Learning A New Language With Free Online Tutoring

charlie

The Law & Order Admin
I have decided to learn a new language. Since I could not get English correct, might as well move onto something else. :lol:

This is an awesome program I just found and it is free:

http://duolingo.com/

kiran

Cool. I wonder how long it takes it learn a language.

kettlebell

It takes Ray Peat a weekend to learn how to speak a language.

For someone like me who doesnt have an iq of 180+, months - a few years realistically, depending in time spent practicing.

If you move to another country with no skill in their language you can be speaking and communicating relatively well in weeks.

Good luck Charlie! Which language are you going to choose?

cliff

thanks for posting this its pretty sweet

charlie

The Law & Order Admin
kiran said:
Cool. I wonder how long it takes it learn a language.

Gosh, beats me. I know what little bit I already learned totally put a beating on my brain. :lol: Going to have to up the vitamin B1 and sugar I guess.

kettlebell said:
Good luck Charlie! Which language are you going to choose?

Spanish. All my moms side of the family is from Spain.

cliff said:
thanks for posting this its pretty sweet

Cliff, you are very welcome. It seems to do an excellent job of teaching.

Rolan

Just thinking about loearning French and the bets way to do - saw this thread by chance! Or was it chance?

Either way, thanks for posting

EDIT: ^^^Probably 'bets' to 'loearn' English first :oops:

montmorency

Languages are a bit of a hobby with me as well, not that I claim to be a gifted linguist - quite the opposite.

There are lots of good resources on the web for languages nowadays, many of them completely free.

Listening to podcasts, especially if they have transcripts, is one good resource, and I'm pretty sure there are free ones in Spanish around, that have transcripts. You probably need to be at least advanced-beginner to intermediate before you can begin to make good use out of them though.

The Michel Thomas basic course in Spanish is pretty good, I reckon.

There are lots of good ideas on this forum:

How to learn any language forum

Unfortunately its forum software and database are a bit old, and it can get very slow sometimes. However, I've found some very good ideas there, and some very talented people.

Hasta la vista baby. :):

Luann

Duolingo's good. Memrise is too. I learned Russian online and turned out okay. Virtually any do-it-yourself program is better than a structured "class" (think Khan academy and solo learning :) )

lindsay

Duolingo's good. Memrise is too. I learned Russian online and turned out okay. Virtually any do-it-yourself program is better than a structured "class" (think Khan academy and solo learning :) )

Здравствуйте! Как дела? :)

Luann

Da nemnoga ustali
A ya dolzhna izuchat tozhe : (

Kak delishki

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Lokzo Network machine learning maps phytochemically rich “Hyperfoods” to fight COVID-19 Diet 1
TypicalJock Where Can I Start Learning? Ask For Help or Advice 2
J Learning Correct Breathing Techniques For Weight -/+ Altitude, Bag Breathing, CO2, Light, Weather 5
mrchibbs (Coming Soon) A New Landscape Of Life And Learning With Ray Peat (Butter Living Podcast) Audio Interview Transcripts 0
Inaut Ray Peat Interview A New Landscape Of Life And Learning With Ray Peat (Butter Living Podcast Interviews 2
theLaw Ray Peat Interview A New Landscape Of Life And Learning With Ray Peat (Butter Living Podcast) Interviews 1
Chris-R Learning To Appreciate The Stress Metabolism (weird I Know) Logs 13
L T3 Doesn’t Improve Learning In Old Mice Scientific Studies 5
L Learning New Vocabulary During Deep Sleep Articles & Scientific Studies 0
G Learning To Dairy Farm Miscellaneous 10
haidut Novel (learning) Experiences Can Be A Buffer Against Workplace Stress Scientific Studies 13
Amazoniac Unpredictability, Learning, And The Helpless State Articles & Scientific Studies 16
N Beginner Just Learning The Ropes. Mind Reviewing My Recent Blood Work? Blood Work, Labs 7
P Learning To Like Coffee Diet, Recipes 2
haidut Bees Are Capable Of Higher Learning Just Like Humans Scientific Studies 1
M Pregnenolone Enhances Learning, Memory, Stamina And Reduces Stress Supplements 9
scarlettsmum Learning Ask For Help or Advice 0
P Soft-diet Feeding Decreases Dopamine Release And Impairs Aversion Learning In Alzheimer Model Rats Articles & Scientific Studies 4
haidut Even Organisms Without Neurons Are Capable Of Intelligence And Learning Scientific Studies 10
haidut Brain Levels Of Gaba Predict Tactile Learning Ability Mind, Sleep, Stress 24
sweetly Light exposure before learning improves memory consolidation at night. Light 0
sweetly Chronic Aspirin Ingestion Improves Spatial Learning In Adult And Aged Rats Mind, Sleep, Stress 0
J Serotonin Depletion Prevents Aversive Learning Scientific Studies 4
haidut Microwave Exposure Increases Serotonin And Impairs Learning Mind, Sleep, Stress 29
S How Curiosity Changes The Brain To Enhance Learning Health 1
S Best Way To Read/study When Learning At University Health 9
J This pill gives you the learning powers of a 7-year old Articles & Scientific Studies 2
J Learning to draw/paint ? Miscellaneous 4
P Hiya new here and learning Meet & Greet 2
kiran Learning to draw Miscellaneous 19
michael94 Quick Tip About English ( English Language ) Miscellaneous Health Discussions 26
Dan Wich KMUD 7-21-17 Language And Criticism, Estrogen (Part 2) KMUD Radio-The Herb Doctors 17
Dan Wich KMUD 6-16-17 Language And Criticism, Estrogen KMUD Radio-The Herb Doctors 15
Herbie Question About Scientific Language In Mainstream Media Scientific Studies 1
Diokine Anabolic And Catabolic – An Examination Of The Language Ray Peat Topics 3
Blinkyrocket Language is a virus Breaking News 27
charlie Academic Authoritarians, Language, Metaphor, Animals. Articles & Newsletters 0
M F*** Portion Control supplements for free in canada Digestion 20
DANIEL Make Sure Your Eggs Are Soy-Free! Diet 15
Drareg Europe "COVID19" bailout marches on, trillions for free! Articles & Scientific Studies 4
RealNeat Cell Free Mitochondria? Scientific Studies 2
C Is Free T3 A Good Measure Of Thyroid Function When Taking NDT? Blood Work, Labs 14
Twohandsondeck Panera Bread Offers 32 Ounces Of Coffee Every 2 Hours For 90 Days For Free Society 1
Hans My Starch Free And Zero Fiber Experiment Articles & Scientific Studies 330
R Blood Tests - Prolactin, Testosterone, SHBG, LH, FSH, TSH, Free T4, Ferritin Blood Work, Labs 2
Drareg WHO Flip-Flops Again, Endorses Sweden's Lockdown-Free Approach To Tackling Coronavirus: Viruses, Parasites, Fungus, Vaccines 19
RealNeat What Is The Best Free Speech Platform/ Social Media? Ask For Help or Advice 11
teds Almonds Etc- How To Avoid Pufa In Gluten Free Baking? Diet, Recipes 3
Jake sullivan Results/experiences On A Fat Free Diet? Testimonials 36
A Failing On Gluten Free Diet Discussing Dietary Models 14