Learned Helplessness, MS Story

HDD

Forgetting I Have MS - LewRockwell LewRockwell.com

"Blaming the illness gives patients a way out; a way to not be responsible for the difficulties they are facing. But something happens when you blame the illness — you become a VICTIM of that illness.
And being a victim leads to a feeling of helplessness. If you are a victim, then something was done to you, forcefully and against your will."

"I believe that “victim mentality” has infiltrated every aspect of our society, and it’s hurting our health and wellness. When a person learns they have an illness, oftentimes they don’t think, “Okay.. doctors say THIS thing is wrong with my body, how can I fix it?”
Most of the time they think, “Doctors say this thing is wrong with my body, I guess I’ll have to take medicine and deal with this thing for the rest of my life.” The patient feels disempowered to make any real changes in their health."

Your Own Health And Fitness: Thyroid/Progesterone And Diet
RAY PEAT: I thought that was a good context you created talking about the helplessness thing because since Dr. Lee’s book came out, I’ve been hearing from people who say I just want progesterone for my bones or whatever and I think the real meaning of any of these natural supplements or substances is that they participate in everything, their physiology and ecology are tied together in a system and these things are important because they are sort of central links in this ecological, physiological system, but even insight, the perception of power or helplessness, can make a tremendous difference in how these hormones work and when people think of them as products or drugs, they are almost certain to misuse them in some way.

Constatine

Forgetting I Have MS - LewRockwell LewRockwell.com

"Blaming the illness gives patients a way out; a way to not be responsible for the difficulties they are facing. But something happens when you blame the illness — you become a VICTIM of that illness.
And being a victim leads to a feeling of helplessness. If you are a victim, then something was done to you, forcefully and against your will."

"I believe that “victim mentality” has infiltrated every aspect of our society, and it’s hurting our health and wellness. When a person learns they have an illness, oftentimes they don’t think, “Okay.. doctors say THIS thing is wrong with my body, how can I fix it?”
Most of the time they think, “Doctors say this thing is wrong with my body, I guess I’ll have to take medicine and deal with this thing for the rest of my life.” The patient feels disempowered to make any real changes in their health."

Your Own Health And Fitness: Thyroid/Progesterone And Diet
RAY PEAT: I thought that was a good context you created talking about the helplessness thing because since Dr. Lee’s book came out, I’ve been hearing from people who say I just want progesterone for my bones or whatever and I think the real meaning of any of these natural supplements or substances is that they participate in everything, their physiology and ecology are tied together in a system and these things are important because they are sort of central links in this ecological, physiological system, but even insight, the perception of power or helplessness, can make a tremendous difference in how these hormones work and when people think of them as products or drugs, they are almost certain to misuse them in some way.
:clapping:

L

lollipop

Sooooo agree with this. Look at the desperation “victim” mentality generates. Heart breaking really.

zewe

Another way to look at the, "victim mentality," is to understand the, "Savior Complex," which is so rampant in society.

The savior complex keeps people from doing/investigating for themselves. Instead, the doctor, the medicine, the supplements, etc. are the saviors.

Religion is a promoter of this type of mentality too.

To my thinking, the Savior Complex is one of the most limiting memes ever to raise it's head amongst the peoples of this planet. And you can bet that it is fostered by many of our institutions.

SOMO

Another way to look at the, "victim mentality," is to understand the, "Savior Complex," which is so rampant in society.

The savior complex keeps people from doing/investigating for themselves. Instead, the doctor, the medicine, the supplements, etc. are the saviors.

Religion is a promoter of this type of mentality too.

To my thinking, the Savior Complex is one of the most limiting memes ever to raise it's head amongst the peoples of this planet. And you can bet that it is fostered by many of our institutions.

Yes, but religion and belief in some deity also helps people get through hard times.

If you were just diagnosed with terminal incurable cancer, it's probably better to believe that some deity has your best interest at heart and can grant you some willpower by proxy than to just collapse inwards from the fear of having an illness.

Not everyone has the capacity to deal with stress or great trauma in their lives, and if religion gives them just a tiny bit more stress tolerance, then it's a good thing.

zewe

Yes, but religion and belief in some deity also helps people get through hard times.

If you were just diagnosed with terminal incurable cancer, it's probably better to believe that some deity has your best interest at heart and can grant you some willpower by proxy than to just collapse inwards from the fear of having an illness.

Not everyone has the capacity to deal with stress or great trauma in their lives, and if religion gives them just a tiny bit more stress tolerance, then it's a good

Point taken. What about the saying, "God helps those who help themselves."?

I'm not here to bash people's beliefs or, the comfort taken from them.

When a man seeks to gain liberation from health problems, depression, toxic relationships, etc., he may seek out assistance from a doctor, a therapist, advice from a friend or forum member but in the end,
he can only do this by his own efforts, by his own concentrated will power.

Oneself, indeed, is one's savior, for what other savior would there be?

thomas00

"But when we’re talking about the average person and their health conditions, there are no victims."

Yeah, that's some bull**** moralizing.

"For every medical condition I can think of, there are things the person can do to improve their situation."

And that's some hubris.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals