Learned helplessness is actually backwards, helplessness is innate in mammals and does not have to be learned, helpfulness is what is actually learned

ReSTART

In the original model of learned helplessness, it's assumed that animals notice a lack of control (ability to escape). It's actually the opposite, a lack of control, or you could say helplessness, is expected and innate.

Learned helplessness, the failure to escape shock induced by uncontrollable aversive events, was discovered half a century ago. Seligman and Maier (1967) theorized that animals learned that outcomes were independent of their responses—that nothing they did mattered – and that this learning undermined trying to escape. The mechanism of learned helplessness is now very well-charted biologically and the original theory got it backwards. Passivity in response to shock is not learned. It is the default, unlearned response to prolonged aversive events and it is mediated by the serotonergic activity of the dorsal raphe nucleus, which in turn inhibits escape. This passivity can be overcome by learning control, with the activity of the medial prefrontal cortex, which subserves the detection of control leading to the automatic inhibition of the dorsal raphe nucleus. So animals learn that they can control aversive events, but the passive failure to learn to escape is an unlearned reaction to prolonged aversive stimulation. In addition, alterations of the ventromedial prefrontal cortex-dorsal raphe pathway can come to subserve the expectation of control. We speculate that default passivity and the compensating detection and expectation of control may have substantial implications for how to treat depression.

Missenger

Last edited:
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
bzmazu Learned Helplessness is Here..... Society 19
Mauritio Fasoracetam upregulates GABA-B receptors and reduces learned helplessness Scientific Studies 14
dilantinoid Powerful Against Learned Helplessness Ask For Help or Advice 12
D Learned Helplessness And Anhedonia Mental Issues 8
Marcine Corona Mass Learned Helplessness Mental Issues 5
GutFeeling Reversal Of Learned Helplessness By SSRIs In Rats Is Not Dependent On 5-HT Availability Scientific Studies 0
haidut The Government Knows Stress Causes "learned Helplessness" / Depression Scientific Studies 2
haidut Stress And Learned Helplessness May Be The Main Cause Of Dementia Scientific Studies 27
Peatogenic Learned Helplessness/low Grade To High Grade Trauma/when I Realized Diet Wasn't Enough Experiments 13
haidut Nitrous Oxide (N2O) Prevents Suicidal Behavior, Reverses Learned Helplessness Scientific Studies 56
H Learned Helplessness, MS Story Ray Peat Topics 7
pete Learned Helplessness And Learned Optimism Society 1
cyclops Learned Helplessness In The Solar Plexus Mental Issues 22
Velve921 1x A Month - Exhaustion/Learned Helplessness Increases - Thoughts? Ask For Help or Advice 20
M Milk's Log. Orthotropics, TMJ, Learned Helplessness. Expert Advice Appreciated Logs 6
Xisca The Freeze Response At The Root Of "learned" Helplessness Mind, Sleep, Stress 110
L Overcoming Learned Helplessness Mind, Sleep, Stress 29
Dopamine Nicotine Is An Anti-Depressant And Reverses Learned Helplessness Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 102
J Freewheel Running Prevents Learned Helplessness (How Would This Fit Into Peat's View Of Exercise? Exercise 5
burtlancast Learned Helplessness, KMUD, 2013 Audio Interview Transcripts 6
haidut Many psychiatric drugs are useless, cause learned helplessness Scientific Studies 6
CellularIconoclast Escaping Learned Helplessness Ray Peat Quotes 151
charlie KMUD: 9-20-13 Learned Helplessness, Nervousness KMUD Radio-The Herb Doctors 8
R Enhancing Motivation And Overcoming "Learned Helplessness" Mind, Sleep, Stress 45
bzmazu 10 Things We Have Learned During the Covid Coup Viruses, Parasites, Fungus, Vaccines 7
yerrag Just Learned From Experience Bicarbonate Intake Isn't the Real Solution, May Even Cause Problems Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 20
thingsvarious I Have Tried It All: T4, T3-only, T3/T4-combo, NDT. Here I Share What I Learned T3 105
DANIEL Lesson Learned: Dropping All Supplements Is Peat Approved Supplements 48
thingsvarious I Tried Out Every Diet Under The Sun. Here I Share What I Learned Diet 58
thingsvarious I Replace All My Hormones. Here Is What I Learned Experiments 41
ecstatichamster What I Learned About Frequent Severe Headaches Recently Ask For Help or Advice 16
methylenewhite EVERYTHING We Learned About Butter And Beef Fat Is Not True Anymore Diet 71
Mito Dairy Foods, Dairy Fat, Diabetes, And Death: What Can Be Learned From 3 Large New Investigations? Articles & Scientific Studies 8
F Just Learned That Ray Peat Has A Brother Ray Peat Topics 26
jzeno Guide To Ray Peat: Simple, User-friendly Guide To Applying Lessons Learned From The Research Of RP Experiments 24
S Learned Response From My Immune System? Health 4
Lecarpetron Finding Sleepiness. Lessons Learned Insomnia, Sleep Issues 5
lindsay Things I've Learned About Foods From Having Pet Snails Diet 35
P Methylene Blue Facilitates The Extinction Of Fear In An Animal Model Of Susceptibility To Learned He Scientific Studies 6
Nicholas My Top 10 Things Learned Through Peat Health 10
Blossom Lesson Learned Testimonials 5
M Some things I've learned Testimonials 7
taesch Learned a bunch thanks to Dr.Peat but... Meet & Greet 18
jaketthomas Things that I've learned from Peat-ing 75 days... Discussing Dietary Models 21
haidut Fasting ineffective for shrinking belly fat, may actually increase it Scientific Studies 4
R Beta-alanine actually works for the burn during exercise (lactic acid) Amino Acids 0
F What is it that actually fails in the body the moment you become hypothyroid as a result of chronic stress? Ask For Help or Advice 5
yerrag Please... I'm wracking my brain... but pls. give me an instance our miltary actually defended its people. Political Talk, Alternative World Theories 10
koreus Your Textbooks Are Wrong, This Is What Cells Actually Look Like Articles & Scientific Studies 7
Opioidus Is There A Medication That Actually Antagonizes Estrogen? Male Issues 15