtless from what gluten did to my gut over 3+ decades). I'll drink stock ("bone broth") and I take a glycine powder whenever I take a whey protein supplement (to balance out any tryptophan that might be in there). I eat gluten-free pasta (rice and/or corn) and white rice, which is still better than brown rice. I eat oranges, cheese, coconut milk, coffee, butter, MCT oil, salads with romaine lettuce, carrots, cucumbers (peeled and de-seeded), salad dressings are made of MCT oil, plain white vinegar, Na/K salt and hot sauce (bad, I know). I'll also eat chili (stock + beef or turkey with beans prepared as described above + a tomato base and spices, cooked for hours in a crock pot).

I'm not dogmatic about most things, except for gluten, which i never eat. I try to steer clear of PUFAs, but I often fail. I also drink too much cider and liquor, else I'd be in much better shape. I should also eat fewer nightshades, but life is to be enjoyed...
your diet seems pretty low on lectins, which is good. the problem nowadays is that gluten (probably the most known lectin) is one of many that causes damage to the body. for example if the cow ate grains, its meat will be full of lectins. same with eggs from chickens. that's why grass fed and grass finished red meat is key, so are pastured eggs

DNM

your diet seems pretty low on lectins, which is good. the problem nowadays is that gluten (probably the most known lectin) is one of many that causes damage to the body. for example if the cow ate grains, its meat will be full of lectins. same with eggs from chickens. that's why grass fed and grass finished red meat is key, so are pastured eggs
Yep, but for me gluten is the major one. Modern (North American) wheat has been hybridized (not GM'ed) to make it more drought tolerant and more productive, which is a good thing for starving populations that can tolerate it (hint: not most European-descended folks, particularly not Celts). The Britons and Insular Celts in particular did not have wheat until only a few thousand years ago. Hence my claim that no-one with even a shred of Northern European DNA should ever touch the stuff -- it's likely that you won't do well on it. But no-one **thrives** on it.

I forgot to mention that nightshades can be improved by fermentation (fermented tomatoes and peppers make great sauce -- just treat them like sauerkraut or kosher dills and ferment them in a light brine). Also, the traditional Italian way of making tomato sauce is to cook it on low heat with oil, stirring constantly for many, many hours -- this nullifies most of the lectins. Also tomatoes are typically blanched, peeled and de-seeded (skin and seeds are where most of the lectins reside -- this goes for rice hulls, too).

In an ideal world, we would all avoid lectins, whose purpose is to make the seeds indigestible enough to pass out the other side with some "fertilizer" (i.e., poop). But the world is what it is, and they're so damned delicious. And I don't live on a grass-fed, enclosure-free farm, so grass-fed beef and free-range poultry products are pricey.

I also eat a ton of eggs. Forgot to mention that. Just the run-of-the-mill cheap eggs you find in the supermarket.

[Edit: I wonder whether cooking meats and eggs nullifies most of the trace lectins in them. Maybe that's why I can tolerate them well. Dunno.]